PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast

djrikstar
22nd January, 2012, 11:01 PM
Im going to be sorting out a vu+ box for customer tomorrow. I normally only deal with openbox but took on the job of saying i will get someone vu+ duo up and running early tomorrow.

We got box from amazon for ?308 the question is wherte do i start lol.

I said i will fit hd in for him. It looks simple just take the cover off and plug it into sata. Simple enough.
But the question is once i go through wizard of setting it up do i add plugins for cams and after i done that how do i add line via usb stick??

Also whats best image to use and a boutique that's up to date. And can i install these both via usb as i don't fancy messing it up etc.

Someone please help i have done a couple dm500s before but in past so just need a little refreshing. Thanks ppl

dell_xps
22nd January, 2012, 11:55 PM
Check the tutorial I did in the forum m8, 1st thing to do is install hard drive, then using the Vu's own image/software initialise the hard drive, because once you have the vix image in it it won't initialise, so do that first.Second install latest kernel boot loader, found in the forum, then install latest vix image, 2.3, install kernel then image, or you will brick the guys box.
Once image is installed, hook it up to your network, finds it no problem in mac / pc, you'll need to google yer cam, comes as an ipk file, transfer it to the tmp root file, then via menu on the Vu's box, locate vix menu, then installer, install it, now press blue button on main screen, manage cams, activate.
Next put your line in the etc folder of the Vu's root folder, reboot and that's you.
You can update epg channels etc easy enough, should get you up and running anyway.

djrikstar
23rd January, 2012, 09:43 AM
Thank your a lifesaver. How would i inialise the hd and how would i install the kernel? And then im right. Thanks again.
P. S i need to stop taking jobs that i aint a clue about but like a challenge lol

dell_xps
23rd January, 2012, 11:02 AM
Once HD is installed, boot up the Vu, in the menu or the wizard at the start cant remember, it gives you the option of intialising it, option in the menu anyway.
Copy the kernal files onto a usb stick, switch box off, put usb in the front usb slot, power up the vu from switch at the back, watch the led display on the front of the vu, once finished it tells you to restart the box, now format usb and place the vix 2.3 image on it, switch box off at the back again, stick usb in front slot again, power on, watch led display until it says finished, reboot !!

dell_xps
23rd January, 2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f195/setting-up-vu-duo-using-team-vix-image-203110/index2.html

Hava a read of this explains how to get cams, etc onto the vu :-)

RuberDuck
23rd January, 2012, 11:28 AM
1st thing to do is install hard drive, then using the Vu's own image/software initialise the hard drive.

well thats not actually correct, if its a brand new virgin HDD it will initialize fine with ViX.

dell_xps
23rd January, 2012, 11:32 AM
Must be a new thing then RD with the 2.3 image ?

RuberDuck
23rd January, 2012, 11:38 AM
no not particularly yes there were some who had problems initializing HDD's but most of those were people using old used drives that were not properly formatted.

for example on my duo i tried a old hdd that would not initialize so i popped it into a usb cradle and removed the partition then formatted it via my laptop, after that it initialized fine with ViX.

dell_xps
23rd January, 2012, 11:49 AM
When I installed a brand new 1tb HD in mine it had to be done in the
Vu's own menu :-), well suppose he has a 50/50 chance of getting it right.
Just saves time if the vix image doesn't intialise it, he would have to download
vu's image reinstall etc etc, so maybe best to intialise it with Vu's own image ?

RuberDuck
23rd January, 2012, 11:53 AM
If the box already ships with the Vu image then yeah i see your point. although why the op would buy it from amazon in the first place is the bit i dont understand.

dell_xps
25th January, 2012, 06:51 PM
Any joy with this m8 ?

djrikstar
25th January, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yes got it all working got boutiques and picons on and everything. The only issue getting mgcamd 1. 35a working i have it installed and started it put line in etc folder. But nothing anyone got a good guide for me on how to do this.
Also vix image 2.3 build 156 is working great no crashes etc.

djrikstar
25th January, 2012, 07:46 PM
Oops posted this morning in the wrong section about this. Its in the vu+ duo tutorial section.

dell_xps
25th January, 2012, 08:05 PM
Pm cactikid, sure he uses mgcam :-)