PDA

View Full Version : Astra DTI Flywheel swap???

Canker_Canison
23rd January, 2012, 10:35 AM
I need a little help with the '04 2.0 DTI lemon I got ripped off with on ebay.

Long story short, I picked up a replacement engine, but it has a slightly different block....so repairing the original engine.

But I picked up the wrong clutch kit for the original engine. The original is dual mass & the useless replacement is standard.

Now I could pay ?30 more & change the clutch kit to dual mass. But I was told that a lot of people dumped the dual mass flywheel for the standard.

Is it just a case of switching the flywheels over, or are there sensors to deal with as well?

What are the pro's & con's of fitting the standard flywheel?

Liteace
23rd January, 2012, 10:45 AM
I THINK as long as the flywheel is the same size its going to do the job ok, does it have any sensors in the block at the flywheel end ??

Canker_Canison
23rd January, 2012, 11:03 AM
I've not looked close enough for sensors, been working on the timing tensioners, chains & head. Changing the flywheel was a recent thought.

I'll be looking at it today. My other worry was the depth & diamater of the flywheel, but I've been told that the diameter is the same. Don't really want to be counting teeth lol

richy_rich
23rd January, 2012, 11:13 AM
Depth will be different, I think. Not sure, maybe if it is you can swap the bellhousing over from the other engine to compensate?

Canker_Canison
23rd January, 2012, 11:57 AM
I didn't get the box with the engine. It was just the block, head, A/C pump & a few bits.

I'll look at removing the flywheel from the replacement engine today. With luck & a micrometer I'll be able to measure the depth on both wheels.

Ashraf6119
23rd January, 2012, 08:49 PM
Normally when you change from DMF to a Stander Flywheel the Release Bearing will be different as well to cover the depth...........

If you compare both release bearing you will see the deferences.....

Canker_Canison
24th January, 2012, 10:43 AM
Standard wheel removed & placed next to dual mass wheel. External depth looks the same, ring gear slightly deeper on the standard wheel..not a worry there.

No sensors near the wheel, crank shaft has a sensor..so safe there.

I'll check the rest off later. Need to pay for the valves to be replaced & head skimmed before I do anything else.... Robbing gits.