PDA

View Full Version : openbox or eaglebox?

bokkie
26th January, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi all. I'm looking for a receiver but am on a budget. Need a receiver that is diseqc compatible, viaccess card compatible, must be hd and to be used for other things which can't be discussed on here.
The boxes i am thinking of are the openbox s9, s10 or s11. Which is best?
The other box i've seen is the eaglebox 800 or eaglebox hd mini.
Has anyone had and experience with any of these?
I am a total noob so would need a box that has support.
Any other recommendations in same sort of price bracket (?90) also welcome.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thx all

Shady
26th January, 2012, 12:17 PM
best support for them boxes is on the openbox side.

Manic01
26th January, 2012, 01:04 PM
The eagle plays all media avi/mkv/H 264 etc.

bokkie
26th January, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'm only going to use it to watch telly so that wouldn't hassle me. Thx
Any other pros/cons?

setfiretorain
26th January, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm not personally sure on the Eagle, My friend has one and says its top for HD TV Viewing, However I had a openbox for a week and put it in the loft, Bought a blade media.

However for the price its a superb box, Just not one for someone like me, But I think for someone who just wants to watch TV in HD, There perfect.

Regards

ramjet
26th January, 2012, 08:35 PM
the eaglebox will get better software over time , and the picture quality and build seems good and does the job. so good but could do better , and currently not as good as a blade

I havent seen or used an openbox but its obviously had longer to get established although there are clones about

I think I would get the eagle instead of the openbox , although a blade is a much better option at the moment

bokkie
26th January, 2012, 10:03 PM
Thx for the feedback guys.
Any particular reason you'd choose the Eaglebox ramjet?
Is there something it does or does better than the openbox?
I think at ?150 the Blade is a bit to pricey for me just to tinker with. I have to get a new dish setup as well, all adds up.
Any other views?

ramjet
26th January, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thx for the feedback guys.
Any particular reason you'd choose the Eaglebox ramjet?
Is there something it does or does better than the openbox?
I think at ?150 the Blade is a bit to pricey for me just to tinker with. I have to get a new dish setup as well, all adds up.
Any other views?

as I said I cannot answer that as I have never seen or used an openbox , I did tell you all this in my last reply

but as an eaglebox wont be a clone , as its fairly good at what it does already , and as I expect it to get better as the software patch is improved , then its my belief ( note I said belief ) that its a better product and will be a great box in the future , and yet can be used even with the current software patch

I bought a blade right when they first came out , and the software for it was appalling , 14 or 15 months later I find its a much better box , better patches , better support and is 100 times better than it was when it was new. that is why I believe the eaglebox will be a better long term investment than an openbox

you can even see in one reply that he has boxed up the openbox and bought a blade , that is my point and one you may wish to avoid

if in doubt, buy a blade bm7000s , that is my position on this

my order would be

dreambox or vu+ HD
spiderboxHD
bladeHD
eagleHD
openbox

amar786
27th January, 2012, 12:51 AM
as I said I cannot answer that as I have never seen or used an openbox , I did tell you all this in my last reply

but as an eaglebox wont be a clone , as its fairly good at what it does already , and as I expect it to get better as the software patch is improved , then its my belief ( note I said belief ) that its a better product and will be a great box in the future , and yet can be used even with the current software patch

I bought a blade right when they first came out , and the software for it was appalling , 14 or 15 months later I find its a much better box , better patches , better support and is 100 times better than it was when it was new. that is why I believe the eaglebox will be a better long term investment than an openbox

you can even see in one reply that he has boxed up the openbox and bought a blade , that is my point and one you may wish to avoid

if in doubt, buy a blade bm7000s , that is my position on this

my order would be

dreambox or vu+ HD
spiderboxHD
bladeHD
eagleHD
openbox

Any views on the Icecrypt S3500 and the Technomate range of boxes? The are the two I have been looking at but may have missed something.

ramjet
27th January, 2012, 12:58 AM
Any views on the Icecrypt S3500 and the Technomate range of boxes? The are the two I have been looking at but may have missed something.

no m8 , on the grounds that I dont have those either , and no experience of them

but the tm5402 is same as a blade , more or less (different patches though)

there are hundreds of boxes so nobody is going to have experience on each and every box , and they all have pros and cons anyway

bokkie
27th January, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hmmmmm. Just seen a couple of spiderbox 7000 on fleabay for ?125. Are there many spiderbox clones floating about?

ramjet
27th January, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hmmmmm. Just seen a couple of spiderbox 7000 on fleabay for ?125. Are there many spiderbox clones floating about?

none that I know of

bokkie
27th January, 2012, 10:22 AM
Just learnt about the gift. Think i'm sold on spiderbox!

Shady
27th January, 2012, 10:31 AM
little caveat for you on 'gifts' the server can and frequently does stop before the 'gift' period is over

bokkie
27th January, 2012, 10:54 AM
Thx for the heads up shady. The way i see it is, i was going to buy an openbox with a viaccess viewing card. Total cost about. ?170. I can buy a spiderbox 9000 hd for that, what many people rate as a better box and get loads more channels. If it lasts 9 months. Oh well. Still got a great box with loads of possibilities. I also think it gives someone like myself who has no experience with this some time to find my feet so to speak.

ramjet
27th January, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thx for the heads up shady. The way i see it is, i was going to buy an openbox with a viaccess viewing card. Total cost about. ?170. I can buy a spiderbox 9000 hd for that, what many people rate as a better box and get loads more channels. If it lasts 9 months. Oh well. Still got a great box with loads of possibilities. I also think it gives someone like myself who has no experience with this some time to find my feet so to speak.

if it is a new spiderbox the g*ft may last for 12 months in total (or could fail after a day)

if its a second hand spiderbox it may be being sold due to the fact that the g*ft has run out and they have purchased a new one or something different

so do not assume any g*ft will work for any amount of time unless the box is brand new , caveat emptor and all that

if you have only got 28 east or dont require the g*ft then a second hand spiderbox is a good buy

the g*ft opens channels on various satellites, but not on 28 east

just dont pay "new" prices and then complain if you get "error code 0" due to the g*ft expiry date having passed as it cannot be renewed , you have been warned !

bokkie
27th January, 2012, 11:11 AM
I'm looking at a new spiderbox 9000 for ?170 or a 9900 for ?200. Can't see much difference except the 9000 has 2 ci slots and 1 smartcard slot. Whilst the 9900 has 2 smartcard and 1 ci slot. Is that correct?

Manic01
27th January, 2012, 11:59 AM
Also terrestrial tuner on 9900

tonynw
27th January, 2012, 03:32 PM
I have sold lots of the open box S9, S10, and the S11 and have sold some of the new S12 the only diff in spec between all the boxes is conectivity S9 similar in size to a small VCR S10 and S11 similar in size to a small set top box and the S12 is very small ideal if you want it to stand next to an Apple tv unit or a Nintendo Wii.

tonynw

Manic01
27th January, 2012, 03:48 PM
S9 Dimensions 29.8 cm x 22.8 cm x 6.3 cm
S10 Dimensions 24.5 cm x 23.5 cm x 5.5 cm
S11 Dimensions 24 cm x 23.5 cm x 5cm
S12 Dimensions 16.5 cm x 11 cm x 4 cm