PDA

View Full Version : Why does Transmission (Torrent Client) freeze my 800 SE?

weedman
26th January, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have a DM 800 HD SE (Clone) installed with NewNigma & Transmission (Torrent Client). It has a internal 80gb HDD mounted.

When I activate my torrent client (Transmission), it works fine for several minutes (around under 10), then the picture and 800 HD SE permanently freeze, I can still hear audio, but I cant do anything with the box apart from turn it off and back on (from the switch behind the SE), remote control commands do not work, the torrent client `disconnects` (cannot administer it via web browser), also cannot Telnet to the box.

I tried limiting the slots & peers in `settings.json`, also limiting the download speed. But it still freezes. I also tried a bunch of different images (DreamOEM, Elite, Nemisis, and some others).. All were exactly the same problem.

Anyone using a clone DM 800 HD SE successfully with Transmission (or any other torrent client), with no problems?

Anyone kind enough to send me their working `settings.json`?

What else could be the problem?

I have attached the ipk of the version I am using, for you guys to tinker with if you havent before.
- Install `libevent_2.0.10-r0_mipsel.ipk`
- Then `enigma2-plugin-extensions-transmission_2.33-r0_mipsel.ipk`
- Start transmission, visit 192.168.x.x:9091
- Add torrents, and let it run.

smoggie
26th January, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think its the norm to expect freezes when using torrents and the likes of xbox/ps3 online. Its why i use a seperate modem for my server to ensure freeze free viewing.
Someone will probably tell me I'm wrong.
edit. sorry i misread i see you are using the torrent download as an addon on dm

weedman
26th January, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yes, its a torrent client on the box. Not on a computer on the same network.

And the box actually freezes. I can't do anything at all on it, I have to switch it off and back on. But the audio of whatever I am watching stays on.

I also tried an older version of transmission 1.7. Still same problem.

Can anyone out there with an internal HDD try and setup the Transmission file attached and let us know if they get the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated!.. Downloading torrents to my DM would be so much more power efficient then my desktop PC.

weedman
26th January, 2012, 09:36 PM
Could this be a swap file issue?

Currently I have no swap file, I have a internal HDD, and very little internal flash left (7mb).

I think creating a swap file might help relieve some of the processes in memory and stop the crashing.

How do I create a swap file on my Mounted internal HDD via telnet?

weedman
28th January, 2012, 03:42 PM
I think the problem was my 2.5 SATA HDD. When I replaced it with another 2.5 internal HDD, It seems to have fixed the issues. I think the box was freezing when it hit a bad sector on the old HDD. The new (320GB!!) HDD seems to work well, and I had a full night of downloading yesterday, without any box crashing/freezing. Although it didnt seem required, I also setup a 256mb swap file on the HDD.

Also, Did you know that small portable hard drives with a USB / Firewire, have inside a Internal 2.5 HDD?.. I always thought it was flash memory, but I was about to throw away a non-working 320GB HDD, but I ripped it open and BANG.. There was a 2.5inch SATA HDD inside!!, and it works! Turns out the USB converter board inside connecting to SATA had broken, and not the HDD itself!! :D

So anyway, problem fixed!.. Downloading torrents to my SE now!! on my 320GB HDD!!! :D

Now my DM can do almost EVERYTHING!!
- Full 7 Days Coolmans EPG
- Full Media player (All file types & from internal HDD)
- Stream to my iPhone
- Download torrents to my box (Very power efficient!!) :D
- Watch/Record/Pause TV

Still Todo/Setup:
- Permanent Timeshift
- Get interactive Red button working

Thanks DK dudes/dudettes! :D

lobo2k
20th November, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sorry to resume this thread...
Where did you find the ipk for transmission?
Thanks
L2k