PDA

View Full Version : Playing PS2 Games on PS3...there must be a way!!!

l06351040
12th January, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hi guys..ive read your ~~~~~nts so far on this subject...but sure there more be some way whether through a hardware chip or a software prgramme that lets you play ps2 games on ps3...for example you can get the psp chipped or have software installed that can play games off a memory stick....could this be achieved for the ps3...copying ps2 games onto a 4gb stick and playing them off there instead of it tryin to read the ps2 disk????

sh0ck3rrr
12th January, 2009, 11:18 PM
only the 60gb hdd versions of the ps3 are backward compatible.. and the 60gb ps3 are now discontinued well they became extinct last year i was the last person to purchase one from Currys! The joy of being a sales assistant! :P

C64
13th January, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hi guys..ive read your ~~~~~nts so far on this subject...but sure there more be some way whether through a hardware chip or a software prgramme that lets you play ps2 games on ps3...for example you can get the psp chipped or have software installed that can play games off a memory stick....could this be achieved for the ps3...copying ps2 games onto a 4gb stick and playing them off there instead of it tryin to read the ps2 disk????

Wake us up when you work it out mate :)

Raven
13th January, 2009, 04:05 AM
I don't know why they bother with backwards compatibility on modern consoles....they are meant for new generation not accomodating the old generation.....and Nintendo are the only ones that have done this thing properly aswell.

janobi
13th January, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know why they bother with backwards compatibility on modern consoles....they are meant for new generation not accomodating the old generation.....and Nintendo are the only ones that have done this thing properly aswell.

Absolutely. Rumours are that Sony are hiring a firm to develop a software fix for backwards compatibility. Or an emulator.

But as people said, why play PS2 games on a PS3? Just buy a PS2, they are cheap enough. lol.

Raven
13th January, 2009, 06:48 PM
That's right, I mean something can always be said for convenience but that's only when it's like it is on the Wii where all Gamecube games just work.....but when it's like it is on 360 and PS3 it's like why bother at all why not just cut costs and do away with it like Sony basically are doing....and from our point of view why not just get a real PS2 or Xbox ? As it's infinitely better than these software emulators which are on 360 and PS3.....the only good thing about them is that they output the game in high definition resolution and make use of anti aliasing, that's it......but you can bet your bottom dollar that there's a top tier or flat out awesome game that won't work which will take years to have the software updated to accomodate said game.

shady77
13th January, 2009, 06:53 PM
i specifically wanted backwards compatabilty with wax discs when i bought my multimedia hdd and did i get it? did i ~~~~!
come on developers, some of us cant stand evolution

RTID75
27th January, 2009, 01:17 PM
Your only option is to get on eBay/scan your local classifieds and buy an earlier 60Gb console. They had important bits of PS2 hardware in them (and also some emulation code to replace the PS2 hardware that wasn't in them) which has now been totally removed on new consoles to reduce manufacturing costs.

dazza78
27th January, 2009, 04:22 PM
just got this of another forum m8

It has been a long time since anyone has heard of booting any kind of ISO from the PS3, but hacker by the name of ifcaro has released his version of PS3 USBADVANCE which allows us to boot PS2 games on PS3 via HDD!

His version currently only works on Japanese models but a PAL version is expected to be released soon (WE WI. PS3 USBADVANCE has been confirmed to be working on the latest PS3 firmware and is available for immediate download.

File Details-PS3-USBAdvance-PlayStation-3 - (http://dl.qj.net/PS3-USBAdvance-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/25703/catid/612)

have a look , i dont think its much yet , but i dont really care about backwards compatibility
dazza

janobi
4th February, 2009, 09:48 AM
just got this of another forum m8

It has been a long time since anyone has heard of booting any kind of ISO from the PS3, but hacker by the name of ifcaro has released his version of PS3 USBADVANCE which allows us to boot PS2 games on PS3 via HDD!

His version currently only works on Japanese models but a PAL version is expected to be released soon (WE WI. PS3 USBADVANCE has been confirmed to be working on the latest PS3 firmware and is available for immediate download.

File Details-PS3-USBAdvance-PlayStation-3 - (http://dl.qj.net/PS3-USBAdvance-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/25703/catid/612)

have a look , i dont think its much yet , but i dont really care about backwards compatibility
dazza

Yeah, but how many people own a JAP PS3?? I do. lol. And gsim, so will give this a whirl and let you know.

GregoryRasputin
9th February, 2009, 05:13 AM
Yeah, but how many people own a JAP PS3?? I do. lol. And gsim, so will give this a whirl and let you know.

This is working on all 60GB PS3's now :)

JasonTopHat
4th March, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hi,

Sony and other console manufacturers use backward compatibility to sell more consoles during the first couple of years of manufacture. It helps people to jump from the old consoles which they are still using and playing (& PS2 still releasing some popular games).

I agree after a few years almost everyone forgets about their old console games when the latest versions of the popular titles are released, who still plays GT3 or 4 now GT5P is available (not even half a game; I know).

I personally purchased the 60Gb version as soon as they confirmed they were phasing backward compatibility out. I did use the PS2 part for the 1st 6 months until I purchased a good set of new games.

Jason

theloanman
9th April, 2009, 02:25 PM
actually ive just restarted gt4 on my ps3 ive played prologue to death n i love the grindin ;]