PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS 7: A REVIEW

shady77
12th January, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well folks, as promised here is my review of windows 7.
The test was obviously done on a beta version, so any/none of the features may/may noy be implemented in the final release.

I did a fresh install after backing up my important files and let me tell you, this windows is a lean mean operating machine.
And will run on a 1ghz cpu with 1 gb of ram and 128mb dx9 compatible graphics
From Inserting the dvd to surfing the web took a little less than 25 mins on my quad core 2gb system.

Gone is most if not all of the Microsoft bloatware that bogged other versions of windows down in a veritable quagmire of confilcts and driver issues.
A case in point is my Epson DX8450 printer. I turned it on after installation and it just worked! no drivers downloads, no requests for installation from cd no nothing!

All of my system devices (sound card, graphics card, card reader etc) worked seamlessly too

One slight annoyance with Microsoft stripping the os down is the lack of any email client. Nothing. Ever heard of an operating system without one? I am one of the many people who likes Windows Mail and its not there! Why isnt M$ pushing its products onto us? Scared of another law suit?

Also gone is the sidebar, that marmite of vista which you either loved or hated. I fell into the latter category and for me, this is another minus point for Seven.

So two programmes that love or hate, did at least have a purpose and were to some extent useful. And Microsft removed them and left Purble Place. Go figure

The only other big difference that I have noticed is Paint. The crappy bit of software that nobody used has had a facelift with some new features. and its still a crappy bit of software that nobody will use.

This isnt a long in-depth review, its just a cursory glance at the new os that people may or may not find useful.

For me, windows 7 rates 9/10 .
Again this is my personal view and please remember that this is a beta version.
thanks

gmb45
12th January, 2009, 06:17 PM
The test was obviously done on a beta version, so any/none of the features may/may noy be implemented in the final release.

I did a fresh install after backing up my important files and let me tell you, this windows is a lean mean operating machine.
From Inserting the dvd to surfing the web took a little less than 25 mins on my quad core 2gb system.

Gone is most if not all of the Microsoft bloatware that bogged other versions of windows down in a veritable quagmire of confilcts and driver issues.
A case in point is my Epson DX8450 printer. I turned it on after installation and it just worked! no drivers downloads, no requests for installation from cd no nothing!

All of my system devices (sound card, graphics card, card reader etc) worked seamlessly too

One slight annoyance with Microsoft stripping the os down is the lack of any email client. Nothing. Ever heard of an operating system without one? I am one of the many people who likes Windows Mail and its not there! Why isnt M$ pushing its products onto us? Scared of another law suit?

Also gone is the sidebar, that marmite of vista which you either loved or hated. I fell into the latter category and for me, this is another minus point for Seven.

So two programmes that love or hate, did at least have a purpose and were to some extent useful. And Microsft removed them and left Purble Place. Go figure

The only other big difference that I have noticed is Paint. The crappy bit of software that nobody used has had a facelift with some new features. and its still a crappy bit of software that nobody will use.

This isnt a long in-depth review, its just a cursory glance at the new os that people may or may not find useful.

thanks

:goodpost:

Devilfish
12th January, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks shady m8! :)

I might give this a try soon. Oh and...I use paint all the time for pasting in screenshots lol.

thered
12th January, 2009, 07:08 PM

And will run on a 1ghz cpu with 1 gb of ram and 128mb dx9 compatible graphics

thanks

i cant believe you were not a vip sooner such quality threads are a joy to behold even though this has no interest to me whatsoever its good that you bring it to the forum well done mr pinkey

caveman_nige
12th January, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the initial review mate, very interesting. I have held off any Vista installs on my own hardware and my clients. Windows 7 has been eagerly awaited and seems it could well be worth the wait. I look forward to reading any further reviews you feel like giving this operating system as your experience with it grows..

C64
12th January, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hey I use Paint! :)

I like to take pictures of my dick and enlarge them. :)

It sounds really good mate. I hope they don't start adding loads of unnecessary services to it and turn it into another Vista fiasco.

I'm off to download and install it right now, if it's shit I'll come looking for you. ;)

Forgot to ask, did you download and install the official one from Microsoft where you need to register to get the CD key etc, or was it one of the customised versions that are going around? (The custom ones don't need a CD key and AFAIK they have a few apps pre-installed).

shady77
12th January, 2009, 08:00 PM
I am currently in the process of reinstalling 7 as i only installed for a quick looksee, however my image of my system must of been corrupt as it now hangs just after post saying vista loader 2.1.2. luckily theres a crack to get around the trial limit, so it looks like i'll have a bit longer with it. currently using my daughters eeepc to type this 1 while 7 installs again lol. still at least it won't take long! lol

by the way glenn/mods. like a fool ive posted this in the wrong section. do us a favour and move it? cheers pals

C64
12th January, 2009, 08:02 PM
The official Beta lasts until August 2009, which AFAIK is the time that Windows 7 will go gold.

C64
12th January, 2009, 11:54 PM
For some bizzare reason my Xbox360 no longer recognises my Divx/Xvid movies after installing Windows 7.

I can force them to be recognised if I rename the movies to xxxx.WMV or xxxx.MP4 but for some reason it can't see xxxx.AVI

This is an issue with WMP12 rather than Windows 7 itself.

BTW shady, the Sidebar is still there, it's just not enabled as default. If you Right Click the Desktop it gives you the option to Add Gadgets, which enables the Sidebar.

Sidebar is a pile of cack IMO.

:)

Bobiskey
13th January, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nice post. Yeah the Gadget bar has gone but the gadgets are still in place, as said above, right click and select gadgets and add what you need. You can move them anywhere you want to so much better system then the previous 40 foot bar accross the screen.

I realy like that system on the whole, much better then what Vista is and realy fast. Have it running on a virtual machine in 64bit with 1 gig of ram and its still much faster then the Vista Ultimate 64bit VM running next to it with the same settings.

The setup process was fast and simple, push a few buttons, change a setting (just 1 for me, US to UK) and that was it, next time it blinked it asked me where i was (home, work, mobile) then booted into the OS, grabbed an update and i was done. Very slick.

IMO, Vista beta almost over. The full replacement for Windows XP is almost upon us. Roll on 7*

*as long as MS don't screw it up between now and gold date :)

caveman_nige
13th January, 2009, 05:27 PM
I like what they have done with Solitaire lol

C64
13th January, 2009, 05:40 PM
I like what they have done with Solitaire lol

What have they done?

I've loaded it up but I dont see anything different. :)

ITS A SCAM !
18th January, 2009, 10:48 PM
Windows 7 may tempt me...I am still using XP Pro ! Somehow i cannot be persuaded to make the move to vista (even though i have a copy of vista ultimate), and i think i speak for the majority of people out there. Most people i know are happy with the operating system they are already have, and thats XP Pro. the day will come when Microsoft make it impossible to use nothing but the latest OS provided by them...bully boy tactics i call it...that day my make me decide to even give linux a try...

shady77
18th January, 2009, 10:49 PM
word of warning. windows 7 doesnt like video editing software. neither window moviemaker or videostudio! it has now gone from my system and i am back to xp pro

ITS A SCAM !
18th January, 2009, 10:53 PM
word of warning. windows 7 doesnt like video editing software. neither window moviemaker or videostudio! it has now gone from my system and i am back to xp pro

LOL see what i mean....XP pro is tough to beat in my eyes..i run our home network with 3 desktops, 3 laptops..all have xp pro.. :thumpdown:

Lanxman
18th January, 2009, 11:09 PM
I tried the first beta just to see what I thought of the O.S, I reckon when the final is ready it will be pretty sweet.

Curious123
19th January, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have Vista Sp1 running on my works pc so I backed up my pc with Ghost and than loaded the official Windows 7 beta. It took about 30 minutes to load, I had to de-install Macafee as it didn't seem to like it so I thought I would re-install it later. After the install I tried to install macafee but it failed with an incompatibility error so eventually I just de-installed and went back to Vista. I didn't feel that impressed with it as I was when going from XP to Vista. The main difference I found was that it appeared to less resource hungry compared to Vista. I am going to leave it until MS and Macafee iron out their differences.

C64
19th January, 2009, 01:09 AM
LOL see what i mean....XP pro is tough to beat in my eyes..i run our home network with 3 desktops, 3 laptops..all have xp pro.. :thumpdown:

XP Pro is my favourite also, but you've got to remember that Windows 7 is still only Beta software and there will be many applications that don't run on it.

So far, I'm pleasantly surprised by it, it's a hybrid of XP, Vista and Server 2008 :)

mikeyb
19th January, 2009, 03:53 AM
Vista was annoying. I didn't give it chance tho, Was too happy with XP at the time. Anyone use mac? I got an intel one and I was surprised how good the os is. Just little things like 'spotlight' and loads of hidden software which does actually come in useful (not that often tho). They (apple, microsoft, and that guy on the isle of man who does linux) all copy off each other and it just depends on your needs.

For me flashing a dreambox on a mac is awful. But I can get it done on parallels which emulates (very well) XP.

firemouth
3rd February, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm impressed. after a disaster to start with. or god sake, dont do an upgrade!!! use custom install.

It stutters, from time time, but is stable. yipee, no more Vista!!
i still use XP pro for the desktop, not sure i want to change that anyway, but i will never return to VISTA!

I dont see the problem of there being no Email client. but i like the "new" paint, the calc is nice, built in converter, too! still feeling my way, pretty much, but all my hardware was detected with no problems. Ms Office installed no problem, not used in anger, and Monopoly runs a treat, for all users.

not sure on the New "live" yet. email client is "ok" but Messenger" is still not right, i have the "tabs" running across the bottom and cant find a way to get them down the left as of old.
the whole thing is quicker than Vista, even screen renders and resolving of web pages, even with Firefox! yipee no more Vista!
as yet i have only had one " send information" flag. fingers crossed.

not sure if it comes across, i like it:party :

Curious123
4th February, 2009, 12:15 AM
I have re-installed Windows 7 as I found Mcafee version 8.7i works fine with this OS. Overall I really like this version of windows especially the little preview windows of the apps you have open currently. I did an upgrade on my pc and my colleague at work did a fresh install and he found he had more problems than me in getting evrything to work. My only grumble with it now is that IE8 seems to fall over a lot more than IE7 but apart from that I am even tempted to buy a legit copy when it goes live in August.

bobchip
4th February, 2009, 12:47 AM
This is a useful thread, I'll give this a look. All told it seems worth while. I still feel bitter coughing up ?100+ for a legit Vista ultimate after swallowing all the misleading magazine reviews bigging it up. Pinch of salt in future.
I stand more chance listening to you guys than professional reviewers who likely have the odd ulterior motive to influence them in their judgement.

Scimmione85
4th February, 2009, 01:18 AM
good review :D

ps2chiper
23rd February, 2009, 09:22 PM
I just wanted to say that Windows will never catch up to linux. Its too late for anything, because Ubuntu has a new operating system out every 6 months on the dot. I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now and hate windows. With linux everything makes sense. their is no driver downloads. Their is no DRM bullshit. And everything just works, Unlike windows. With ubuntu you have a actual forum from the people that made the operating system with real solutions and bug fixes. Also with linux you don't need to defragment your hard drive. It automatically does that for you as you use your computer. Plus most people that use linux don't need to format their hard drives for years. that is how stable it is.

tzdimitris
24th February, 2009, 07:47 AM
windows 7 is the same rubbish with vista .
i allready try it with beta and dont see big deference .
i believe all this is a marketing trick.

cunny
24th February, 2009, 08:08 AM
I just wanted to say that Windows will never catch up to linux. Its too late for anything, because Ubuntu has a new operating system out every 6 months on the dot. I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now and hate windows. With linux everything makes sense. their is no driver downloads. Their is no DRM bullshit. And everything just works, Unlike windows. With ubuntu you have a actual forum from the people that made the operating system with real solutions and bug fixes. Also with linux you don't need to defragment your hard drive. It automatically does that for you as you use your computer. Plus most people that use linux don't need to format their hard drives for years. that is how stable it is.

Ok so when i get a lappy gonna see about linux and so on, really wanted to try it so got to be worth a try:manuflag:

caveman_nige
24th February, 2009, 09:29 AM
Please keep this thread on topic.. Microsoft haters please start a new thread as those views are not relevant in this thread.