PDA

View Full Version : MB Compact 3 Star User Restriction Removal!

gs02dmh
5th February, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how to remove Star user restriction from the original MB Compact 3 tablet?

Look like MB have using a script to restrict Star user rights during auto logging in.

I've logged in as admin to enable Star user rights by changing reg. keys but it reset itself or ignoring reg. keys changed from running scripts during windows starting.

I've been thinking to format the hard drive & reload windows from scratch but I'm afraid of loosing all special drivers for this proprietary tablet.

Thanks for reading.

nicole99wu
6th February, 2012, 04:41 AM
hi, can you upload an image?
is your software needs activation before using?

regards.

gs02dmh
7th February, 2012, 03:01 AM
What image are you asking for?

The unit is working fine under star user rights restriction if you only using Xentry or Wis!

I want to be able to manipulate the unit easier with full administrator rights under star user.

So far I'm not able to remove the restriction even with attempting to copy administrator profile into star user profile but out of luck because MB used bat files & scripts to control star user rights during windows boot up.

albert jackson
7th February, 2012, 04:16 AM
What image are you asking for?

The unit is working fine under star user rights restriction if you only using Xentry or Wis!

I want to be able to manipulate the unit easier with full administrator rights under star user.

So far I'm not able to remove the restriction even with attempting to copy administrator profile into star user profile but out of luck because MB used bat files & scripts to control star user rights during windows boot up.

This is the "key" you want.

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/)

Boot CD, no brainer to use. That tablet will boot from this Linux based CD. Absolute 100% success.
[read through some of the instructions a little]
Use the * no password for the account you want to reset. once complete hit the enter key at password.
This CD made me happy many a' times in proprietary tablets.
Use Shift key held down [USB keyboard] to access the admin account.

gs02dmh
7th February, 2012, 07:27 AM
This is the "key" you want.

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor (http://pogostick.net/%7Epnh/ntpasswd/)

Boot CD, no brainer to use. That tablet will boot from this Linux based CD. Absolute 100% success.
[read through some of the instructions a little]
Use the * no password for the account you want to reset. once complete hit the enter key at password.
This CD made me happy many a' times in proprietary tablets.
Use Shift key held down [USB keyboard] to access the admin account.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've gone beyond this point & also able to enter Xentry, Das & Wis dev. keys under admin user profile!

The unit is working fine excepts you can't do much under star user rights restriction.

Have you figure out how to load the virtual keyboard before windows log in screen appear?

If this can be done I can log in as admin or other users to get full admin rights without using an external keyboard.

CarmasterAndrew
10th February, 2012, 09:12 PM
PM I'll help

blueabyss
11th February, 2012, 01:49 AM
How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231/EN)

gs02dmh
11th February, 2012, 08:35 PM
How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231/EN)

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've tried this but it didn't work because MB using a scrip during boot up to control this therefore it ignored all changes in the registry.

albert jackson
25th February, 2012, 05:17 PM
Well, if you are in the Windows Admin account now, then assign admin rights, to the Star USer xyz, and in Control Panel, Users Accounts, Change the Way Users Log on or Off, and checkmark both options: "Use The Welcome Screen", and "Use Fast User Switching". Reboot the C3, and then it always stops at the user selection screen, at that point you will have the onscreen keyboard as well to enter the password of the respective user you want the desktop for.
Maybe that helps...If I understood you question wright...

gs02dmh
25th February, 2012, 10:01 PM
Well, if you are in the Windows Admin account now, then assign admin rights, to the Star USer xyz, and in Control Panel, Users Accounts, Change the Way Users Log on or Off, and checkmark both options: "Use The Welcome Screen", and "Use Fast User Switching". Reboot the C3, and then it always stops at the user selection screen, at that point you will have the onscreen keyboard as well to enter the password of the respective user you want the desktop for.
Maybe that helps...If I understood you question wright...

Thanks for replying!

I've been logging as admin at welcome screen with another virtual keyboard with no rights restriction.

My question is how to disable Star user right restriction!
The way MB controls Star user rights is very complicate because they used 1 script before logging in and one after desktop is fully loaded.

I've tried changing the registry but these scripts will overwrite registry changed.

I think the policy file "starconfigxp.pol" in C:\Winnt\Zak\Starutils is controlling star user rights during windows boot up but this file is a proprietary policy file which can't be viewed or edited by using standard windows policy file utilities.

Anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

Thanks for reading.