PDA

View Full Version : Cummins ISX - RoadRelay4 can't keep the password

CaliforniaOvernight
5th February, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi, I'm trying to use the Anti-Theft device thru Roadrelay4 and I'm able to transfer changes using Powerspec to the RR4. Then, using the keypad on that sweet, little dashboard computer I'm able to lock the engine for... few times only. After so many key-on or some time (about a day or two) - pretty soon my changes are gone and the Anti-Theft is disabled. Then, I have to use Powerspec again.

My question is, what can cause this - can it be that ECM doesn't hold some part of its own memory? I was talkikng to Cummins techs and he explained me that RoadRelay4 itself is rather "stupid" device and it rather can't be at fault here because it is more of "monitor screen" and doesn't hold any settings

jctech
6th February, 2012, 12:59 AM
Hi, I'm trying to use the Anti-Theft device thru Roadrelay4 and I'm able to transfer changes using Powerspec to the RR4. Then, using the keypad on that sweet, little dashboard computer I'm able to lock the engine for... few times only. After so many key-on or some time (about a day or two) - pretty soon my changes are gone and the Anti-Theft is disabled. Then, I have to use Powerspec again.

My question is, what can cause this - can it be that ECM doesn't hold some part of its own memory? I was talkikng to Cummins techs and he explained me that RoadRelay4 itself is rather "stupid" device and it rather can't be at fault here because it is more of "monitor screen" and doesn't hold any settings
Did you put the password into the ECM with Insite?

CaliforniaOvernight
9th February, 2012, 03:45 AM
Did you put the password into the ECM with Insite?

Yes, I did. Whole thing is working for some time, mostly 2 days or so (and at this very moment as well) but I bet tomorrow it will quit. What I realized lately - there is one more thing that will go: 30 minutes idle engine shutdown countdown timer on the RR4. It will go away with the password

jctech
10th February, 2012, 12:39 AM
Yes, I did. Whole thing is working for some time, mostly 2 days or so (and at this very moment as well) but I bet tomorrow it will quit. What I realized lately - there is one more thing that will go: 30 minutes idle engine shutdown countdown timer on the RR4. It will go away with the password

Is the RR4 wired correctly with unswitched battery, is the backup battery dead?

CaliforniaOvernight
2nd April, 2012, 08:14 PM
Is the RR4 wired correctly with unswitched battery, is the backup battery dead?

I replaced backup battery, it didn't help at all. Only thing that helps is to "transfer" new settings to RR4 using Powerspec. But after so many days or key-ons it is gone:motz:

jctech
3rd April, 2012, 01:31 AM
I would think it is the RR4 unit itself, the Cummins tech you spoke to is incorrect.
Road Relay3 and Road Relay4 are not just monitor screens, they are a lot more than that. The antitheft password is stored in both the ECM and the RR3/4.
The keyed in password is compared with the stored passwords in RR3 "smartguard" and RR4 and ECM before unlocking the immobilisor in the ECM. This feature meant H2 classification from "Thatcham" the UK vehicle security standard.