PDA

View Full Version : business email addy

cablefreejunkie
6th February, 2012, 06:10 PM
as the title says i want a business email addy one with my name@....... but i dont want a web site,just want to look more pro then having yahoo or similiar on the end of email,,wheres best to get this and what are costs etc,,,any pointers much appreciated

dik
9th February, 2012, 01:05 PM
Have a look here m8 Free e-mail address and web address from Freeola.com - The Freeola500 Selection (http://freeola.com/freeola500/full-free-email-addresses.php)
you open a free dial up account with them which you never use, you set your email client to use their server for incoming mail (mail.freeola.net) and use your isp's outgoing mail server, been using them for years, no change of email address needed when you change isp
my work email is ....@ukmechanics.com

Devilfish
9th February, 2012, 03:23 PM
You could register a domain name and use that as your email address. You might need to pay for a shared hosting though, $9.99 per month isn't going to break the bank.

There's probably a way to just register a domain and use that for email address but I've not got to enough time to Google it at the moment. :)

GastonJ
9th February, 2012, 08:35 PM
As devilfish says most places you can register a domain name at will host the site and provide you access to email accounts - searching Google is the best bet.

Does this mean you will no longer use Yahoo to send out thousands of email to people who have won a lttery they didn't enter? :roflmao:

SatSearching
9th February, 2012, 09:16 PM
You are as well paying for a host.

You can get 3 years hosting for 70 quid, a url regged included. Can then have as many email addys on your chosen domain as you want. Stll usefull to have the webspace, CPanel and other goodies included.

SS

cablefreejunkie
9th February, 2012, 11:50 PM
thanks for the replies,was beginning to think for a minute there was nobody on here with any info on this
silly me
@satsearching ?70 for 3 years sounds like a good way to go with domain and many email addys + goodies
will look a little more into this when i have a bit more time :)
one last thing,,ive seen so many different sites offering domain reg
,is there any rules or tips on who to/not to use etc ?

SatSearching
10th February, 2012, 12:51 AM
As for regging, I now personally prefer to use a seperate company to the host. It depends on what domain you want to reg (.co.uk/.com/.net etc etc).

Have a look at justhost, they are pretty cheap, I can't fault the hosting service and as a new customer you can reg 1 domain as part of the package, got all the goddies like CPanel, fantastico, email config etc etc.

But, do a google for discount codes ("50off" worked at the time I used them to get half price), I got 3 years for 70 quid, I was hosting 3 sites on it (and a small forum for 2 years with sql etc), never had any issues or downtime with them.

123-reg is good for regging a .co.uk domain, but after a bad weekend when I needed to update dns and reg a new url and 123-reg was down, I transfered all mine to Heart Internet who answered issues on a weekend instantly and has been brill.

If you just want 1 domain and hosting as a single package, google justhost.

There are lots of others out there who no doubt offer a good service for similar cost, just sharing my experience.

SS

Chunkey
10th February, 2012, 08:20 AM
Have a look here Get your free website - Getting British Businesses Online (http://www.gbbo.co.uk/getstarted)
its a free directive from Google, BT and other companies I can't remember right now. You get to register your own domain, get templates for your website and can even set up your own email addresses using googlemail.

It's really easy and you dont have to use the website stuff if you don't want to.

Chunkey

richy_rich
13th February, 2012, 12:05 AM
Devilfish is right. You don't need shared hosting, just the domain. You can then set up a free gmail account etc. to use this domain to send emails to/from it etc., *but* you'll probably need access to the DNS settings which is where the shithawk providers like 123, 1&1 etc may let you down.

For reference, a .com domain name with full dns management (no web hosting) cost me about $11 (US)/year yesterday. So that's what? 50p a month?

TheCoder
13th February, 2012, 01:14 AM
... You might need to pay for a shared hosting though, $9.99 per month isn't going to break the bank.

How much ????

You can get a whole years hosting for that amount these days !

I got one the other week, unlimited cpanel accounts for a mere $11 per year. ok, it may disappear after a while but they are literally a dime a dozen these days so you can set a new one up and transfer the domain within 30 minutes if and when you need to. So far though, i've only had one cheap host fail on me in 4 years !

An alternative thats only around $9 per month is a cheap vps to host your own mailserver on (and any other server you may decide you want to run ;) )

as the title says i want a business email addy one with my name@....... but i dont want a web site,just want to look more pro then having yahoo or similiar on the end of email,,wheres best to get this and what are costs etc,,,any pointers much appreciated

Initially, you could try to get yourself a free .co.cc domain (yourname@.co.cc) from CO.CC - Free Domain name registration + Free DNS service. (http://www.co.cc/)

This allows either redirection or setting up simple dns pointers to a mailserver of your choice.

if you want a .co.uk domain, I think its presently around ?6 for 2 years (the min registration time).

For email hosting, your probably best off aquiring a cheap cpanel type host. You dont have to implement a website but the ability is there if you wish to. You can also do other things like run a small forum or blog site, run a small ftp site (a few Gb of files maybe) and quite a few other interesting things. The cost should be no more than $2-$3 a month. You would also be able to create/delete whatever email you want (anything@yourdomain) whenever you want. Handy for creating unique addresses for signup purposes.

tonynw
13th February, 2012, 09:12 PM
Try 1&1 Internet - Home (http://www.1and1.co.uk)

look at this link

Instant Mail by 1&1 (http://order.1and1.co.uk/MailInstantMail;jsessionid=87B2484DB190193195DC7B1 6AA064F3A.TCpfix142b?__lf=Order&linkOrigin=Instant&linkId=hd.nav.instantmail)

cheers

tonynw