PDA

View Full Version : Cooltv plugin

Chalkywhite
7th February, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hi, im trying to install cooltv plugin, ive downloaded it and tried ftp it to my temp file using filezilla but after i moved it over i did a reboot but cant find it, any ideas, thanks.

RuberDuck
7th February, 2012, 09:10 PM
which image ?.

Chalkywhite
7th February, 2012, 10:02 PM
Its the v5.5.0 im trying to load up.Im on the VIX image.

RuberDuck
7th February, 2012, 11:10 PM
cooltv is not compatible with vix 2.3 and the author will not fix it to work on vix either.

Chalkywhite
7th February, 2012, 11:35 PM
Its the cool tv guide i was after i just wanted it as my main tv guide rather than the vix guide.

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 12:09 AM
again it is not compatible with the image since our move to the 3.1.1 kernel. this is a closed source plugin so we can not repair it and its author will not either.

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 12:51 AM
in my opinion ViX guide is far superior to Cool TV Guide anyway mate, menu settings actually work, channel names can be fitted in (non picon view) rather than seen 3-4 letters of the channels. Also I think the ViX Guide looks much more mature if that makes sense and the Cool TV Guide has a child like feel to it.

digicon
8th February, 2012, 02:17 AM
Its the cool tv guide i was after i just wanted it as my main tv guide rather than the vix guide.

Try another image mate after all Vix is not the be all and end all of images, there is quite a few available for the Xtrend and cooltv guide works ok on the others you never know you might just like the change.

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 10:09 AM
It's the ViX guide that keeps me using ViX as I think Cool TV Guide has become very poor.

I just hope that ViX do something about the picture quality on the next version as it is very poor compared to the CT, AAF, HDF and other images available for the ET9200. I am not the only one out there that finds the ViX PQ bad compared to other images.

I love the ViX image but find at times when you raise a issue with them they get all defensive

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 03:15 PM
Try another image mate after all Vix is not the be all and end all of images, there is quite a few available for the Xtrend and cooltv guide works ok on the others you never know you might just like the change.

im sorry but " change the image " is not always the answer. ViX while not to every ones liking works perfectly fine when setup correctly.

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 03:19 PM
I love the ViX image but find at times when you raise a issue with them they get all defensive

i disagree as i personally dont find that at all. we always take criticism on board.

It's the ViX guide that keeps me using ViX as I think Cool TV Guide has become very poor.

I just hope that ViX do something about the picture quality on the next version as it is very poor compared to the CT, AAF, HDF and other images available for the ET9200. I am not the only one out there that finds the ViX PQ bad compared to other images.

I dont have a xtrend receiver but picture quality on th whole is nothing to do with the image but driver dependant, you can change some things your self but the drivers are the main part.

digicon
8th February, 2012, 03:28 PM
im sorry but " change the image " is not always the answer. ViX while not to every ones liking works perfectly fine when setup correctly.

And so does every other image available but some need very little as you say setting up than others do. This would now be classed as one of those 'defensive' times.

My original post was for the OP just to suggest that there are other Images out there for him to try.

Chalkywhite
8th February, 2012, 04:00 PM
I Dont know for sure but i tried the 5.5 cool tv guide after i did a ftp to the box i couldnt find it, then after the earlier post i give up.. then i rebooted the box and i looked in my plugins and there it was cool tv guide, ive managed to change the settings so i have it on the red button and changed the size of the picons, i think its a nice tv guide with nice bright bold colours,im happy with it considering im new to this lol

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 04:23 PM
And so does every other image available but some need very little as you say setting up than others do. This would now be classed as one of those 'defensive' times.

My original post was for the OP just to suggest that there are other Images out there for him to try.

nope i'm in no way being defensive, i have however noticed that almost every post you reply to where the user says there using ViX you tell them to change the image. as i said some images are not to every ones tastes but always recommending users just give up and move to a different image seems very defeatist to me.

digicon
8th February, 2012, 04:51 PM
nope i'm in no way being defensive, i have however noticed that almost every post you reply to where the user says there using ViX you tell them to change the image. as i said some images are not to every ones tastes but always recommending users just give up and move to a different image seems very defeatist to me.

After the OP had posted you yourself as well as garry1312 said CoolTV is not compatible with Vix i just offered an opinion that Vix is not the only image available for the 9200 there are others.

And as for you saying that i deliberately tell people to change the image from Vix is untrue, I like the Vix image and have nothing against it, I just don't personally use it due to the fact of the 3 different receivers i tried it on somewhere along the line it green screened more often than not.

And as for recommending images i am unbiased where as yourself your true colours are with the Vix team seeing as your part of it so yes you would recommend the Vix image which is all well and good, But lately a lot of the posts in here as well as the Vu section seemed to be geared towards people useing the Vix image and then we have recommendations for WOS as suppliers. This is slowly getting to feel like Vix forum 2.

And just to add to my last remarks, Yes i have used the Vix Image and have purchased from WOS as well as other retailers who have excellent customer service, So i shall just leave this with a little plug for Lee at Goldwafers top service and great guy to deal with.

And finally well done OP for getting your guide to work

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 04:59 PM
I dont have a xtrend receiver but picture quality on th whole is nothing to do with the image but driver dependant, you can change some things your self but the drivers are the main part.

It is not just down to the drivers it is also down to the scaler-sharpness that the image teams use.

I dont think criticism is taking on board the PQ quality on the ViX image on the Xtrend ET9XXX has been mentioned often and not once have I heard 'we will look in to that' or 'we will see what we can do on the next release'. But all I hear is its the drivers basically trying to claim that its in peoples heads that PQ is better on every other image available. Sorry but if it was only one other image that seemed to have better PQ then that could be plausable.

And yes I have tried every setting possible both on receiver and on my TV still does not improve it.

I ask the ViX team to actually sit down in front of 2 ET9200's one with ViX image and one with CT image and try them and then try and say there is no difference in PQ you will notice a massive difference. HD is non existent on the ViX image for the Xtrend it is good SD quality.

I am sticking by the ViX image because I like the feel of it and I love the guide but I do wonder if I should stick around when crashes keep occuring and things such as poor PQ will not be looked at and fixed.

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 05:12 PM
as far as i am aware there are two members of the team with a ET9200 one of those being andy him self, the other being sicilan but i'm not sure if he still has it. and yes we say it is being looked into it is. In ViX there is one single coder and thats andy. he codes for every single receiver that the team supports so i'm sorry if you feel were not doing enough for you.

digicon
8th February, 2012, 05:14 PM
@garry1312

have you managed to try any other image for picture quality purposes, I found that Clarke Tech's own official image was streets ahead in picture quality compared to others, Slowly followed by the OpenPLI and HDF team images.

As you said the only true test is to get 2 side by side on the same monitors with the exact same calibration settings, Even to allow for slight differences in manufacturing both on the TV's and the Receivers there should still be some noticeable differences .

Regards

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 05:18 PM
RuberDuck I am not saying use do not do enough I have stated that apart from the PQ and some other issues that all in all use have created a fantastic image. In this day and age PQ is very important, HD is meant to look fantastic and it is simply not doing that on the ViX image when other images are able to do it, not once have I seen anyone say it is being looked in to all I have ever seen is 'driver dependant', if it is being looked in to like you say then why is that not the answer rather than blaming the drivers?

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 05:22 PM
@garry1312

have you managed to try any other image for picture quality purposes, I found that Clarke Tech's own official image was streets ahead in picture quality compared to others, Slowly followed by the OpenPLI and HDF team images.

As you said the only true test is to get 2 side by side on the same monitors with the exact same calibration settings, Even to allow for slight differences in manufacturing both on the TV's and the Receivers there should still be some noticeable differences .

Regards

Mate that is why I mentioned side by side ViX and CT. I am not a fan of the CT image but its PQ is amazing and I am not even over exagerrating there it is just outstanding. I would love to see that PQ on the ViX image.