PDA

View Full Version : Satellite newbie

RADCOMJ1
13th January, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'm new to the satellite world-cough cough, I have cable atm. I'm definitely getting a Pioneer KRP-500A Pioneer - KRP-500A - Full HD Kuro Plasma TV, includes FREE 5-year (http://www.tlcbroadcast.co.uk/full-kuro-plasma-includes-free-5year-warranty-p-373.html?ref=6)
I'm not sure how good the mediabox reciever that comes with it is but I think I'll need a bit more perhaps. I'm interested in a sat dish and an additional receiver but I haven't got a clue except for a brief course in Sats at Wood Norton and the copy of "What Satellite" I have in my hand. I am a computer wizard albeit Windows not Linux; I have many linux Gurus to help me should I stumble in scripting or that damnned command line they love so much lol :)
I'm highly interested in HD content and a box/set up that lends itself to some playful hacking would be appreciated. Not really a footie fan but Rugby is my bag.Thanks in advance for your help :)

westkill
13th January, 2009, 02:41 AM
have a look in the sat dreambox section for dm800 threads :)

RADCOMJ1
14th January, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks Westkill, It'a a toss up between the DM800 and TM-6900 HD combo. What sort of dish would I need to compliment these recievers....something that would sit on a 3 storey house. Is a motorised dish better than a staticone with a few LNB's or do they have multiple LNB's too? Sorry for the Newbieness but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

.: JaCkPoT :.
14th January, 2009, 12:47 AM
Feel welcome to ask as many questions as you want mate...
A motorised dish is the far better option if you are new but if you are experienced and know which sats your after then the multi lnb is out of question...
At the moment there is not much at all left on keys,emu,patch so you will definately need a card or cam.. The dreambox is more future proof.. technomates cant even cope with nag3 cards so never mind the day when nag3 gets hacked.. However the Technomate is more user friendly and a really good starter receivers...

RADCOMJ1
14th January, 2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks Sadiq999uk, I'm still reading loads of stuff on four forums lol. I'm not sure the size of disc I need guess I'll get one of the companies to do a survey any recomendations? I'm really after HD content as I have full cable channels already. I'm not sure what the mediabox reciever with the Pioneer TV is capable of, the receivers mentioned look a lot more versatile. Can anyone point me towards tutorials on CAMs and CI's thanks in advance.