PDA

View Full Version : DMV Vehicle Odometer Fraud Investigation

kentzee
10th February, 2012, 01:46 AM
California DMV investigates a Los Angeles man who rolls back the odometer on cars and the person who paid for the service either sells it on craigs list or returns the lease back to the dealer.

DMV Vehicle Odometer Fraud Investigation - YouTube

z786
10th February, 2012, 02:32 AM
VAG prog lol
wonder if hes a DK member??

norbisko
10th February, 2012, 03:12 AM
Yeap looks like USA Prog :)
But no worry, he was just "fixing them "

martij976
10th February, 2012, 07:37 AM
We just don't realize that next one can be one of us...
But seriously this guy is an idiot.....
Anyways that's not good at all...

Fallen
10th February, 2012, 07:43 AM
So this criminal mastermind has a constant string of cars pulling up at his HOUSE and he OPENLY pulls dash's apart and handles cash...

The question is not how did he get caught but how did he get away with it for so long?

He puts the "R" in Retard!

TULGEYWOODMAN
10th February, 2012, 07:48 AM
Why then, are in-correctors in uk, accepting credit cards!!!!!!!!!

ninja123
10th February, 2012, 08:24 AM
it is not illegal to adjust odometer, only illegal if your 'adjustment' is used to sell a car, fraudulently displaying a false mileage as 'correct'.

ninja

VTS_Tibi
10th February, 2012, 08:35 AM
That guy is a real idiot for doing that on the street....

btw. what tools did he had? seems like he was able to do loads of cars :D

z786
10th February, 2012, 11:42 AM
one was defo a vagprog/usaprog

TULGEYWOODMAN
10th February, 2012, 11:47 AM
it is not illegal to adjust odometer, only illegal if your 'adjustment' is used to sell a car, fraudulently displaying a false mileage as 'correct'.

ninja

thats uk law mate, look further afield and you will be surprised

SDO
10th February, 2012, 01:02 PM
So is it illegal in USA ?
What will the guy get ?

SDO
10th February, 2012, 01:24 PM
In Sydney, one guy was doing it from a van in McDonald's carpark. They filmed dealers going to him getting it done, later the investigators took the car for a test drive with the dealer on the car, stop the car where they had their cameras set up, and confront the dealer. I will look for the video.

I know the dealers got prosecuted, well they should have thought of a better place to do it, no news about the actual guy, don't think they can charge him with anything, may be not paying tax and gst, nothing else under Australian law, as far as I know, I could be wrong though.

bkenigma
10th February, 2012, 02:54 PM
The guy got charged with a misdemeanor and is already out and back in business. Ask me he's pretty retarted. The laws in the US are kinda the same, but even with disclosures you can still get screwed. It's very very grey area over here, so you gotta be very very careful

bkenigma

SDO
10th February, 2012, 02:57 PM
The guy got charged with a misdemeanor and is already out and back in business. Ask me he's pretty retarted. The laws in the US are kinda the same, but even with disclosures you can still get screwed. It's very very grey area over here, so you gotta be very very careful

bkenigma

U talking about the guy in USA in the video ?

bkenigma
10th February, 2012, 05:03 PM
Yup the moron in the video. Already back to work, lol. i mean how anyone dosent get caught having people pull up to your house all day here in the US is just ridiolcous. Neighbors wouldd be calling the cops thinking your doing something shady . They probably initially called on him thinking he was selling drugs and stumbled onto this.

bkenigma

SDO
10th February, 2012, 05:57 PM
How many people here work from
A van ?

labusas
10th February, 2012, 06:49 PM
Well isn't a van better than doing it in your garage? You're risking to loose more, like license. No matter how you look at it - in the end it's illiegal.

SDO
10th February, 2012, 07:18 PM
True, van is better than garage.

TULGEYWOODMAN
10th February, 2012, 09:09 PM
I do all my in-corrections from my mobile workshop.

its a converted London double decker bus, very discreet.

captain crackers
10th February, 2012, 09:09 PM
Better still, don't advertise, don't have a website, business cards etc. Use an unregistered pay as you go mobile phone Don't have a diary or any paperwork Destroy all receipts for equipment, don't just rely on mileage, have a sideline ie. radio decoding, airbag resetting, ecu repairs etc. Don't hoard money and don't EVER BELIEVE that mileage correction is always within the law. Arthur.

TULGEYWOODMAN
10th February, 2012, 09:31 PM
just stay in bed, dont answer the phone.

captain crackers
10th February, 2012, 09:35 PM
It's all right for you to say that but my mattress is touching the ceiling. Arthur.

bkenigma
10th February, 2012, 09:43 PM
Better still, don't advertise, don't have a website, business cards etc. Use an unregistered pay as you go mobile phone Don't have a diary or any paperwork Destroy all receipts for equipment, don't just rely on mileage, have a sideline ie. radio decoding, airbag resetting, ecu repairs etc. Don't hoard money and don't EVER BELIEVE that mileage correction is always within the law. Arthur.

Nailed it right on the head!!! Dont EVER BELIEVE that mileage correction is 100% within the law!

bkenigma

ninja123
10th February, 2012, 11:22 PM
thats uk law mate, look further afield and you will be surprised

I have no plans to become multi-national just yey!:~)

ninja

z786
10th February, 2012, 11:35 PM
how about dont discuss shit like this on an open forum??

cklair
11th February, 2012, 07:42 AM
may be FBI keeping an eye on this forum too.lol

TULGEYWOODMAN
11th February, 2012, 09:14 AM
may be FBI keeping an eye on this forum too.lol

Ah well, see you in the pokey.