PDA

View Full Version : Clone vu duo images

trance
11th February, 2012, 02:20 AM
Ok people, I just got my hands on a vu+duo clone.First impressions are good. It seems to be well built.
Now I need to mess about with it over the next few days or so.

So , are there any half decent clone safe images flouting about.
Black hole maybe? I've seen some but the clone safe question is the issue. Anyone tried.
Nice 1

digicon
11th February, 2012, 02:27 AM
Your new clone should have had a sticker on the top left hand corner telling you where to download clone safe images.

http://www.vuplushd.tv/

There is also the Ferrari forum that should keep you updated on anything newer, As long as you use Images on and Before Dec 2011 you will be OK any image made after uses the new linux 3.1.1 kernel safe images use the 3.1.0 kernel.

Glad your enjoying it i am as well

potrobber
11th February, 2012, 02:31 AM
Ok people, I just got my hands on a vu+duo clone.First impressions are good. It seems to be well built.
Now I need to mess about with it over the next few days or so.

So , are there any half decent clone safe images flouting about.
Black hole maybe? I've seen some but the clone safe question is the issue. Anyone tried.
Nice 1

hi trance you got a box then

m8 go to the vuplushd .tv site and down load vti image i can have boxs set up with this image running well in no time

i cant fault the image and i cant even think of a reason to change the image box works so good with it

potrobber
11th February, 2012, 02:32 AM
hi digicon did you buy a clone duo?

digicon
11th February, 2012, 02:35 AM
hi digicon did you buy a clone duo?

Certainly did and first impressions are very high indeed. build quality is far superior to my 800se, Plus the Tuners are more sensitive than what is in the 800se also.

Will be giving it a thorough test over the next week or so in different combos Motor/Static/Diseqc Switch & Different images with & without hard drive.

potrobber
11th February, 2012, 02:48 AM
glad you got one to put thru its paces you might be able to find some issues with it

will look forward to see what you comeback with

i cant fault the few ive had and good value for what you get in my eyes anyway

trance
11th February, 2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys, looks like i'll be busy

trotsky75
14th February, 2012, 10:20 PM
Guys - I ned some help...

Just cancelled my Sky+ subs and am looking for an alternative solution as they killed the + features and the kids and misses are a bit upset!!

I am completely new to all this but fro reading the threads it sounds like a Duo clone or 800hdse clones are a good value solutions-like the idea of the twin tuners on the duo but undersatnf the dm clonesw have been around longer so more support.

If I buy one from nextbay do I need to do much with it when it turns up to get it running?

I undersatnd I wil need to install ccam - no idea what it is but it seems to be necessary ;-)

I am pretty good with windows PC's but never done anything with Linux - is this something I should be able to work out - with some assistance from you lot?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

cactikid
14th February, 2012, 10:36 PM
one of the main things you will need i would suggest to google is cccam or cardsharing which is a taboo subject here,and welcome to digital kaos.

dell_xps
14th February, 2012, 11:14 PM
And you dont need to know anything about Linux.

potrobber
14th February, 2012, 11:37 PM
the duo is the box you need if used to the sky plus

and there is all the help you need here

but go first and read a lot of threads about the box your going to choose if you have not already

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys,

I have read quite a lot of threads over the last few days and it seems that the duo is a good solution but is in its infancy - sounds as though people who have them are pleased in general though.

My next concern is how to go about buying one from China without getting ripped off. Can anybody recomend best place to buy? I was looking at nextbay?

Thanks again.

Tom

jmjc0112
15th February, 2012, 10:40 AM
I got a genuine for 309 delivered. 2 year warranty UK supplier Wos. I have considered a clone but duo clone is unproven I wouldn't get one at the minute imo would wait atleast another 6 months for problems to be ironed out.

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 11:59 AM
Budget doesnt stretch to that - a clone is ?190!!

So its either the duo clone or the dm800hdse clone?

What to buy?

alom5
15th February, 2012, 12:21 PM
It'd you need twin tuner you'll have to chance the vu duo mate.

Simples.

And those that have them seem to be happy with them.

I personally went for 2 boxes for 200 ish

jmjc0112
15th February, 2012, 12:30 PM
Would be worth the extra imo. What about a dm500 cloner for 50 quid while you save up for the box u really want.

potrobber
15th February, 2012, 12:53 PM
I got a genuine for 309 delivered. 2 year warranty UK supplier Wos. I have considered a clone but duo clone is unproven I wouldn't get one at the minute imo would wait atleast another 6 months for problems to be ironed out.

what problems m8 there does not seem to be any

or if you know of some please list them as im trying to find some

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 02:04 PM
I dont really need twin tuners - just been used to it with sky+ - do you think dm800 woule be easier and more reliable then?

Can anybody recomend best place to buy?

potrobber
15th February, 2012, 02:43 PM
if your not needing twin tuner and just looking to replace a sky box take a close look at a blade bm7000 as its a 20 min setup and works great with first class picture quality

dm 800 is good also but take abit of learning and good for playing with if you want sat as a hobbie but for just viewing tv as you where with your sky box go for a blade
you dont need a open source box to get all sky channels on
just look at the dm section to see the amount of people having setup problems then look for blade problems you will see what i mean

lots say dreambox for support but you dont need any really with the blade as it works perfect as is just a patched update and you have a great box

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks Potrobber, will this box still run ccam for sky channnels?

digicon
15th February, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks Potrobber, will this box still run ccam for sky channnels?

The Blade can run CCcam and Newcamd it cannot on the other hand run any other softcams such as Oscam

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks digicon - I'm afraid that means nothing to me - is ccam suffient for cardsharing?

T

digicon
15th February, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks digicon - I'm afraid that means nothing to me - is ccam suffient for cardsharing?

T

Yes it is and so is Newcamd.

mdt
15th February, 2012, 08:27 PM
if you just want to run a sea-lion on a s*y dish then get a openbox s9/s10 for about ?60 but if you think you might want to upgrade/tinker ect ect in future then get a dm800se clone or a original vu duo/uno if you can justifie/afford the cost. regards mdt

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks mdt,

I think Im going to order a "New! 800se with wifi , D6 version" from Mixeshop - Unless you know a better supplier?

Do you know if this would run out of the box - ie. is there much setting up to do apart from the ccam stuff?

I have no problem with setting up and tinkering - just wondering how taxing it actually is to get all sky channels set up?

Cheers

Tom

digicon
15th February, 2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks mdt,

I think Im going to order a "New! 800se with wifi , D6 version" from Mixeshop - Unless you know a better supplier?

Do you know if this would run out of the box - ie. is there much setting up to do apart from the ccam stuff?

I have no problem with setting up and tinkering - just wondering how taxing it actually is to get all sky channels set up?

Cheers

Tom

They are generally preloaded with the all russian image which IMHO needs changing from the outset, all this can be done via FTP over your network.

Nothing wrong with Mixeshop had quite a few from there myself and never had any bad ones or any trouble, and normally with me in around 4 days after ordering.

good luck

trotsky75
15th February, 2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks digicon.

I think I am goin to go for it then.

You do realise I am going to be pestering you on how to replace the Russian image tho :-)

Can you point me towards some instructions which I can read through before it runs up?

Cheers
T

digicon
16th February, 2012, 12:07 AM
A good place to start would be to read the tutorials in the sat dreambox section, spend a few hours reading in preparation anything you get stuck on just post you know theres plenty of help on here.

Good choice on the Box

trance
16th February, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks mdt,

Cheers

Tom

I've ordered a few times from them , no probs so far.
quick turnaround too

trotsky75
22nd February, 2012, 05:06 PM
HELP!!!

Not sure if I should be posting on this thread but you guys were extremely helpfull before and I need some assistance!!

My 800se wireless has turned up and I have fallen at the fuirst hurdle!!

I cannot see anywhere in the menus where I can enter my wireless key to connect to my network - anybody know where it is hidden?
:hmmmm:

jmjc0112
6th June, 2012, 10:29 AM

Have you found any yet? LOL

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

RuberDuck
6th June, 2012, 12:12 PM
Have you found any yet? LOL

well that depends, there seems to be a lot and i do mean a lot of clones going down with PSU failures, not not just failures some seem to be violently failing which could be a serious fire hazard.

so the choice is yours buy a original or risk your house burning down.

jmjc0112
6th June, 2012, 01:59 PM
Although I have owned a clone 800 se and no doubt will own another in the future I think its important that people realise that they are not manufactured to bs or eu standards thus are more likely to fail.
I do have sympathy for those that have bought a clone tho as I would be gutted if problems occurred considering the out lay of 200 quid.

ijsje
6th June, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hi, I have a Vu+ Duo clone and it is stuck on "Starting..." and still I can't resolve that issue. any idea please?

ricescooper
6th June, 2012, 02:56 PM
well that depends, there seems to be a lot and i do mean a lot of clones going down with PSU failures, not not just failures some seem to be violently failing which could be a serious fire hazard.

so the choice is yours buy a original or risk your house burning down.

This is really why I would not risk a clone I've got others in the house that are much more important than saving ?100. I think its a gamble you could be lucky and get one that lasts for years problem free or one that starts a fire! I personally wouldn't risk it.

digicon
6th June, 2012, 06:57 PM
This is really why I would not risk a clone I've got others in the house that are much more important than saving ?100. I think its a gamble you could be lucky and get one that lasts for years problem free or one that starts a fire! I personally wouldn't risk it.

The same could be also said about any electrical appliance in your household from sat receiver to TV to fridge to washing machine any are prone to failure at anytime, Nothing is guaranteed to last forever be it original or clone

RuberDuck
6th June, 2012, 07:03 PM
The same could be also said about any electrical appliance in your household from sat receiver to TV to fridge to washing machine any are prone to failure at anytime, Nothing is guaranteed to last forever be it original or clone

yep 100 percent true and i would agree, however there is a scary amount of quite violent PSU failures being reported on this and many other forums. not even you can say thats nothing to be concerned about. The fact is these units have almost no quality control, they are not bound by the same rules and regulations of other manufacturers and quite frankly once they have your cash they almost always dont want to know about problems you encounter.

thats more than enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.

zooloo66
6th June, 2012, 11:35 PM

when i asked wos there warranty was told it was only one year?
am i correct on that must also say asked question on ebay too.

RuberDuck
7th June, 2012, 12:51 AM
when i asked wos there warranty was told it was only one year?
am i correct on that must also say asked question on ebay too.

The UK has a opt out where by retailers only need to provide a 12 month / 1 year warranty on electrical items as standard,this can be extended at the retailers discretion, in europe this is a mandatory 24 months / 2 years by law.

IAmATeaf
7th June, 2012, 10:47 AM
yep 100 percent true and i would agree, however there is a scary amount of quite violent PSU failures being reported on this and many other forums. not even you can say thats nothing to be concerned about. The fact is these units have almost no quality control, they are not bound by the same rules and regulations of other manufacturers and quite frankly once they have your cash they almost always dont want to know about problems you encounter.

thats more than enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.

I've seen reports of the similar if not the same failures with original boxes. I reported in another thread here that I could see that there were PSU differences, the main visible one being that the heatsink on one the components that's reported blowing in the clone is much smaller.

At the end of the day the clones are built to budget so you takes your chance and hope for the best I suppose. I was considering getting a clone Duo but the reported problems has put me off for the time being as my dm800se clone works faultlessly.

RuberDuck
7th June, 2012, 01:12 PM
I've seen reports of the similar if not the same failures with original boxes. I reported in another thread here that I could see that there were PSU differences, the main visible one being that the heatsink on one the components that's reported blowing in the clone is much smaller.

At the end of the day the clones are built to budget so you takes your chance and hope for the best I suppose. I was considering getting a clone Duo but the reported problems has put me off for the time being as my dm800se clone works faultlessly.

yeah but come on the clones have a far higher failure rate and most go out with a alarming pop. for example one Australian retailer i know has sold in excess of 3000 Vu+ Duo's in the last 2 year and only replaced 5 psu's. compare that to the almost daily posts of people who have had clones go bang and try to justify that as a acceptable failure rate.

digicon
7th June, 2012, 03:14 PM
You pay your money you take your choice at the end of the day but as i stated earlier this can happen on any electrical item. Take for instance the Sony LCD 'W' series debacle over 1.6 million recalled over dodgy components and fear of the TV emitting smoke and harmful gas.

I wonder if these where made in china and at the same factory where the Duo's are made LOL

IAmATeaf
7th June, 2012, 03:20 PM
yeah but come on the clones have a far higher failure rate and most go out with a alarming pop. for example one Australian retailer i know has sold in excess of 3000 Vu+ Duo's in the last 2 year and only replaced 5 psu's. compare that to the almost daily posts of people who have had clones go bang and try to justify that as a acceptable failure rate.

Can't argue with those figures to be honest.