PDA

View Full Version : VU+ solo hard drive

redkev07
12th February, 2012, 01:45 AM
can you connect a external hard drive to a VU+ box to record and if so is it easy to set up. Got virgin at the min but contracts up in june.

RuberDuck
12th February, 2012, 10:35 AM
yes you can use a external HDD although the powered ones tend to work better so try to avoid the small USB powered ones. and yes it is very easy to setup to record and view from etc.

elplicko
12th February, 2012, 10:35 AM
can you connect a external hard drive to a VU+ box to record and if so is it easy to set up. Got virgin at the min but contracts up in june.

yes m8 you can i have vu+ solo with 500gb usb hdd and can record to it and pause live tv with timeshift, really easy to set up too plenty of tuts about

klocky
12th March, 2012, 11:24 AM
yes you can and it works perfectly. I use a non-powered one and i have had no problems at all so far in either pausing/playback live tv or recording/playback.

happy recordings.

mrblue
21st September, 2012, 11:24 AM
What problems are you likely to have with usb powered. i used a 3.5 inch powered drive but i would prefer a usb powered.

Whats the difference...?

mdt
21st September, 2012, 06:06 PM
What problems are you likely to have with usb powered. i used a 3.5 inch powered drive but i would prefer a usb powered.

Whats the difference...?

the difference is on a usb powerd drive the box is powering it through the usb socket and it could get to much if the dish is moving ect ect but a powered one doesnt put a drain on the boxs psu,regards mdt

mrblue
22nd September, 2012, 01:11 AM
So should i stick with a powered drive or do you think 2.5 usb powered are fine.

I suppose its not different to using a flash drive or even a wifi adaptor...

cactikid
22nd September, 2012, 08:57 AM
i would think it is less stress on the box if using an external hdd on its own power supply as some can be high as 2tb

rabies
25th September, 2012, 10:35 PM
does the usb HDD need to be formatted in the VU?

dell_xps
25th September, 2012, 10:46 PM
does the usb HDD need to be formatted in the VU?

YES or do it in yer PC if you want.
HTH

ratman
16th November, 2012, 06:32 PM
I use 500gb with external power supply and i formatted the drive ext3 and all is working well great box BTW