PDA

View Full Version : Really newbie Eurovox ex500 question

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 01:00 AM
Could you tell me if I were to purchase a Eurovox ex500 pvr would I be able to use a two way splitter on my cable modem and connect the box up that way as I only have broadband and phone .The reason I am asking is that I had a phone call from v last Saturday and the Indian woman was asking me if I wanted a free box and how many meters of cable I need from my modem to my TV

Many Thanks

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 01:27 AM
Yes you can.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq13/HiTeck1979/cablesplittermodemandtv.gif

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 01:34 AM
Get the free box mate, They will come and install it for you and put the splitter and cable in place then all's you need to do is change the receiver.

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 01:35 AM
Ideal mate you?re a star and one more question. As I have been reading this forum most of the evening. I do not need any type of v***** card as it does it through the firmware is that correct

Many Thanks once again

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 01:38 AM
Correct. Download Firmware form DK flash and away you go.

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 01:39 AM
Lanxman they were not offing to fit the box only send me the box and the cable and splitter as a self install for a ?15 delivery charge

Thanks though mate

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 01:43 AM
You may need to flash the box, In most cases these days the boxes come with the free to air f/w on them. Flashing them is easy enough mate however you will need a null modem cable and If you have a newish laptop or desktop then you will also need a usb to null modem cable adapter. You can pick those items up cheap enough though.

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 01:44 AM
No problem mika_uk, Dont forget to vote for Digital Kaos! link is below, i'm sure you have already seen it ;)

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 01:47 AM
No way, the cheeky gits! I have the phone and bb package and was also offered the free box and they came and fitted mine with no extra charges. But whats ?15 eh for all the entertainment you will get from the ex5000?

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks Lanxman got a null cable lead as I have a humax 9200t .Could you give us any places which you or hiTeck would recommend getting a ex500 from as I was going to get one from Dvb junkies but they do not have any cable in stock and I will need around 20 meters

Once again thanks for your help people

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 01:54 AM
Never used dvb junkies however I have been looking at the site a lot recently but I always use bubblecableboxes. HiTeck may know a better place.

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 02:00 AM
Personally I'm tempted by the new ex7000hd depite there being a lack of hd channels on vm yet. Just wondering if it's going to be future proof or not, What do you reckon HiTeck?

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 02:01 AM
I really don't like recommending anyone as it can come back on me :( but these are well known for not selling clones.

www.skywonder.co.uk (http://www.skywonder.co.uk/home.php)

But I haven't bought from them, my suppliers website is down at the moment so I cant link you to it.

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 02:06 AM
HiTeck is right, People can only post personal prefrences. I saw someone saying bubble sell clones but on the website say say they never sell clones and have a ?100 guarantee that you won't get one. I have always ordered quite a few boxes from them and never had any issues (clones) But the choice is all yours mika.

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 02:10 AM
Personally I'm tempted by the new ex7000hd depite there being a lack of hd channels on vm yet. Just wondering if it's going to be future proof or not, What do you reckon HiTeck?

As I already have a few EV's I wouldn't go out and buy anymore for the sake of 1 HD channel Lanxman, especially considering the changes mentioned across the forums but of course that is up to you but I wouldn't recommend it.

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah thats the only thing holding me back tbh mate (the changes) I'm not going to waste money for one hd channel unless I had some sort of idea if the box was going to be future proof or not (Able to handle the changes) I'm holding back for the moment at least until after things change.

HiTeck
14th January, 2009, 02:19 AM
That's the best way to go for the time being mate me thinks :top:

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 02:21 AM
I think it will be at least another year anyway before any of these changes are implemented and the same goes for the extra hd channels that are coming to vm. Apologies Mika for Hijacking your thread mate!

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 05:34 PM
Lanxman and HiTeck. Could you tell me what these changes are you too are talking about

Thanks

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 06:29 PM
The changes mentioned around the forums are that vm are changing the encryption methods of the premium channels which people speculate will render eurovox's and starviews useless. These changes are inevitable but My take on it is it won't happen for another year yet so if you buy a box it will still be worth it for a year of free viewing. If you want to look more in to it search the forums for Nagra 3.

mika_uk
14th January, 2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks Lanxman will have a read up on it

Thanks

Lanxman
14th January, 2009, 08:15 PM
No problem mika, If these changes worry you and you're not bothered about recording then go for the ex1000sl mate it's a cheaper option.

shaft1973
15th January, 2009, 06:30 PM
also being new to this does the ex5000 work the same way as sky plus record two programs and watch one you have already recorded only with the added benefits

Lanxman
15th January, 2009, 06:34 PM
No the ex5000 doesn't have a dual tuner you can only record one program at a time and you can't watch another channel whilst recording.

HiTeck
15th January, 2009, 06:46 PM
Unless it's on the same transponder, then you can record and watch another channel but fairly limited in comparison to a sky plus box.