PDA

View Full Version : Oven only heating up slightly

Evastar
16th February, 2012, 06:43 PM
i have a zanussi fan oven, i put it on earlier at 190 degrees, but when i checked there a while ago its barely lukewarm. The fan is on and the light is on, any idea why it's not heating up properly? :(

gizmo.1484
16th February, 2012, 08:07 PM
i have a zanussi fan oven, i put it on earlier at 190 degrees, but when i checked there a while ago its barely lukewarm. The fan is on and the light is on, any idea why it's not heating up properly? :(

Are the elements heating up just a bit? if yes then the thermostat has gone. If not then it's the element that has gone.

Evastar
16th February, 2012, 08:17 PM
Yes main oven is heating up a bit. The top oven is working fine. Is it expensive or difficult to replace the thermostat?

nibblitz
16th February, 2012, 08:30 PM
About 20 odd quid for a thermostat, shouldnt be too difficult to replace, isolate mains supply to cooker before doing any work on it though.. Get any serial number/markings from the thermostat in it currently then do a search for it...

Shady
16th February, 2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcpfZMe30s0

gizmo.1484
16th February, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yes main oven is heating up a bit. The top oven is working fine. Is it expensive or difficult to replace the thermostat?

What model is your oven? It is easer to fit the thermostat than the element and cheaper.
If it is warming up a bit then it is defiantly the thermostat.

cactikid
16th February, 2012, 10:53 PM
eva can i interest you in a jml oven lol

Evastar
17th February, 2012, 06:15 PM
ok, my brother called around. he took the back off the cooker and tested it. said there is power going to the element, but the cooker is stone cold, so it's not the thermostat, it's 99.9% likely to be the element.

it must have worked for a while yesterday and then broke, that's why i thought it was heating up slightly.

anyway i rang a spare parts company here in dublin and they have one which i could collect in the morning for 48 euro.

its ?15.49 plus ?6.99 postage from UK, which works out at just over 27 euro, so i've ordered one from espares. just hope it doesnt take too long to arrive!

thanks everyone for your help, fingers crossed this will sort it :)

nibblitz
17th February, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hopefully new element will do the job for you..

If it helps (maybe in the future) the way to fault test the element is to put a multimeters probes on each of the element electrical contact points and test continuity, if no continuity then its defo gone, but if you get continuity then its probably still good..

Evastar
17th February, 2012, 10:26 PM
Yes my brother did that earlier thanks. Just he said that there's no guarantee that when he replaces the element there won't be something else gone as well :(

daithi
17th February, 2012, 10:30 PM
did ya clean the oven lately eva as i no the sister used oven pride i think and some got on the element in the oven and the next time she used the oven the element burnt out

Evastar
17th February, 2012, 10:33 PM
No its a while since I cleaned it, its meant to be self cleaning, I just need to wipe the floor and clean the wire racks.

gizmo.1484
18th February, 2012, 01:07 AM
Espares are really fast at despatching there goods so you should have it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evastar
18th February, 2012, 11:32 AM
I hope so Gizmo, or I'll have spent the price of a new oven on takeaways! No its not that bad, the hob and top oven still work, so I just have to do more grilled food etc until it gets sorted.

gizmo.1484
19th February, 2012, 03:15 PM
I hope so Gizmo, or I'll have spent the price of a new oven on takeaways! No its not that bad, the hob and top oven still work, so I just have to do more grilled food etc until it gets sorted.

lol you must eat a lot of take outs or they are really expensive down your end lol

Evastar
19th February, 2012, 03:44 PM
lol you must eat a lot of take outs or they are really expensive down your end lol

I live in Dublin, everything is really expensive here!

In my sisters for dinner today and will do chicken kiev in top oven tomorrow with chips in deep fat dryer, so just need to put a bit of thought into it until oven is fixed.

plasterer
19th February, 2012, 04:39 PM
You and your gang just jump on the boat,
Your all welcome here for some Grub anytimes ...........Paul

cactikid
19th February, 2012, 06:17 PM
hmm chips out of the deep fat fryer,out of the bag or freshly cut?,use the philips air frier myself and aunt bessies chips.

Shady
19th February, 2012, 06:33 PM
thems not chips.. freshly cut from spud.. cooked in lard or dripping.. THEMS chips.. air frier ffs

Evastar
19th February, 2012, 06:47 PM
Freshly cut and cooked in sunflower oil :)

cactikid
19th February, 2012, 06:54 PM
roosters.lol and flora

Evastar
19th February, 2012, 07:11 PM
Yep roosters but no flora lol

urbanracer
19th February, 2012, 07:37 PM
Another vote here for espares good prices and quick delivery,hope you have hot meals soon.
Once happened to me on christmas eve luckily found a local spares shop open at 2pm he was not sure if the part heating element would fit,no option so I bought it and it worked.
Christmas dinner next day.

Evastar
20th February, 2012, 08:30 PM
The part has been dispatched so fingers crossed will be here in a couple of days :)

Evastar
26th February, 2012, 09:12 PM
element arrived on friday, so fair play to espares, very quick delivery. now i'm just waiting for my brother to come around and install it :)

Evastar
27th February, 2012, 04:20 PM
yay my brother put new element in, oven is working perfectly, cost 27 euro altogether to fix it, happy days :)

urbanracer
27th February, 2012, 05:36 PM
Happy ending ! Its good when you can buy parts for good prices and fix white goods at home.
saves being ripped off.

gizmo.1484
27th February, 2012, 06:28 PM
yay my brother put new element in, oven is working perfectly, cost 27 euro altogether to fix it, happy days :)

Glad you got it sorted and for 27 euro as well...Good going

Evastar
12th March, 2012, 04:59 PM
Well the oven went again on Saturday evening, same thing, fan turning and light on but no heat, so I gave up and bought a new one. No point gambling with the kids safety to save money. New one being delivered tomorrow.

Johnner
14th March, 2012, 01:46 AM
When the new one is being fitted,might be worth getting the Sparky to check the connections from the wall to the back of the cooker are all solid and tight.

Evastar
15th March, 2012, 10:18 AM
It's been fitted thanks, got them to install on delivery. Working great but have to cook dinner for twelve now on Sunday lol

DW190
15th March, 2012, 09:09 PM
When the new one is being fitted,might be worth getting the Sparky to check the connections from the wall to the back of the cooker are all solid and tight.

Most are fitted with moulded plugs nowadays

cactikid
15th March, 2012, 09:21 PM
doubt they have a moulded plug,they usually have to be wired into a heavy duty socket,is it turkey or beef on sunday eva?

Mjolinor
15th March, 2012, 09:25 PM
What time Sunday, I have a few other things to do first.