PDA

View Full Version : Box for a newbie

bokkie
17th February, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone.
I am totally new to this.
I am getting a motorised dish installed and want to tinker with the whole satellite scene.
I can't say exactly what I want to do, but you get the drift ;)
I am not going to use it excessively, just a bit of viewing and I'll be getting a viaccess card as well so would like it to be compatible.

I initially wanted an openbox, but heard they struggle with motorised systems, so I looked at the spiderbox.
Whilst looking into that I have found out that a dm800se can be had for about ?170. The same as a spiderbox 9000.
The dm800se doesn't have 1 thing that the spiderbox does, you know what I mean. But if it really is so much better, I'll sacrifice that.
I have heard that dm800 is very diifficult to get to grips with for a newbie like me.
I don't have a clue about emus and all the rest.
I don't really have time to learn how to use a box for a couple of days/weeks, so with this in mind should I go for a spiderbox or Blade7000s?
Can anyone advise me pls?
Thank you for your help

Shady
17th February, 2012, 08:39 PM
spiderbox comes with a 'gift' that you have no control over and can be stopped at anytime.. so much more can be done with a dm800 and they can be had for ?120 if you buy from china direct, can you read? then a dm is easy to set up, just follow advice from dk :)

bokkie
17th February, 2012, 08:50 PM
Thx for the quick reply.
I've just heard that they take a lot longer to master and the terminology is all a bit confusing.
I've heard of newbies getting a Blade 7000 or Spiderbox and being up and running in 20 minutes.
What about a dm800?
What more can it do and how can you view viaccess cards when it has no ci slot?

Shady
17th February, 2012, 08:52 PM
yeah a lot of people make out you have to be some sort of linux whizz kid to get a dreambox up and running, you dont.. in fact i have had people who have sorted dreamboxes come to me for help with 'easier' openboxes..

bokkie
17th February, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thx.
But how does the whole viaccess card thing work?
Does it go into the smartcard reader?
Is an EMU software or a cam slot?
It's doing my head in, i spent about 2 hours today looking into dm but just got confused.

ramjet
17th February, 2012, 10:59 PM
CA is a Card Access slot , for cards

CI slots are Common Interface slots for cams , and you normally put cards into those cams , although some cams like the diablo or trex dont always need cards after they have been programmed

if you want to use a cam , buy a box with a CI slot

same applies to CA slots if you use a card

bokkie
17th February, 2012, 11:23 PM
Thx ramjet. Does that mean If I have a Viaccess card, I can't use it on a dreambox as it doesn't have a CI slot?
I thought there was another way of doing it.

mdt
18th February, 2012, 01:14 AM
Thx ramjet. Does that mean If I have a Viaccess card, I can't use it on a dreambox as it doesn't have a CI slot?
I thought there was another way of doing it.

a dreambox does have a card slot(2 in the case of the dm800hdse) and can run most cards when used in conjunction with the correct softcam emulator. if you want a box that is basically plug+play and gives you free access via a gift to footy/movies and xxx then take a look at a protek 9700/9710. linux stb,s are great and are very customisable with excellent support but can be very frustrating to get to grips with at first(i know as my linux stb,s have been close to being launched out of the window on more than 1 occasion LOL) but if you have patience and are prepared to read alot of threads on the various forums then the dmm/vu+ clones are the best options atm for between ?110 and ?190 imo. regards mdt

sambhi92
18th February, 2012, 01:26 AM
I'd go for a protek mate if your looking at gift type box, if not, as the guys say, get the dm800hd pro or se, two great boxes, and if you need help, heck there's a whole section for dreamboxes.

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 09:59 AM
Ok, so you stick the viaccess card in the slot and you download a softcam emulator to get the card to work in the slot. As opposed to having cams like you do in a spiderbox, openbox, etc?
I think it's starting to make sense now.

ramjet
18th February, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ok, so you stick the viaccess card in the slot and you download a softcam emulator to get the card to work in the slot. As opposed to having cams like you do in a spiderbox, openbox, etc?
I think it's starting to make sense now.

spiderbox has its own card slot and the patch makes it a multicam emu

most spiderboxes also have a CI slot for a cam too

its not just as simple as you are making out

the fact is that if there is a card slot (CA slot) and if the patch or emu can run the card in question then it works

if not then a cam slot and cam may be required

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 02:00 PM
Ok so I've tried reading up on EMUs, etc. It says that you don't even need the card in the slot, just the keys and the correct emu to unscramble. So I can buy a viaccess card, get the correct emu, enter the keys and voila! Is that corrrect.
With my intended use in mind, viaccess cards and also for uses that I can't discuss. Would a dreambox be best?
Should I go for a "simpler" box that I can just insert the card to view?
Maybe a Blade, Spiderbox, Protek, etc?
Can someone recommend something for me?
Thx for all your help and patience.

canford
18th February, 2012, 02:35 PM
Best bit of advice i can give you is "read read read" and have a good look on youtube, theres lots of info you need on there, I think you will find most people will find it hard to nominate one box and say its better than the other as they all have good and bad points,if you like a bit tinkering around with things and if want lots of support(images/software/cams/etc) for your box, then the dreambox 800se is very hard to beat in my opinion, like i said thats my opinion and someone else might differ.

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 02:40 PM
I don't really have the time/patience to tinker, but feel like I'll be missing out if I don't get a dm800. Think I'll have to go for something simpler or the box will end up gathering dust as I don't have the time to learn how to use it.

potrobber
18th February, 2012, 03:47 PM
hi bookie get a blade box you cant beat them for setup time and channel update thru menu no messing with usb stick ect

what channels are you looking to watch ?

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 04:51 PM
Looking to watch as much as i can.
Mainly looking for a bit of Rugby. Think there's some on canal plus and sky italy. Maybe a few movies and some late night stuff ;)
I'm getting a motorised setup so I'll have a big choice, but the gift sounds tempting on spiderbox or protek.
But I have heard that Blade is easiest to master.

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 04:51 PM
Oh, does Blade update channels automatically?
Is that all channels?

mdt
18th February, 2012, 05:25 PM
if you get a blade then you will need to find your own gift. the protek has a blue button bouquet system for the gift channels but on the spiderbox or blade you will have to update them yourself or use someone elses channel list, regards mdt

potrobber
18th February, 2012, 05:28 PM
blade has its own channel lists built into menu so no need to use anyone elses lists its all there in menu 5 secs to update it when channels move transponders ect

mdt
18th February, 2012, 05:45 PM
blade has its own channel lists built into menu so no need to use anyone elses lists its all there in menu 5 secs to update it when channels move transponders ect

i didnt know that thanks m8... i dont really know to much about the blade and have only seen/had a play with one. thats seems a good feature on a closed source box, regards mdt

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 05:49 PM
So the protek also auto updates it's channel list? I am really looking for a box that is as hassle free as possible.
Between the protek and the spiderbox, which has the best, most stable gifts?
The thing I like about those 2 boxes is they give you time to find your feet whilst still giving you channels to view.
They're not that much more than the Blade really.
Is there anything that makes the Blade really stand out against these 2?

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 05:55 PM
Oh, just read somewhere that the protek doesn't do cccam. Does that mean you're limited to watching what they have on their server?

mdt
18th February, 2012, 06:00 PM
So the protek also auto updates it's channel list? I am really looking for a box that is as hassle free as possible.
Between the protek and the spiderbox, which has the best, most stable gifts?
The thing I like about those 2 boxes is they give you time to find your feet whilst still giving you channels to view.
They're not that much more than the Blade really.
Is there anything that makes the Blade really stand out against these 2?

the team behind the protek gift has a very good record and is much more stable than the spiderbox one imo although the spiderbox has more features and channels in the gift list. ive installed over 40 maxx1000/protek 9600ip boxs over the last 4 years(although none recently) and havent had any complaints yet. as you say you want plug+play with very little up-keep and the protek hd boxs are king of the hill atm imho, regards mdt

mdt
18th February, 2012, 06:05 PM
Oh, just read somewhere that the protek doesn't do cccam. Does that mean you're limited to watching what they have on their server?

the protek does newcamd so u can add your own "gifts" although c**am is much more popular, regards mdt

ramjet
18th February, 2012, 06:19 PM
Ok so I've tried reading up on EMUs, etc. It says that you don't even need the card in the slot, just the keys and the correct emu to unscramble. So I can buy a viaccess card, get the correct emu, enter the keys and voila! Is that corrrect.
With my intended use in mind, viaccess cards and also for uses that I can't discuss. Would a dreambox be best?
Should I go for a "simpler" box that I can just insert the card to view?
Maybe a Blade, Spiderbox, Protek, etc?
Can someone recommend something for me?
Thx for all your help and patience.

if you are using a card you wont be entering keys for it
keys are generally the softcam for ucas patches

the card gets its own keys from the provider "over the air"

there are plenty of boxes that will allow cccam, and some that wont

some will have patches , others plugins or emus, or cams

some will run certain cards , others may not

the more you want , the more bases you have to cover, and the more work you have to do

most boxes wont "serve" from the card, which means most will only decode your card or lines from somebody else

sending out from your box is much more tricky and you are then limited to a spiderbox, linux boxes, and maybe one or two more

dont think an openbox or blade or protek can "serve" out , ie:- incoming only or whatever is in the slots

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 06:26 PM
I will only be using it as a client, so no worries there.
Is there a list of protek channels anywhere?
Done a google search and not come up with anything.

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 06:28 PM
ouch. at ?250 the Protek doesn't come cheap.

bj1
18th February, 2012, 06:34 PM
well worth it though m8
.......BJ1

potrobber
18th February, 2012, 06:50 PM
i dont think the protek boxs give you any 28.2 on gift or am i wrong in saying this?

i had a a mk1 protek and sold it after 2 weeks it has oscam and will run c or n sea lions but i could not find any 28.2 open on it

i think a blade and a multi sat cs package is your way forward it should take no more than 20 mins to set up and box is fool proof

ramjet
18th February, 2012, 07:28 PM
i dont think the protek boxs give you any 28.2 on gift or am i wrong in saying this?

i had a a mk1 protek and sold it after 2 weeks it has oscam and will run c or n sea lions but i could not find any 28.2 open on it

i think a blade and a multi sat cs package is your way forward it should take no more than 20 mins to set up and box is fool proof

no box gives you 28e on a plate, they all need something "extra" :D

if the blade can run that via card its a good choice and can take c or n lines too

same applies to a spiderbox as well , or maybe a tm5402 , or an eagleHD

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 08:02 PM
Maybe even an eagleboxhd?
I wouldn't go for the openbox because I've heard they struggle with motorised setups.
But at half the price of the Blade, it had to be considered.

ramjet
18th February, 2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe even an eagleboxhd?
I wouldn't go for the openbox because I've heard they struggle with motorised setups.
But at half the price of the Blade, it had to be considered.

they all have to be considered, but you want to buy one that manages that via card, and a motorised setup

and with linux you may possibly use it in other ways than just a "client"

so your main concerns at the moment are will the box you buy run a motor ? and run that card too ?

after that its your future needs you may need to consider

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 08:15 PM
I really won't go much further with it than viewing. I don't have the time to tinker so want a simple, cheap setup that'll perform as a client, move my motor and run the viaccess card.
If an eaglebox can do this for half the price of a blade, that might be the way forward.

bokkie
18th February, 2012, 08:23 PM
Ok, so the Eaglebox doesn't have a CI slot. Guess the Blade is the front runner then.

mdt
18th February, 2012, 09:09 PM
you dont need a CI slot if the box in question can run a via3/4 card via a card slot/multi-cam emulator. the eaglebox hd has to warrant further investigation for a cheap+chearfull run a card/client sea-lion stb for what you require although they are reletively new so i cant say how far the team behind it are with the software/softcam updates . regards mdt

mdt
18th February, 2012, 09:17 PM

i tested a openbox s9hd (original) with a stab 100,tm2300 and al sat darkmotor and didnt find any problems although i only owned the box for 6 weeks so didnt use it that much . regards mdt

ebmitie
18th February, 2012, 10:50 PM
yes get the spider the 9000hd, and you get a 12 month special as well and it will read your card. and after 12 months it will do what a db does as well and a lot easier.

eb-

canford
19th February, 2012, 12:03 PM
Like i said in a earlier post everybody has there own opinions and personally myself if i was going to splash out for a blade (which i am not knocking) for the same price you can get a DM800SE which i do admit requires more knowledge is in a totally different league to the blade but as you said you want something that is hassle free.As for the openbox its hard to knock for what it does for the price,whichever way you decide to go, your not going to get a box that requires no input unless you get someone to do it for you,lol.

bokkie
21st February, 2012, 04:02 PM
I think all of the above have just been blown out of the water.
Vu duo clone for ?185 delivered!
Unless i can be convinced otherwise , i'm sold!
only concern is lack of support. As a complete newbie who only a week ago didn't know his emu from his ass, i'll need help every step of the way.

Manic01
21st February, 2012, 04:10 PM
Then the VU forum for you then.