PDA

View Full Version : blocked toilet

footycard steve
20th February, 2012, 12:06 PM
welcome to my latest problem thread,our downstairs toilet is blocked and when its flushed its almost overflowing,i've done a search on how to unblock it and found a video of somebody using washing powder and another how to with plunger/coat hanger etc. has anybody here actually used a method that worked? i've not tried anything yet as we dont have a plunger which looks the obvious option. the toilet does not get used lots of times a day as we also have an upstairs toilet so cant really understand why its blocked however i have a young nephew who could have put something down it i suppose.

lagerland
20th February, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yes i can confirm the coat hanger works well steve..............

hypersonic
20th February, 2012, 02:30 PM
Could be your nephew has put the loo roll down !
If this is the case you need to get it back out ~ If you can't clear it, it will probably soften and break up over time and you may be able to clear it by using an ordinary floor mop as a plunger ~ once the water level starts to fall, keep plunging with mop. That should clear it.:devil:

DOUGALMCD
20th February, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Steve the best way to check is to turn water supply off to the cistern then empty the cistern. Then you have to remove the pan. This will let you check the pipe directly and the U bend in pan. Rubber gloves a must. This is the only way you will have peace of mind about what really is causing blockage. Hope this helps if in doubt get it checked professionally. Be lucky.

Evastar
20th February, 2012, 03:43 PM
if it's anything biodegradable you can try pouring hot water down it (not boiling but pretty hot from hot tap)

sometimes kids tend to use half a roll of loo paper and the hot water can help to shift it.

zee24
20th February, 2012, 04:49 PM
Pouring thick bleach

Hot water but making sure not too hot or can crack the toilet bowl

coat hanger

Plumbers snake, can be found in most DIY stores

Plunger

Rid-X which breaks down the waste that gets stuck in toilets. google it

daithi
20th February, 2012, 05:15 PM
could be further down along the pipe if so ya can use wavin pipe
great stuff for beating a bold child with i often got a flake of it when i was younger lol
longer lengths come in handy for unblocking drains as its very flexible and strong

DOUGALMCD
20th February, 2012, 06:02 PM
I would rather see what the problem was than force things through as you could have more problems. As in the past you have had problems due to old pipes. If your nephew has put something down it might not be bio degradable. I have put loads of pans in and out. Piece off piss if you can pardon the pun.

cgscott
20th February, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah its a piece of piss. But a right smelly job. I once cleared a pipe and pan from 2 weeks worth off backup stool after a bad install :puke:

Best bet is as mentioned. Water off empty the cistern. Then have a look at the waste outlet pipe.

Good luck. Wear a mask as well :)

tshirtman
20th February, 2012, 08:06 PM
does your toilet have a wash basin in it,
reason I ask, the toilet and basin will share the same waist pipe, if the blockage is past the u bend run the hot tap in the basin or pour some unblocking fluid down the plug, see if that clears it.

happy_highlander
20th February, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm a drainage engineer/plumber best bet is an old string type mop stick it in a black bin liner and fill the pan to the top with water. Short sharp plunges will do it if it's a pan blockage (usually about 4) if the sink makes a noise blockage is further down the line, if you need to get someone in you should be paying a maximum of ?145.

patkins
20th February, 2012, 11:56 PM
Maybe first lift manhole cover to see if problem there then use string mop as mentioned.

footycard steve
21st February, 2012, 11:42 AM
thanks everyone for the advice,going for a plunger today and a wire coat hanger as we dont have one just read the post and see we could also try with a mop and need to remove the pan if needed,i will update later after trying the plunger etc.
also no we dont have a sink in the same room as its a converted coalhouse/outhouse and the previous owners fitted a toilet in,we also have our washing machine in there

footycard steve
21st February, 2012, 06:36 PM
got a plunger but no coat hanger,1st attempt produced dirty water had another couple of efforts and standing water level has dropped an inch or two but no big impact yet,dont want to have to adjust our stopcock as had problems with it recently its very awkward to get to and a plumber had a hard job just stopping it leaking.

SatSearching
21st February, 2012, 08:28 PM
Coathanger always works for me, even thin plastic ones with warm water will bend a bit round the u-bend.

If you have a bad neibour, throw the coathanger in their garden afterwards and hope they pick it up by the wrong end.

Bad neibour moved a while ago so I don't do that now.

SS

wulbert2001
21st February, 2012, 10:15 PM
put a pressure washer up it......

happy_highlander
21st February, 2012, 10:19 PM
put a pressure washer up it......

Putting high pressure water into an already full to the top toilet is not a good idea. Where do you think all the shit will go before the blockage clears, if it clears.

footycard steve
22nd February, 2012, 04:47 PM
we've had another session with the plunger and poured a fair bit of hottish water down to see if that helps.

footycard steve
23rd February, 2012, 09:47 PM
unblocked now but wow what a job,neighbour opposite had some rods so he started from drain outside which brought out some waste but it seemed rods were hitting something,the pipe from the toilet goes through another utility room and out via plastic corragated elbow fitting and we worked out the rods were hitting this elbow and not getting any further so as advised here removed the pan and rodded thruogh to the same elbow which then came off the pipe and inside it was solid with waste (remember what RED said ANDY escaped thru at the end of the shawshank redempion) so it got scooped out into a couple of bin bags put all pipes back in place gave it a flush and hey presto,this was definately not a one man job there was 3 of us and it wasnt very pleasent but at least it got cleared, not sure what caused the blockage maybe just a build up over time or something to do with the elbow fitting all possible with the help of a brilliant neighbour.

chalky 4
24th February, 2012, 08:32 AM
A high fibre diet could be the cause. Vastly increase your beer intake. Problem solved. :marchmellow: :devil:

JustMeAgain
24th February, 2012, 08:59 AM
Aw pity its cleared. I was gonna suggest a hand grenade. You wont find one using google but they are available in some of Britains more deprived areas or you can mail order from Libiya.

Cod3waX
24th February, 2012, 08:37 PM
best bet is a wire coat hanger cos it can go round the U bend

if this dosnt work after 10mins or so go out side n lift ur drain n see if its backed up to that point

dam next page didnt see this aint there a way that the orignal questions stays at the top of page then the newest answer goes in the top under the question ????

DOUGALMCD
25th February, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Steve not been on but glad to see your sorted. Good luck.