PDA

View Full Version : anyone use tyres to grow potatoes?

daithi
20th February, 2012, 05:17 PM
as mentioned does anyone use motorbike or car tyres to grow potatoes
i bought a ba of seed potatoes and was going to plant them ive heard f this method but never tried it
if anyone has done it have ya any tips etc on how its done

Shady
20th February, 2012, 05:41 PM
seeds? tyres? never used them, always just chucked a spud in a hole.. never had one not grow into lovely spud :)

Evastar
20th February, 2012, 07:14 PM
I've heard of it but never tried it. What. You do is plant the spuds and as the stems grow add another tyre and more soil so you get more potatoes, then repeat again when plant grows taller

cactikid
20th February, 2012, 08:31 PM
yes eva you are correct will produce heavier yield by covering up,make sure you pull the 2 rims of tyres apart and pack well.too early for planting out,presume you are chitting them.

daithi
20th February, 2012, 09:25 PM
seeds? tyres? never used them, always just chucked a spud in a hole.. never had one not grow into lovely spud :)

to save space shady grow up instead of out

I've heard of it but never tried it. What. You do is plant the spuds and as the stems grow add another tyre and more soil so you get more potatoes, then repeat again when plant grows taller

cheers eva

yes eva you are correct will produce heavier yield by covering up,make sure you pull the 2 rims of tyres apart and pack well.too early for planting out,presume you are chitting them.

will do cactikid

yes il be chitting them in an egg carton... how long should ya do this for
it says on the bag plant in march april and crop will be in june to august
il pack them well should i use compost with the clay or just clay

GastonJ
20th February, 2012, 09:35 PM
Won't the speed of the car or motorcycle affect them in any way? I mean speeding down the motorway at 70mph (we all stick to the speed limit don't we) with potatoes in the tyres may well peel and clean the potatoes as they rub on the rims before being eaten, however I'm not sure that it would help them grow :)

cactikid
20th February, 2012, 09:43 PM
i always used a good compost as they are hungry feeders,it may depend on when the ground temperature starts to warm up,no use under 6" of snow,a fleece over the ground will help to warm it up and will protect the plants from frost,remember nice hailstones in july lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_potatoes1.shtml

Grizz
21st February, 2012, 11:22 AM
i know of a couple of people using tyres with good results. i grew them in manure bags last year to try it out, but didnt get the best yield (my own fault though i think(crap soil, not enough holes in bag)). think i might just go the old fashioned route this year.

credoline
21st February, 2012, 11:28 AM
i bought a ba of seed potatoes and was going to plant them ive heard f this method but never tried it

My mother do it for a long years very successfully. Only important thing is soil naturally fertilized and water. Growing up in the sky. Water from the sky or rainwater collected in a container !!

MR C
5th April, 2012, 04:59 PM
loads of chips mmm

wulbert2001
8th April, 2012, 08:44 PM
buy biggest tubs out of pound stretchers stick them in that....

bluematttkz
24th April, 2012, 09:16 PM
tyres work well, a guy on our lottie does it that way, he gets 4 tyres high, easy to pick them aswell ;)

Sator2
4th August, 2012, 04:22 AM
:afraid:

I did try without success. On hot weather, all water evaporate or leak between tyres. But if you don't have space, try metal drum or bigger pot.

Hope that help.

Miklo
4th August, 2012, 11:34 PM
:eek: What kind of potatoes are you growing daithi if you're feeding them tyres?

mtv1
4th August, 2012, 11:37 PM
:eek: What kind of potatoes are you growing daithi if you're feeding them tyres?

he growing spuds m8 not potatoes ;)

cactikid
5th August, 2012, 10:22 AM
yes sam spuds lol