PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo Clone Tested First Impressions

digicon
24th February, 2012, 02:43 AM
Hi all as promised have finished all of the tests available to me to put the clone duo through its paces.

Vu+ Duo Clone * No HardDrive Installed * Pre Kernel 3.1.1 Image BH 1.6.6

Tuner A set to Usals on Supreme Darkmotor
Tuner B set to Simple Single Sat 28.2?
Also had this setting in reverse

Ok Duo drives Motor no problem on tuner A and B signal levels on both via the box itself is the same as my Ultimo maybe -1db lower on quality but pretty much the same, Switching between Motor and static via Bouquets reacts exactly like my Ultimo and 800se.

Tuner A set to Usals Supreme Darkmotor
Tuner B set to Advanced with Diseqc 1.0 through switch on 0.8? west and 28.2? east
Also had this setting in reverse

Same as above signal levels still strong on Tuner A on tuner B as expected a -3db loss due to the diseqc switch intresting as the 800se clone also loses anothe -7db through the same switch so the Duo wins here Tuner wise.

I also did the same test on my test rig which is a Zone2 60cm Motorised Sky dish with TM2600 motor and results where the same the Duo never flinched.

Vu+ Duo Clone * HardDrive Installed * Pre Kernel 3.1.1 Image BH 1.6.6

I did the same tests as above but this time with an ex SkyHD 500gb seagate pipeline HD installed, I just did the various flick through different channels on the motor and satatic and the Diseqc arrangement just to see if the power supply flinced with the HD installed, I can confirm another pass no problems reported.

I also did some PTS tests with the Hard drive and a 16gb pendrive installed with picons, everything worked as it should and any recordings i tried via the EPG guide worked from standby. The only recording test i did not try was form Deep standby as it appears the pre Kernel 3.1.1 BH images have a problem waking up from deep standby infact i had to reflash the box twice after leaving it in a deep sleep for 2 days so that was one negative from the older BH 1.6.6 image.

Vu+ Duo Clone * No HardDrive Installed * Kernel 3.1.1 Image BH 1.7.2

Again tests where done identical to the above with the various configurations this time after updating the loader on the box via the supplied Null modem cable and IC security chip board.

All tests where done with and without hard drive installed and again everything worked exactly as expected PTS on HD and USB stick all fine no problems, EPG recordings from standby all performed as normal.

Now the differece with the new 3.1.1 Kernel and images BH 1.7.2 this time around had Zero problems with deep standby tested after a few hours and the longest i left it was around 3 days and it awoke via the remote no problem, From doing some research i dont think this is a problem with the clones as i have seen posts of exact same nature with originals until upgraded with the latest image.

Also the Patched Loader acts like the Original Duo and will let you install previous images if you so desire.

Heat issues from the box are along the lines of my Ultimo and 800se they get warm but so does a lot of electrical items, the only difference i have done with mine is i found that the installed fan is not getting rid of the heat from the PSU as it draws the hot air out. Now all i have done is reverse the fan so it blows cold air in and over the PSU. This is not advisable for everybody as people have them in cabinets and racks but mine is on a shelf with a lot of clearance around it and with the eversal i have found that the top left corner at the back above the PSU is now cold where as before it did get quite warm, Like i said not for everyone but some of you may give it a try.

And that is basically it, Everything seems to be working as the original would all Official Plugins work from the BH server and general day to day viewing is in my opinion as it should be.

Before anyone asks i am sorry i have not tried it with different images and just left it to Blackhole but this is the image i prefer and is what i run on my Ultimo, Any other member please feel free to do some testing on other images and post your results for comparison i would love to see it.

Conclusion:

Clone Duo wins over my 800se due to the fact it has twin tuners and also the Tuner sensitivity is slightly better and the big plus it runs Original images.

the rock
24th February, 2012, 10:14 AM
just a quick question for the guys in ireland with saorview will the clones use a dvt -b dongle so we have a tripple tuner has any one tested this thanks guys

chrisnasah
24th February, 2012, 12:42 PM
Excellent thanks for sharing will be useful for someone when trying to purchase one, although i am not able to justify why someone would pay approx ?200 for a clone when original can be obtained for around ?290-?300 approx. Not worth the worry if something goes faulty in few months i think.

If the difference was as such as the dm clones have with originals this would have been an excellent buy. I think if it was half the price then maybe worth it.

dell_xps
24th February, 2012, 01:35 PM
Good write up m8 !

redondo5
24th February, 2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for that. How did you reverse the fan? did you switch the connections internally? or is it possible throught the image?

digicon
24th February, 2012, 07:01 PM
Excellent thanks for sharing will be useful for someone when trying to purchase one, although i am not able to justify why someone would pay approx ?200 for a clone when original can be obtained for around ?290-?300 approx. Not worth the worry if something goes faulty in few months i think.

If the difference was as such as the dm clones have with originals this would have been an excellent buy. I think if it was half the price then maybe worth it.

if you can get an original for ?290 then i would love to know where from as they are usually ?319 and the price for a clone is not ?200 if you shop around the price on average is around ?185 give or take depending on the exchange rate so a saving of ?134 thats another DM800HD pro.

Thanks for that. How did you reverse the fan? did you switch the connections internally? or is it possible throught the image?

No i just literally turned the fan around by removing the power supply and unscrewing the fan and turning it around. Simple.

freck
24th February, 2012, 08:22 PM
just a quick question for the guys in ireland with saorview will the clones use a dvt -b dongle so we have a tripple tuner has any one tested this thanks guys
I've tested it on the Sole CE edition and it works fine on Black Hole image 1.6.6.
Easiest gadget for Saorview at the moment is the WIWA
Plugs into any tv with a scart,also's a media player..pause live tv,records to usb drive,plays media from usb/hdd.
Full epg and digital radio stations....great piece of kit.
My suppliers site is down but heres the main source (http://www.wiwa.info.pl/index.php?id=34)
Polish translation needed or try ebay
Freck
P.S. Heres a translation of the page thanx to Google Translate.....

WIWA Tuner HD-50 - is a compact set-top box capable of receiving free Freeview DVB-T MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 H.264 video and radio channels (FTA) in the ranges: VHF (174-230 MHz) and UHF (470 -862 MHz) channels with a width of 7 MHz and 8 MHz.

Wiwa HD-85 - meets all the requirements of digital terrestrial television on Polish AND Irish territory.
It is equipped with:
- AC3 decoder (Dolby Digital),
- E-AC3 decoder (Dolby Digital Plus)
- HDMI connector for signal reception in HD
- MPEG-1 Layer I / II
- MPEG-2 layer II
- MPEG-4 LC 2ch/5.1

The device also gives the opportunity to:
-recording of television programs in digital quality on an external hard drive or memory stick.
-alloying image at any time watching.
-Play your favorite movies, music or pictures by creating HD Media Player.
Excellent image quality in high definition resolution (1920 x 1080p) guarantees a great pleasure and comfort of watching ..

Active remote controlled.
OSD in Polish - telewizowa displayed on the screen, clear intuitive, easy to use.
Language can be changed to English!!

ekkostar
24th February, 2012, 10:05 PM
Nice write up, although I would go for an Original every time.

BH make by far the best image IMHO so if the clone runs original images then fair do's.

chrisnasah
24th February, 2012, 11:28 PM
if you can get an original for ?290 then i would love to know where from as they are usually ?319 and the price for a clone is not ?200 if you shop around the price on average is around ?185 give or take depending on the exchange rate so a saving of ?134 thats another DM800HD pro.

No i just literally turned the fan around by removing the power supply and unscrewing the fan and turning it around. Simple.

Well am sure everyone would have heard of world of satellite... on ebay he sells them on there too and also had some on best offer... if you talk to him he will agree for around ?290 plus ?10 postage so yeah ?300 but you have the peace of mind... i understand at present we can use the latest firmware on these clones but you dont know whats down the line in 2 months, maybe it should all be fine but for the sake of 100 pounds id still go for original one.

Yes you are right the clones can be bought for ?185 but i only managed this via China and again risky if it arrives DOA or issues down the line.

trance
29th February, 2012, 04:16 AM
Thanks digicon, for taking the time to inform us all on the vu performance under different setups
cheers

samoloko
1st March, 2012, 01:18 PM
digicon

Is It possible for you to test tuner sensitivity between DM800se clone / Vu Duo Clone / Vu Ultimo original at some week transponders for you at 11.8 - 12.7 range (5E or 7W) (If you have transponders that breaks would be better) but without diseqc switch - only cable
I am very Interested which box will win

bigkenny1
3rd March, 2012, 05:08 AM
I cannot get my clone VU+ Duo to work with CCcam it will not connect, my friend has it working with Mgcamd but he too cannot make it work with CCcam. Can this clone box work with CCcam??

digicon
3rd March, 2012, 10:33 AM
I cannot get my clone VU+ Duo to work with CCcam it will not connect, my friend has it working with Mgcamd but he too cannot make it work with CCcam. Can this clone box work with CCcam??

Yes CCcam works perfectly with the clones, To help you we need to know what image you are using on your box.

dell_xps
3rd March, 2012, 02:11 PM
Dudes, no cccam talk !! take it to PM

digicon
3rd March, 2012, 02:41 PM
Dudes, no cccam talk !! take it to PM

It was a softcam related question with nothing more related to it, apart from your statement above.

samoloko
4th March, 2012, 08:49 AM
digicon

would you please tell us something more about tuner sensitivity of 3 linus boxes you got as stated at post 11

regards

digicon
4th March, 2012, 05:09 PM
digicon

would you please tell us something more about tuner sensitivity of 3 linus boxes you got as stated at post 11

regards

Hi samaloko,

i have seen the post m8 and i have also seen something similar you posted on the Vu community forums about the sensitivity of the Ultimo tuners.

What can i say mine are fine tried your test on 4.8 east and there is nothing in it at all both tuners for each box Ultimo and Duo are similar the DM800se sadly lacks behind.

If you are having problems with the tuners in your Ultimo then you need to return it for exchange.

redondo5
10th March, 2012, 01:19 AM
Ive noticed on a clone with vix image 2.2, the HD PQ was nothing special. In fact it looked quite poor on some of the HD channels. Im wondering if anyone else has noticed the poor picture quality on these clones, in particular those using vix 2.2 or above.

digicon
10th March, 2012, 02:04 AM
Ive noticed on a clone with vix image 2.2, the HD PQ was nothing special. In fact it looked quite poor on some of the HD channels. Im wondering if anyone else has noticed the poor picture quality on these clones, in particular those using vix 2.2 or above.

I cannot comment on your Picture Quality issue with the Vix 2.2 image as i use Blackhole, but from a previous BH 1.6.6 and now running 1.7.2 i could not tell any discernible differences in picture quality.

There are differing factors with this as in have you calibrated your TV's input did you use another HDMI input on the TV from what you normally use even a change of cable these are all factors when it comes to trying to gauge picture quality on one persons setup.

The only thing i could suggest is either try another image to see if that gives you any difference in picture quality or even try the latest up to date Vix 2.3 image.

As far as i am aware all images should be the same as they use the same drivers obviously you would have to find a comparable image to Vix 2.2 that runs the same drivers to see if there would be any difference

cactikid
10th March, 2012, 09:47 AM
i would agree on the hdmi cable been used can have a difference in picture,i could use the ones that come supplied but prefare a clearer sharper picture with a better hdmi cable.

kman999
10th March, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I have installed Vix 2.3 on my clone and it works great except the screen layout is not good, finding that parts of the screen are being chopped of. Dropped a msg on the forum to see if someone can help. Also I find the when loading the box up from a cold boot it can take a good few minutes to start

Got eveything working, vix 2.3 is very good because i like the EPG better than others.

I have also tried BH 1.7.2, but have to say the best image for me is VTI. No issues and very quick.

There is site dedicated to the images

cactikid
10th March, 2012, 06:49 PM
there maybe an option to change the settings to get picture to fit screen from the menu-setup options,from moving your picture left and right up and down as my coloured buttons were cut in half.

kman999
11th March, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks, your were spot on Menu > System > OSD Settings

The only other issue I have had is the intializing of my hard disk, it seems to take ages. Its only 80GB. I go into the system menu to intialise it. Can you provide any information on that

Thanks again for all your help

diviesh
17th March, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks, your were spot on Menu > System > OSD Settings

The only other issue I have had is the intializing of my hard disk, it seems to take ages. Its only 80GB. I go into the system menu to intialise it. Can you provide any information on that

Thanks again for all your help

Hi mate, I'm not familiar with Vu Boxes at all but i know computer hardware - and if your disk is taking a long time to initialise i would say its down to a couple of things.

1, Corrupt harddrive (too many bad sectors) cause drives to slow and sometimes they can take a long time to initialise, if initialise at all

2, Could be down to the cable used to connect the hard drive, could cause similar problems.

Also a question to the Vu+Duo veterans out their, i have been looking at purchasing a vu duo, instead of using my dm800, i like the idea of the dual tuner.

but obviously down to price i would probably go for a clone(all review i have read are good so purchase wise i would be happy)

what i am concerned about is that i heard from someone that Vu are currently trying find ways to break the clone boxes, is that true, is this something that they might be able to do.

is it risky to buy the clone cause of this

cactikid
17th March, 2012, 12:05 PM
what you need to remember is vix support their own original boxes and they dont support clones,so if you put original on a clone it may have problems,next i will be told their is no clone firmware as its all one but their may differences in the extras between the original,if you follow digicon he has made of very informative posts to guide people.
if the clones are running an older firmware with no problems then people are happy,its the newer stuff that may have a problem and others may have a different image than vix running sweet.

benny/9
18th March, 2012, 02:03 PM
i'm having no problem with original images on a clone vu duo
i have the blackhole 1.7.2 on it but i had to update the box with a file
via a small 2s232 panel in line with a null modem cable, now it works on
any genuine image. the downside is this can only be done with a computer with
a fixed 9 pin com port ,usb to serial converters will not work with this rs232
panel, from what i read every converter on the market has been tested with
no luck at finding one that works

mdt
18th March, 2012, 10:32 PM
there is always a risk when buying clones and updating them with images for original boxs as the manufacturers will always try to protect their investment.. if you get a duo clone then follow every guide/tut you can find and only use files you know are safe. you should always be willing to write off anything you buy if not 100% kosher in this game although if your carefull you should be fine. by the way i have a vu+solo clone running BH.1.7.2 with the latest kernal and although i had a problem at first(it took me 6 hrs to flash) its now running fine although i havent put it through its paces fully, im going to put V.I.X. on it now to see what all the fuss is about, regards mdt

benny/9
19th March, 2012, 12:39 PM
i agree there could be a risk with buying a clone box and i
have always used only original models, then i decided to test
a dm800se clone that i found was as good as my original 80se box
then when the vu clones came out i decided to test the vu+duo clone
and found it first class in every way, and after updating the kernal to 3.1.1
with the null modem and small rs232 board to use the latest images,it has loaded every original vu image iv'e tested and worked first class.and as i said it now has the blackhole 1.7.2 on it, and it updated and flashed the image by usb very quickly, i'm that pleased with this box i have sold my original dreambox and the dm800se clone 2.10 i have is going the same way and if i get ?90 plus postage when it goes on the bay i will be happy. i never thought i would have said this about clone box,

potrobber
19th March, 2012, 02:09 PM
clone duo,s are very good the only thing to check with them is the connections inside them the main one from psu to main board and any others

i have had 3 now with connections not pushed fully home and a couple with the display moved a little but all this is a five minute fix

danivtec
20th March, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have just taken delivery of a clone Duo

Sadly the casing has a scratch on the top of it and the RS232 port is bent out of shape.

Seller has been contacted with photos

dell_xps
20th March, 2012, 01:53 PM
Where did you buy it from m8 ?

danivtec
20th March, 2012, 02:10 PM
Where did you buy it from m8 ?

PM sent regarding this.

dell_xps
20th March, 2012, 02:18 PM
Cheers m8, guy has had a problem with same vendor, Im sure he is on the forum ?

danivtec
20th March, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cheers m8, guy has had a problem with same vendor, Im sure he is on the forum ?

Yes I have found the thread with his username.

danivtec
21st March, 2012, 06:00 PM
Receiver has been collected today for a refund.

dell_xps
21st March, 2012, 06:18 PM
Result !!

Guy cant be all that bad then :-)

danivtec
22nd March, 2012, 09:47 AM
He was pleasant in our communication so thumbs up to him for collecting it so quick.

The unit is out for delivery today to him.

danivtec
22nd March, 2012, 02:18 PM
Unit has been delivered back to him and a refund issued.

Result

dell_xps
22nd March, 2012, 05:02 PM
Marvellous !!, now buy a genuine one from WOS !!

danivtec
22nd March, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just taken delivery of an Ultimo from WoS :)

Thought I would splash out a bit more, the VFD looks the business.

dell_xps
22nd March, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yup the Ultimo is fantastic VFD display is amazing :)

nortonuser
12th June, 2012, 07:49 AM
Wondering if any one has had any luck recording from deep standby with a VU Duo clone please.

cabuukar
31st October, 2013, 07:53 PM
I know this thread is old but does anyone know where (reliable) I can get VU+ duo clone, and what is their average price now?