PDA

View Full Version : tower computer faster for downloading films etc

alotmentman
25th February, 2012, 09:40 AM
help im new to downloadin .ive got a tower computer just wondering which is best way to get to download fast ie does it matter on the size of the ram [its got one gig }my mates tower downloads a 1gb film in twenty mins hes on virgin 30mb unlimited im on sky mb unlimited yet my takes bout 6 hour all help appreiceted thanks:beer:

Shady
25th February, 2012, 10:06 AM
hes on fibre broadband.. you're on adsl.. depending on distance from exchange you wont be getting anywhere near the advertised speed.. also he may be downloading from a different source, ie nzb over torrents.. your 'tower' computer wont be making any noticeable difference in speed. do a speed check here Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)

alotmentman
25th February, 2012, 12:29 PM
hes on fibre broadband.. you're on adsl.. depending on distance from exchange you wont be getting anywhere near the advertised speed.. also he may be downloading from a different source, ie nzb over torrents.. your 'tower' computer wont be making any noticeable difference in speed. do a speed check here Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)
hi mate thanks quick reply done speed test runin at 10mb ...his speed same both downloading off p irate bay thriogh utorrent ?

darcu5
25th February, 2012, 12:57 PM
also depends on how many peers are online with the film you are trying to d/l.. if you use torrent search check the ones that have the most peers, some will say 3000 and another one can say 3, The more peers the faster you will get it.. hope this makes sense lol

alotmentman
25th February, 2012, 08:38 PM
also depends on how many peers are online with the film you are trying to d/l.. if you use torrent search check the ones that have the most peers, some will say 3000 and another one can say 3, The more peers the faster you will get it.. hope this makes sense lol
both got samr download speed both downloading of same site same film same peers its got me scratchin me head gonna check is ram tamora and gonna take me coputer down to is and download a film at is house see wot happens i let u no thanks

Hoppy01
26th February, 2012, 12:57 AM
both got samr download speed both downloading of same site same film same peers its got me scratchin me head gonna check is ram tamora and gonna take me coputer down to is and download a film at is house see wot happens i let u no thanks

There are a few things will make results differ mate as no 2 pc's are the same!
They might have similar hardware specs but everyone uses different programs or different security,some pc's are well maintained with regular patches and driver updates.

You would really need to post some more info mate, you mentioned 1gb of ram, 1 is good enough to power an average XP install but Windows 7 will swallow most of that up for the OS itself.

If you are new to downloading using Torrents then a quick Google on how to do it safely is a must or your pc may be converted to a brick in a short space of time..

alotmentman
26th February, 2012, 08:51 AM
There are a few things will make results differ mate as no 2 pc's are the same!
They might have similar hardware specs but everyone uses different programs or different security,some pc's are well maintained with regular patches and driver updates.

You would really need to post some more info mate, you mentioned 1gb of ram, 1 is good enough to power an average XP install but Windows 7 will swallow most of that up for the OS itself.

If you are new to downloading using Torrents then a quick Google on how to do it safely is a must or your pc may be converted to a brick in a short space of time..
im runing windows vista .4gb nowon bt broadband 15mb tested speed will let you no wot me mates running tanate thanks watched is download same film in 15 mins ....just wantin to no if its down to broadband provider .hes on optic virgin im on old telephone line speed tested his same speed