PDA

View Full Version : OpenBox Newbie

Conzer
25th February, 2012, 10:30 AM
Could a more experienced member pm me some info on how to get started. Basically Im going to buy an Openbox, seems like the best value for what I need. Without going into details of that here. Just looking something for the bedroom. What all would I need to buy. Ive got computer, at 28.2 aerial and a wi-fi. Thanks in adavnce. :beer:http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

Shady
25th February, 2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f184/openbox-setup-guide-257009/
in the open box section
:hmmmm:

Conzer
25th February, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks. A few questions as i am a some what "noob." I have btvision with the sky sports so my dish should be fine as it for openbox and s-y channels? Thanks:top:

Shady
25th February, 2012, 10:47 AM
bt vision doesnt use a sky dish.. it uses broadband and normal tv aerial.. HAVE you got a sky dish? because any satellite box wont work the same way as a btvision..

Conzer
25th February, 2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry i was getting mixed up. I do have a aerial just. Does this mean these boxes wont work? :afraid:

Shady
25th February, 2012, 10:56 AM
fraid so mate.. get a second hand sky dish.. be ready to go then :) :top:

ramjet
25th February, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sorry i was getting mixed up. I do have a aerial just. Does this mean these boxes wont work? :afraid:

correct, you need a satellite dish pointed at 28.2e (like a sly dish) for sat boxes to work

and for other satellites its more complicated, possibly needing a motorised dish

you wont get anything with an aerial or btvision

Conzer
25th February, 2012, 10:58 AM
Dead on, cheers mate.

mdt
25th February, 2012, 02:12 PM
get yourself a cheap zone1/2 of e*** and install it yourself... all you need is a couple of 10mm spanners,10mm bit,hammer,pliers,hammer drill and ladders. if you do try and DIY it please be carefull and dont do anything your not comfortable with, regards mdt

Conzer
25th February, 2012, 09:29 PM
Ok. Would you have any recommended dishes or links please? thanks. Also best place to get openbox? E--y?

Shady
25th February, 2012, 09:44 PM
any old sly dish do u, and yeah fleabay for openbox... the homeplugs you got from bt will fetch a pretty penny on fleabay too :top:
and you can re-use the hdd from the btvision box, stick it in an external caddy, et voila, hdd for openbox recording :top: