PDA

View Full Version : question about work holidays

smirnoff_rules
27th February, 2012, 07:32 PM
ok , does anyone know this .. when u start a new job are u allowed hoildays after afew weeks from the day u start .. ie turn up do a week and ask for 2 weeks off ? she thinks that right but cant see that being right ? l think it has to months before your entitled to holidays not weeks . dosnt make sense

paul hick
27th February, 2012, 07:35 PM
holidays are usually accrued for the first year so you dont just turn up do a week,scam them for 2 weeks holiday pay and bugger off back to the dole office.

masur123
27th February, 2012, 07:37 PM
I had this same conversation with work the other day. You can be authorised holiday as soon as you start, but its generally down to management discretion, and most companies with any sense would not authorise holidays until at least partially accrued some days.

smirnoff_rules
thats wot lm trying to tell the nutter but she is not havin it .. anyone seen this on a government site l cant find anything about it ..

cheers paul hick

Johnner
I would imagine like Ireland,you have to work up a certain amount of hours first before you're entitled to any holidays.

Here it's something like 1.66 days holidays for every fully worked month.

HTH

Bulld0g
27th February, 2012, 07:39 PM
This may be of some help Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788) .

smirnoff_rules
27th February, 2012, 07:46 PM
looks like she is right if it not in an employment contract then ? will have to remember that , so it has to be in there or u can just take time off but still at employers discretion

cgscott
27th February, 2012, 07:48 PM
If you got something planned then let the employer know. Its up to them what they want to do. Reason most interviews always include a question about holidays planned.

If you start a job weithout telling them about holidays you have planned the employer could at his discretion pay you off. Although he shouldve asked the question in the first place.

gc1966
27th February, 2012, 07:52 PM
maybe you could offer her unpaid leave if she has not accrued enough hols or maybe you should ask at the interview stage in future if they have anything booked.

when i started the job where i am at the mo i told them ehat i was going to australia for a month within six weeks of starting,they were fine with and thanked me for telling them at interview.

smirnoff_rules
27th February, 2012, 08:03 PM
l was asking because my daughter was starting a job monday but has just had an email (only just told me ) says they will see her monday to discuss holidays and so on before she signs her contract , looks like that know wot there doing lol .. l will remember this if l employ anyone else

ITS A SCAM !
27th February, 2012, 08:22 PM
If the person is undertaking a full time position, and they are not on a temporary contract, there should be no issues with being allowed a paid holiday straight away, as long as the management were aware of the proposed holiday when employing the employee. The paid holiday is then taken in good faith that they then intend to work enough to accrue enough days service to qualify for paid holidays. There is always a element of trust given towards the employee, and usually there is no problem with them working enough weeks to cover such time off. If the employee leaves before the paid holidays are legally worked for, the employer can take back any money owed to them from any remaining wages owed to the employee. Hope that helps.

thered
27th February, 2012, 09:15 PM
Discretion is the key word 1 employer may be ok the next may not

best thing if you are going for a job is to tell them in advance that you have a holiday booked in a few weeks blah blah blah

strictly speaking you have to accrue holidays from your yearly quota ie 1 month might earn you 2 days

there may be a workround it may be unpaid it all depends on how big the outfit or how short staffed they are but the main thing is how nice the boss is

Meat-Head
27th February, 2012, 11:09 PM
l was asking because my daughter was starting a job monday

Might be worth enquiring about sickness pay, if she has an accident, becomes ill, up the duff etc etc.

OFF TOPIC:-

People working for vodapfone.com - can have 1 "Duvet Dy" a month - whey they can stay in bed, off line with no penetly

That would be cool, book some shit job in and have a duvet day!

lagerland
28th February, 2012, 11:07 AM
The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:

you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)
part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
your employer can control when you take your holiday
you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

It usually works out about one and a half days per month.............