PDA

View Full Version : whys optic broadband faster

alotmentman
27th February, 2012, 08:47 PM
my friend got virgin broadband running at 15mb ive got bt running at same speed.why does downloading take hours to download a film wen .virgin download film at is place takes 25mins .ive taken my laptop to is place and when downloading film of 720mb takes just twenty mins on virgin broadband on bt it takes 4 hour ? yet running at same speed

dctyper
27th February, 2012, 10:31 PM
because fibre optic uses light and copper wire doesnt

dc

zee24
27th February, 2012, 11:00 PM
I thought BT was optic now?

Shady
27th February, 2012, 11:01 PM
only infinity areas :) like me :proud:

manhatten
27th February, 2012, 11:07 PM
zee24 I thought BT was optic now?

Dont beleive it Thats what they will tell you, In most cases its FTTC Fiber to the cabinet at the end of your street and then the 30 or 40 year old aluminum or copper wires to your house.

zee24
27th February, 2012, 11:10 PM
I use to have internet with BT around a decade ago but it was crap and sh1t customer service, been with Virgin since i left em and and not had any major probs

TheCoder
28th February, 2012, 12:11 AM
With ADSL, you generally dont get the advertised 'possible' speed and the actual speed tends to fluctuate quite significantly. The real killer though is likely contention. With ADSL your likely to be contending for fairly limited bandwidth with your near neighbours. The more neighbours using the internet at any one time the slower you'll download !

VM also have contention but its much more managed and there's generally much more bandwidth available to be shared amongst fewer customers.

alotmentman
28th February, 2012, 08:47 AM
i did mate yet asked them its only certain areas its called {bt infinity } cant wait to me contract runs out virgin here i come ......thanks to one un all we this bt might be unlimited download but they dont mention it takes you all day to download a 1gb film not cost effective bye bye bt :beer:hello virgin /dint think ever be sayin that lol

alotmentman
28th February, 2012, 08:48 AM
i did mate yet asked them its only certain areas its called {bt infinity } cant wait to me contract runs out virgin here i come ......thanks to one un all we this bt might be unlimited download but they dont mention it takes you all day to download a 1gb film not cost effective bye bye bt :beer:hello virgin /dint think ever be sayin that lol