PDA

View Full Version : New User...

xa0s
15th January, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi guys,

My mate has a Eurovox EX5000 PVR and he suggests I should do it too.

I currently have a full Sky HD subscription but I'm sick of paying ?60 a month for it!

Is the Eurovox EX5000 PVR the best to go for? Apparently it's the most stable, and the HD box isn't worth having due to not many HD channels.

I'm mainly after Sky Sports and Setanta, and a PVR is very important to me.

What do you all suggest?

xa0s

chinkoblinko
16th January, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Mate,

I have the Eurovox 5000, and mainly use it to watch sky sports and setanta. It is good, but it can be a pain when the channels are scrambled and you have to wait for a fix, but it doesn't happen that often.

You do get all the sports channels including MUTV etc, so its very good.

The PVR isn't great, I have set up quite a few programmes to record and then when i've come to view them it hasn't worked, which is V frustrating!!! It wprks 8 out of 10 times though.

The thing you have to concider is, do you wanna fork out ?60 a month or do you wanna take a risk and get this box for around ?120 and then pay only ?20 for every channel.(they could manage to block all boxes eventually, but lets hope not!)

In my opnion it's worth risk and saves me money!! You just have to be prepared to put up with the niggles.

Hope this helps

andy4
16th January, 2009, 01:38 PM
xa0s if you'r thinking of changing from sat to cable
just get bb only cheaper than basic package
and you can still get all your tv channels aswell.
got ex5000pvr myself as chinko says pvr bit hit & miss
but still you'll not be paying ?60 a month m8

xa0s
17th January, 2009, 04:45 AM
What do you mean ?20 a month?

My rest of the household use VM legitimately, so it'd only be me...

I'm selling my Sky HD box for ?170, and then buying a Eurovox EX5000 PVR with 120gb HDD.

I'm a United fan so MUTV is a big plus, as is Sky Sports and Setanta.

Has anyone got a full channel list of every channel you can receive? There's only a few I want, and it'll be annoying searching through 1,000+ channels. I think I'll use the favourites a lot.

Is there anything obvious that I don't know of? I'm completely new to this. Is there anything else I need to buy? I had VM put in a splitter and I just bought a 10m cable. I have a feed, an S-Video (does it have component out?) and an optical cable for sound. Are there any channels that put out DD 5.1 and can the box handle this and send it to my amp as bitsream?

5bellies
17th January, 2009, 09:09 AM
What do you mean ?20 a month?

My rest of the household use VM legitimately, so it'd only be me...

I'm selling my Sky HD box for ?170, and then buying a Eurovox EX5000 PVR with 120gb HDD.

I'm a United fan so MUTV is a big plus, as is Sky Sports and Setanta.

Has anyone got a full channel list of every channel you can receive? There's only a few I want, and it'll be annoying searching through 1,000+ channels. I think I'll use the favourites a lot.

Is there anything obvious that I don't know of? I'm completely new to this. Is there anything else I need to buy? I had VM put in a splitter and I just bought a 10m cable. I have a feed, an S-Video (does it have component out?) and an optical cable for sound. Are there any channels that put out DD 5.1 and can the box handle this and send it to my amp as bitsream?

In my opinion Sky is the better platform, but that does have the premium of cost.

If you delete all the late night and foreign channels you end up with about 180 channels.
(A full scan will give you 260ish channels with some duplicates and foreign)
There is a list on vee.emms site look for the xl package. No box office or on demand. but you can sometimes get to see what your neighbours are viewing.
you also have to remember there are no guarantees, you pays your money and takes your chance.
I personally wouldn't cancel my sky, because of having a euorovox. But if you hav Vee.emm already buy one and see if it is for you. Lots of people have saved $$ But as you are technically breaking the law, there is a small risk you may get caught(IMO very small)
The newer eurovox may have component out, the 5000 has scart but picture quality is not the best, I don't necessarily think it is the box but more what is fed into it, the channels are possibly quite compressed.

All in all once you weigh up the risks not a bad option though.

HTH
5Bellies

xa0s
17th January, 2009, 10:34 AM
Does the EX5000 have S-Video and Optical out?

Cheers for your reply -- very helpful.

Can I get Setanta, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and MUTV? That's pretty much all I want...

elvislives77
17th January, 2009, 11:02 AM
Just joined, thanks a lot for info.

beerman
17th January, 2009, 04:31 PM
The connections on the back of the EX5000 are:

TV Scart Output CVBS,RGB,L,R,Output with Volume Control.
RCA Output CVBS,L,R,Output ( Yellow,White,Red Jack)with Volume Control.
S/P DIF RCA Output.
RF-Connector 75O IEC169-2,Male/Female.
Data Interface RS-232,Bit Rate:115200baud,Connector : 9 pin D-Sub Male type.

5bellies
17th January, 2009, 06:24 PM
Does the EX5000 have S-Video and Optical out?

Cheers for your reply -- very helpful.

Can I get Setanta, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and MUTV? That's pretty much all I want...

If it has been flashed with the latest firmware then yes you can receive those channels.