PDA

View Full Version : DiSEqC switch problem

gracieboo
1st March, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi there guys ive just installed a multi lnb set and im using it on an old technomate 5300. Ive checked all the sats indvidually and they are all fine, i have a 2 way diseqc switch and i can switch between any of the the two sats at a time that i have connected to the switch. So today i bought a 4 way switch but when i connect it up i get nothing. The 4 way switch says its diseqc 2.0 so my question here is have i bought the wrong 4 way switch??? as in my settings for the technomate have only got 1.0 , 1.1 , 1.2 and usals. Any help greatly appreciated.

ramjet
1st March, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hi there guys ive just installed a multi lnb set and im using it on an old technomate 5300. Ive checked all the sats indvidually and they are all fine, i have a 2 way diseqc switch and i can switch between any of the the two sats at a time that i have connected to the switch. So today i bought a 4 way switch but when i connect it up i get nothing. The 4 way switch says its diseqc 2.0 so my question here is have i bought the wrong 4 way switch??? as in my settings for the technomate have only got 1.0 , 1.1 , 1.2 and motor. Any help greatly appreciated.

try setting it to diseqc v1.1 and have the first sat on committed 1 and uncommitted 1 , and the second sat on committed 2 and uncommitted 1

this leaves 3 and 4 ready for further expansion

gracieboo
1st March, 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks ramjet but im unsure how to do that. I did change the two way switch on in the 1.0 and it worked fine. so should i go into the 1.1 witch has the 16 switch settings? im then still un sure what you mean about the commited and uncommited. is there an idiot proof way to explain it to me. many thanks for replying. I just pressumed in the end that the switch wasn,t compatable with my setup.

ramjet
2nd March, 2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks ramjet but im unsure how to do that. I did change the two way switch on in the 1.0 and it worked fine. so should i go into the 1.1 witch has the 16 switch settings? im then still un sure what you mean about the commited and uncommited. is there an idiot proof way to explain it to me. many thanks for replying. I just pressumed in the end that the switch wasn,t compatable with my setup.

I cannot tell you the settings in your technomate

all I can do is advise on setting it up and trying the committed and uncommitted, and I would have thought the diseqc setting up may have been in your manual

so for a 4 way switch , you set the settings to 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 for committed and 1 in all four settings for uncommitted

the simple diseqc of A, B, C, D should have worked, but if not its the commit and uncommit that need altering to suit in diseqc v1.1

bj1
2nd March, 2012, 11:27 AM
i have the same set up on my protek 9710 on 13e 19e 28e and i have the same switch aswell i set mine up on diseqc 1.0 even though the switch is diseqc 2.0. when i first set it up it would not work and i found that if i put a forth cable from one of my quad lnb
it works fine so now my set up says

LNB1 13 E

LNB2 19.2 E

LNB3 28.2 E

LNB4 28.2 E

so all 4 have to be connected for this to work on diseqc 1.0
so if you have any spare ports on any of your lnbs just simply connect a cable from it to your spare port in your switch and it should work.

gracieboo
2nd March, 2012, 07:05 PM
Cheers bj1 and ramjet. bj1 i did as you said with the 4 way switch and connected the four lnbs ports up but still only two would work this time 28 east and 39 east. So i tried serveral different permentations of the set up but still no joy. So then i ran two lenghts of coxial one from 39 east and one from 19 east and just behind my reciever i connected them to a two way switch that i have and they worked fine . But when i put the switch beside the dish and run two short lenghts into the switch then one longer lenght of coaxal to the reciever i get nothing. Just to make sure, i done it again by running two lenghts from the two lnbs and putting the switch behind the reicever and again everythings fine but as soon as i do the other way with the switch beside the dish i get nothing???? ive tried it half a dozen times and its the same result. im baffled

gracieboo
2nd March, 2012, 09:14 PM
Still no luck. Dick b if you read this your help would be greatly appreciated as i know you know a thing or two about technomates. cheers.

bj1
3rd March, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cheers bj1 and ramjet. bj1 i did as you said with the 4 way switch and connected the four lnbs ports up but still only two would work this time 28 east and 39 east. So i tried serveral different permentations of the set up but still no joy. So then i ran two lenghts of coxial one from 39 east and one from 19 east and just behind my reciever i connected them to a two way switch that i have and they worked fine . But when i put the switch beside the dish and run two short lenghts into the switch then one longer lenght of coaxal to the reciever i get nothing. Just to make sure, i done it again by running two lenghts from the two lnbs and putting the switch behind the reicever and again everythings fine but as soon as i do the other way with the switch beside the dish i get nothing???? ive tried it half a dozen times and its the same result. im baffled

check your cable and connections on the feed for your switch
if it works behind your box it should work anywhere as long as your cable run is not to long.

patkins
5th March, 2012, 12:26 AM
106854For what its worth......
When you sort out the 4way switch you can, if you like, connect the out cable from the 4 way switch to one of the in connections on the 2 way leaving you scope for adding more sats to the idle connection.

gracieboo
14th March, 2012, 06:03 PM
Ive just set the sky dish up at my dads house and connected all the leads individualy and all sats 19/28/39 east are fine. So again this time with a technomate 4 way switch i done patch cables from lnbs to switch that i cable tied to the back of the dish and one cable to the reciever. Im getting 19 east and 28 east fine using the switch but still no joy with the 39 east even thou its lined up on it I then tried 39 east and 19 east and took 28 east out and it worked for 19 and 39 but when i add in 28 east i can,t get it???. I then tied 19 east and 39 east from that dish and took a feed from another neighbours dish for 28 east just to make sure that it wasn,t some sort of signal overload on the zone 2 dish i was using, but again once i added the 28 east cable i can,t get 39 east. I think ramjet said something about covering the other lnbs with a clothe would this help in my situation even thou it aint monoblock??? Sorry for such a long winded question/explaination but this is doing my nut in over something thats probably simple. Thanks for any help guys that yous can give.

ramjet
14th March, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ive just set the sky dish up at my dads house and connected all the leads individualy and all sats 19/28/39 east are fine. So again this time with a technomate 4 way switch i done patch cables from lnbs to switch that i cable tied to the back of the dish and one cable to the reciever. Im getting 19 east and 28 east fine using the switch but still no joy with the 39 east even thou its lined up on it I then tried 39 east and 19 east and took 28 east out and it worked for 19 and 39 but when i add in 28 east i can,t get it???. I then tied 19 east and 39 east from that dish and took a feed from another neighbours dish for 28 east just to make sure that it wasn,t some sort of signal overload on the zone 2 dish i was using, but again once i added the 28 east cable i can,t get 39 east. I think ramjet said something about covering the other lnbs with a clothe would this help in my situation even thou it aint monoblock??? Sorry for such a long winded question/explaination but this is doing my nut in over something thats probably simple. Thanks for any help guys that yous can give.

my answer of covering an lnb up on a monoblock was in relation to lining up a monoblock on a single dish using the correct lnb from the 2 lnb`s contained in a monoblock for the purposes of lining up only

it as nothing to do with using single lnb,s and a diseqc switch , or to do with any switching issues either

gracieboo
14th March, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just read a abc guide from whatsat saying that for every 5 degree seperation on the lnbs the dish size needs to increase 20% or so. So maybe when im putting the third in its overloaded with signal??? Don,t know how to do a link to it but if you can google whatsat abc guide to seeting up multi feed satellite dish and let me know what yous all make of it. many thanks ramjet.

ramjet
14th March, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just read a abc guide from whatsat saying that for every 5 degree seperation on the lnbs the dish size needs to increase 20% or so. So maybe when im putting the third in its overloaded with signal??? Don,t know how to do a link to it but google whatsat abc guide to seeting up multi feed satellite dish and let me know what yous all make of it. many thanks ramjet.

I do not believe that has anything to do with it either , seems to be clutching at straws to me, from your description they seem to be advising a bigger dish being required when spacing lnb,s out on a lnb rack, which is correct

back to the facts:-

a 4 way diseqc switch is normally 4 to 1 , meaning 4 lnb inputs and 1 receiver output, and can only be switched to one at once, so its like a 4 way switch that only allows connection from the receiver to each lnb in turn, this is the A B C D scenario

when connected to one lnb the voltage is connected as well and that lnb works , the others are all switched off and receive no voltage or tones and so are "dead"

using diseqc v1.0 you would normally set A to astra at 19e , B to hotbird at 13e , C to astra2/eurobird at 28.2e and D to say bulsat on 39e ( in my case I have D on hispasat at 30w )

diseqc v1.1 can also be used which is where the commit and uncommit come into play , where uncommit is always 1 for a 4 way switch

seems to me that as each cable works direct but has a problem with this switch , its either a switch or a settings problem , bearing in mind that the F connectors have to be correctly attached with the f connector touching the outer screen for earth

it would help if you could try a different make of 4 way switch too, as well as trying commit and uncommit in diseqc v1.1

mdt
14th March, 2012, 07:10 PM
probably a faulty switch!, a 4 way switch should work using diseqc 1.0. regards mdt

patkins
14th March, 2012, 11:05 PM
When working with switches before I got trouble from screwing in cables which resulted in the blob of solder (keeping the connection rigid) cracking.
So I made up four short runs of cable and fitted them to the inlet end permanently and made all my connections then to the short run cables with barrel connectors.
Sorry for the sh*t drawing and it's hard to write with a mouse.108521

johnwilliam1
15th March, 2012, 01:43 PM
it probabily wont work properly, i have used a number of these, and they are very sensitive as far as connecting the cables to them, i bought 1 recently and only 3 of the 4 ports actually worked, in the past i have had 1 where only 2 out of 4 ports worked similar to you, you have to be gentle when you put the cable in the diseq switch

gracieboo
15th March, 2012, 05:29 PM
it probabily wont work properly, i have used a number of these, and they are very sensitive as far as connecting the cables to them, i bought 1 recently and only 3 of the 4 ports actually worked, in the past i have had 1 where only 2 out of 4 ports worked similar to you, you have to be gentle when you put the cable in the diseq switch
Thanks for that does anyone think this the case??

dick b
15th March, 2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for that does anyone think this the case??
I used a clarketech and found no probs at all it worked 1st time only the normal care is needed in connecting it up.

mdt
15th March, 2012, 07:41 PM
was your box switched on when you set the switch up at the dish? regards mdt

Nutsandbolts
15th March, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hi. Some info regarding Diseqc switches for TM,s. DISEQC 1.0 is for 2 and 4 way switches.
DISEQC 1.1 is for 16 way switches.
DISECQ 2.0 is for 32 way switches but will work with 1.0 and 1.1 switches.
DISEQC 1.2 and 1.3 are for motors. (In MOTOR settings).
Lets deal with the 4 way switches. Basically you have 5 connections - 4 for your dishes/LNB,s and one connection which goes into your receiver. The dishes/LNB,s have to be connected to the 4 ports on the switch. Depending on the model of the switch the ports are labelled as 1.2,3 or 4 or A B C D. Remember that the fifth port must be connected to your receiver. So if we have for example 4 dishes/LNB,s for HOTBIRD 13 EAST, ASTRA 19.2 EAST, FREESAT 28 EAST and HELLASAT 39 EAST to connect to the switch i would do the following:
1) Make sure that all 4 dishes are correctly aligned to the satellites and you get a good signal for each satellite.
2) Before connecting to the switch i would label all 4 cables with the name of the satellite which they are attached to. This will make life easier for you if you have problems.
3) It does not matter in which order you attach the cables to the switch. So if we say start with HOTBIRD in port 1 ( or A) of the switch. Make sure the cable is screwed in properly.
4) Now we need to set up the receiver to pick up port 1 for HOTBIRD. This is done via the SATELLITE SETUP menu in the TM,s. (by the way i have a TM5400 super). In this menu make sure you have the satellite set to HOTBIRD.
5) Go to the line which says DISEQC 1.0 (also make sure that DISEQC 1.1 is set to OFF) in DISEQC 1.0 select option 1 - 4 ( the options available are 1-4 ,2-4, 3-4 4-4 and OFF). You need to select option 1-4, this is because we have connected HOTBIRD dish to port1 on the switch. To help you the TM will also give a graphic of a switch with the port numbers displayed.
5) Now at the bottom check for the signal quality for HOTBIRD. If you are getting a good signal this indicates that the switch is working. Check all the transponders in your setting. If you do NOT get any signal then check you have connected the cable correctly . If signal is good then press the YELLOW button to save. You now have HOTBIRD on port 1. If you now change the satellite from HOTBIRD to a different one the DISEQC 1.0 setting will change to OFF. Then select HOTBIRD again and it should display setting 1-4 in the graphic.
6) Now connect a second satellite ie ASTRA 19 EASTto the switch using port 2or B and use DISECQ setting 2-4 in receiver menu. Follow the same procedure as for HOTBIRD Do not use setting 1-4 for ASTRA otherwise you will lose the signal for HOTBIRD and wont get the ASTRA signal neither as the connections will get mixed up.
When you have ASTRA working on setting 2-4 then connect the other 2 dishes using the same method. In the end if everything is done correctly you should end up with the following setup on your switch.
1-4 HOTBIRD
2-4 ASTRA
3-4 FREESAT
4-4 HELLASAT.
To be honest it looks complicated buts it very simple. Always check that you have the dishes aligned correctly before connecting the switch and make sure that you allocate the correct port in the DISECQ 1.0 menu. Hope this make it a little clearer and helps you. Any further help let us know. If had this set up a few years ago and it was working but i now have a motorized system with the same receiver and it works great. I find a motor much better than having numerous dishes/LNBS and cables to worry about. Also a motor is a lot cheaper and gives you more. Regards.

gracieboo
16th March, 2012, 03:42 PM
was your box switched on when you set the switch up at the dish? regards mdtCan,t rem but don,t think so.

gracieboo
16th March, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi. Some info regarding Diseqc switches for TM,s. DISEQC 1.0 is for 2 and 4 way switches.
DISEQC 1.1 is for 16 way switches.
DISECQ 2.0 is for 32 way switches but will work with 1.0 and 1.1 switches.
DISEQC 1.2 and 1.3 are for motors. (In MOTOR settings).
Lets deal with the 4 way switches. Basically you have 5 connections - 4 for your dishes/LNB,s and one connection which goes into your receiver. The dishes/LNB,s have to be connected to the 4 ports on the switch. Depending on the model of the switch the ports are labelled as 1.2,3 or 4 or A B C D. Remember that the fifth port must be connected to your receiver. So if we have for example 4 dishes/LNB,s for HOTBIRD 13 EAST, ASTRA 19.2 EAST, FREESAT 28 EAST and HELLASAT 39 EAST to connect to the switch i would do the following:
1) Make sure that all 4 dishes are correctly aligned to the satellites and you get a good signal for each satellite.
2) Before connecting to the switch i would label all 4 cables with the name of the satellite which they are attached to. This will make life easier for you if you have problems.
3) It does not matter in which order you attach the cables to the switch. So if we say start with HOTBIRD in port 1 ( or A) of the switch. Make sure the cable is screwed in properly.
4) Now we need to set up the receiver to pick up port 1 for HOTBIRD. This is done via the SATELLITE SETUP menu in the TM,s. (by the way i have a TM5400 super). In this menu make sure you have the satellite set to HOTBIRD.
5) Go to the line which says DISEQC 1.0 (also make sure that DISEQC 1.1 is set to OFF) in DISEQC 1.0 select option 1 - 4 ( the options available are 1-4 ,2-4, 3-4 4-4 and OFF). You need to select option 1-4, this is because we have connected HOTBIRD dish to port1 on the switch. To help you the TM will also give a graphic of a switch with the port numbers displayed.
5) Now at the bottom check for the signal quality for HOTBIRD. If you are getting a good signal this indicates that the switch is working. Check all the transponders in your setting. If you do NOT get any signal then check you have connected the cable correctly . If signal is good then press the YELLOW button to save. You now have HOTBIRD on port 1. If you now change the satellite from HOTBIRD to a different one the DISEQC 1.0 setting will change to OFF. Then select HOTBIRD again and it should display setting 1-4 in the graphic.
6) Now connect a second satellite ie ASTRA 19 EASTto the switch using port 2or B and use DISECQ setting 2-4 in receiver menu. Follow the same procedure as for HOTBIRD Do not use setting 1-4 for ASTRA otherwise you will lose the signal for HOTBIRD and wont get the ASTRA signal neither as the connections will get mixed up.
When you have ASTRA working on setting 2-4 then connect the other 2 dishes using the same method. In the end if everything is done correctly you should end up with the following setup on your switch.
1-4 HOTBIRD
2-4 ASTRA
3-4 FREESAT
4-4 HELLASAT.
To be honest it looks complicated buts it very simple. Always check that you have the dishes aligned correctly before connecting the switch and make sure that you allocate the correct port in the DISECQ 1.0 menu. Hope this make it a little clearer and helps you. Any further help let us know. If had this set up a few years ago and it was working but i now have a motorized system with the same receiver and it works great. I find a motor much better than having numerous dishes/LNBS and cables to worry about. Also a motor is a lot cheaper and gives you more. Regards.Thanks nutsandbolts thats what i was looking for an idiot proof manual on how to do it. many thanks again everyone