PDA

View Full Version : Tree Advice - What to get

nibblitz
2nd March, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hi all, anybody know anything about trees? Ive been googling for ages and still cant fathom what to get. I want to get a tree for my (near oxford) garden to act as a sort of screen, and to also look good.. I'd like it to be very fast growing, low maintenance, and at maturity a max height and width of about 20 foot.. Any suggestions? Thanks guys..

daithi
2nd March, 2012, 09:58 PM
doubt you will get one tree to grow 20 feet wide
laurels grow fast and high if they suit will need 4 or 5 to cover a 20 foot span
or plant more in the space to fill it quicker

wulbert2001
3rd March, 2012, 12:12 AM
only thing i can think off is leylandii grows fast and tall but u need to keep it under control laurels r more like a shrub than tree#
:pepsi:

nibblitz
3rd March, 2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks, but I had a row of leylandii, ugly things that got out of control, I had them chopped down... I'd prefer a single tree with a dome shape, giving a nice spread and doesnt grow too high... From my google research I think its going to have to be a cherry tree of some sort.. Was just wondering if anybody else knew of a faster growing tree that might be suitable..

Evastar
3rd March, 2012, 08:19 PM
definitely don't get leylandi, they kill every thing underneath them, also when they get cut back if not done right can leave ugly brown areas and they also can cause problems for asthma sufferers

cactikid
3rd March, 2012, 11:48 PM
Buy our Cheap Hedge plants online to create Privacy in your Garden - Gardens4you - Your Online Garden Centre (http://www.gardens4you.ie/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27&category_id=811&lang=en&page=shop.browse&gclid=CKu30rTmy64CFcoa4QodjWnd_A&vmcchk=1)

Fast Growing Trees Nursery featuring Privacy Trees and Empress Trees (http://www.fastgrowingtree.com/)

tamolyn
20th March, 2012, 08:30 PM
Try looking at ornamental malus (Crab apple). Nice shape, good disease resistance, nice flowers, bright fruit & some have leaves which change colour. They live longer than cherry trees.