PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Media server

jimbob37
16th January, 2009, 04:49 PM
After much messing around with MP11, TVersity and others and always being disapointed in just how awkward they can be I was delighted to stumble upone this little gem

ps3mediaserver - Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/)

It transcodes MKV's on the fly with 5.1 audio and as far as I can tell no loss of quality. Also alows you to setup the way it works to a small degree from options you get whilst navigateing from your PS3

I dont know the auther or have any affiliation just hink this software is bettter than anything else I have sue to do the job so far.

Well worth a look if your into this sort of thing.

dazza78
17th January, 2009, 03:19 PM
After much messing around with MP11, TVersity and others and always being disapointed in just how awkward they can be I was delighted to stumble upone this little gem

ps3mediaserver - Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/)

It transcodes MKV's on the fly with 5.1 audio and as far as I can tell no loss of quality. Also alows you to setup the way it works to a small degree from options you get whilst navigateing from your PS3

I dont know the auther or have any affiliation just hink this software is bettter than anything else I have sue to do the job so far.

Well worth a look if your into this sort of thing.

looks good m8 , but which 1 did u download?

im gonna give it a go
just for the fact that it does mkv
dazza

cathy_c
23rd January, 2009, 10:49 PM
It is fantastic! I can now watch all of the files on my computer through the television without having to faff about with file formats.

Only thing I would say though is that while normal avi files play perfectly, my 54Mbps wireless router isn't fast enough for MKV files. They stutter to the point that they are unwatchable. I have a long ethernet cable on order to solve the issue though.

Ryan
28th January, 2009, 01:20 AM
I just use WMP11 as a Media Server.

I only wish I could find something that would work with iTunes music instead, I have roughly 100 .m4a's that I can't send through the media server.

cathy_c
28th January, 2009, 10:49 PM
I can't verify it myself as I don't think that I have any m4a files, but it looks like this media server can handle them, so maybe give it a go? There is a thread on the forums for it that suggests it will work fine with the right settings...

PS3 Media Server • View topic - AAC, M4A, iTunes Streaming (http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13)

C64
28th January, 2009, 11:09 PM
I don't understand why you can't get WMP to do it all for you, there is no need for 3rd party apps.

Ryan
29th January, 2009, 09:26 PM
I don't understand why you can't get WMP to do it all for you, there is no need for 3rd party apps.
This is true if all of your music files are supported by WMP, but some of mine aren't, they are M4A format from iTunes, so half of my music is missing when I use the Media Server.

I can't verify it myself as I don't think that I have any m4a files, but it looks like this media server can handle them, so maybe give it a go? There is a thread on the forums for it that suggests it will work fine with the right settings...

Thanks. :)

dazza78
3rd February, 2009, 08:39 PM
looks good m8 , but which 1 did u download?

im gonna give it a go
just for the fact that it does mkv
dazza

cheers then thanks for lettin me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petemac
12th February, 2009, 01:33 PM
TVersity - Home (http://tversity.com/) is the way to go !!!

deegnm
12th February, 2009, 01:44 PM
Nero media home is also another good option, as is orb i use all three Tversity, Orb and Nero.

17th March, 2009, 06:48 PM
hi I don't understand why you can't get WMP to do it all for you, there is no need for 3rd party apps.

jetsada
17th March, 2009, 10:38 PM
never tried streaming on my ps3 as my PC is right next to it, has anyone tried 1080p though? my PC occassionally has problems playing them back and pixelates but isn't too bad.

Also not entirely relevant but TV Rename is a proper sweet program for keeping track of filenames for films/series etc you have, it'll grab series, episode #, episode name etc from TVDB, it'll tell you if you're missing episodes, gives you a next air date so you know when to "watch" and it's freeware! :party:

DirtyAce
29th March, 2009, 01:01 AM

WMP cant stream 1080p MKV without any muxing/splitting/converting.

Get PS3MS installed witchy!