PDA

View Full Version : router

wolfey3108
5th May, 2008, 02:58 PM
hi im not very good with routers. i bought a belkin when i was with aol. and could not get it working so i dumped it. then i was told belkin does not work with aol. now im wit virgin. would belkin be my best bet

Jaffa
5th May, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah Belkin work fine with VM, you can even get them with a usb port to plug a printer into and make the printer accessible wirelessly to other pc's or laptops on your network.

Netgear and Linkseys make very good routers aswell so any would do really.

TravelHead
6th May, 2008, 06:53 PM
Virgin sell routers online - see if they have any particular recommendations.

Personally, have found belkin poor. Netgear and Linksys are popular so have good user support on forums etc. From memory, netgear cable routers are not as highly rated as the netgear adsl modem routers!

I like the Buffalo Air station high power, it can be picked up for about ?30. It has a high gain antenna so wireless connections are stable, also if you wish third party firmware can be installed on it to make it more powerful.

biffo1
6th May, 2008, 08:44 PM
Have u managed to sort ur router out mate , up and running let us know how u get on

Elric
7th May, 2008, 12:37 AM
i use a belkin fd5 7230-4 router for cable for about three years until last week
untill it died on me so i went to argoose and bought another belkin same model
number as before 30 quid they are,also they really simple to set them up

i hope this helps...

mcmasterg
7th May, 2008, 12:47 AM
i have a bel router and i am on virgin works fine i ahve had it for over a year, dont ask for any help from virgin if you have any problems they will not support bel routers they are a bit funny about it i have had to reset mine 2/3 times but this is really easy.

Nobi
8th May, 2008, 02:11 AM
I did use several brands....however, to me, my choice will go to Linksys router...eventhough, eventually CISCO will terminate this name and keep one as CISCO

WRT54-GL is a strong unit ('L' means Linux support) ...but you can use on any system.
Also, you can use the third party as DDWRT as your new firmware.

It is a very good unit with reasonable price
Unit comes with 16MB of flash (you can check how good of having 16MB flash memory)
Also, with DDWRT firmware you can even adjust Unit RF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

melloned
3rd December, 2010, 06:22 PM
:hmmmm2: My brother-in-laws recently had virgin broadband installed , with their latest super duper router , i'm on my 2nd wireless adapter , but still can't get either to connect to VM's router.
I even had a VM engineer on the phone for 20min , talking me through it ( a clever bloke ) and he concluded, Vm's ready to connect at their end , but the PC won't let them in ! , and to search the net for help , which i've done , to no avail .
The 2nd adapter i'm using ( a ralink ) , connects instantly to the net , but only to Bt's openzone , and won't let me search anywhere else . The PC is a dell gx270 and works brill with an ethernet connection , but the router lives 2 rooms away .
Has anyone the knowledge to dig us out of this one ?? :hmmmm2: