PDA

View Full Version : Cat C9 problem (exhaust temperature)

Khein
8th March, 2012, 04:42 PM
Im having a problem with a C9 engine mounted in a Challenger 670. Engine Serial # JSC.
The problem is intermittent. My client tells me that some times the machine is working fine and engine starts to release a lot of black smoke, lose power and everything heats a lot (exhaust, turbo, pipes). Exhaust heats so much that leaves that touch it burn if fire.
There are no active codes or logged events.

Any idea of which can be the problem?

c16man
10th March, 2012, 01:13 PM
When does this happens? Full RPM,Full load? On hot days, cold days?

hercamp
10th March, 2012, 06:39 PM
all Ive seen ,like that problem ,is an injector with a lot of fuel ,try to check that ...

DICODIESEL
10th March, 2012, 06:46 PM
well i think the same of hercamp , maybe the problem is in the injectors...

saludos

motoraio italiano
11th March, 2012, 05:40 PM
replace injectors, we have esperience realy bad injectors after only 1000 hours, ciao

Khein
12th March, 2012, 12:19 PM
c16man: the problem happens randomly, sometimes it dont show in all work day and sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times a day.

hercamp: we did check injectors and all look OK it the fuel cut off test with ET. Besides this, as I said before, the problem is not there allways, so we cant think of a injector with a lot of fuel because the problem would be continuously

We think the problem migh be the pump because when the problem occurs we CANT start oil high pressure test with ET, the notebook just crush and we have to reset it.
I will let you know later what else we discover

Khein
12th March, 2012, 12:59 PM
We just return from checking the machine and I have to add that when the problem occurs we have active this code 42-5 Injector Actuation Valvae open circuit, but once we stop de machine and start it again, the fault code is inactive and the engine work perfectly.

Also when the problem occurs (and the fault code is active) the real oil pressure never matches the desire pressure, its allways a lot lower.

Might be a problem with the high pressure oil pump? What puzzles me is that the failure is intermittent, not continuous.

DDS
12th March, 2012, 02:11 PM
Pull the cover off the top of the pump and check for medal debris around the solenoid, possible bearing starting to fail.New pumps have bigger improved bearings. Also possible the coil is breaking down internaly and is affected by heat..

Khein
12th March, 2012, 02:14 PM
Pull the cover off the top of the pump and check for medal debris around the solenoid, possible bearing starting to fail.New pumps have bigger improved bearings. Also possible the coil is breaking down internaly and is affected by heat..

In case we found something of this. Is there anything to repair? Or the only way is to change the pump?

c16man
12th March, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yip I would say it is the HP Pump, We have had a combine that had some engine trouble (running rough etc...) only in the afternoon (every day same time) It turned out to be the HP Pump that was failing, changed the pump machine OK.
There is no serviceble parts inside the pump.
DDS is right there was a bulletin out a while back about C9 engines that had some problems with the HP Pump bearings( Changed to bigger bearing )
Just remember to check the oil rail (in head) for metal debris.
Remove plug on front of head ( big allen wrench needed ) Think there is one at the back also...
If you find metal debris there you will have to flush rail.

c16man
12th March, 2012, 07:07 PM
Could someone post the bulletin please?
Engine ser CLJ or JSC

c16man
13th March, 2012, 05:47 PM
Ok the procedure is not on the service letter as I have thought.

Khein
13th March, 2012, 07:50 PM
Thank you for this document.
Now a question, how can someone get to know this service bulletins because sometimes they are very usefull. Do you have to read all bulletins of every engine or what?

octagom
13th March, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hello K,C9 engine sometimes have problem with camshaft and lifters-rolers may fail, check valve clearence,and also you can check HEUI pump yo can make dead end test.If pump presure is ok replace the IAP solenoid .

catalin_u
27th March, 2012, 01:24 PM
42-5 Injector Actuation Valve open

Injector Actuation Valve is inside of High pressure pump. Possibly the electric plug is deffective. The wire contact is bad.
The randomly defect is telling you is probably an electric issue.