PDA

View Full Version : Couple of beginner Q's

JimboM
9th March, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hi all

I'm looking at getting a Duo but want to make sure I know as much as I can before I do so. Done plenty of reading but can anyone answer a couple of questions for me

1. As funds are tight I'll probably have to get the Duo first and add a HDD at a later stage. However on the guides I've read it says that you need to install the HDD before you flash the image. If I get my Duo with Vix pre-installed is it simply a case of re-installing the image or is it more complicated than that ? Also will any SATA drive work

2. Can I set the box up so that 1 feed is hooked up to my old motorised dish (from my Hummy 5400 days !) and the other feed is from my fixed Sky dish ie so that switching to Sky channel is immediate, my 8yo daughter is too impatient to wait for a dish to swing into position !

3. How do the EPGs work, sort of get the impression you can download different versions ? Do these update over the internet or via the satellite channel providers. Can you do series links etc.

Thanks for any help

Jim

dell_xps
9th March, 2012, 11:27 AM
Q1, yes you can put a hard drive in at any time now, before on older images it
wouldnt let you intialize it, but you can put a 2.5 or a 3.5 sata hard drive in at any time.
If fitting a 2.5 you will have to buy brackets or modify it to sit in the duo
yourself, 3.5 fits the easiest though.

Q2, yes

Q3, epg is full 7 days, download via plugin, and you can set it to update
via the menu for any time you like.

HTH

JimboM
9th March, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hi dell_xps

Thanks for the info, very helpful

One more question though, can the Duo output 2 separate signals so that I could watch 1 channel downstairs and another channel upstairs ?

Thanks

dell_xps
9th March, 2012, 03:42 PM
Yup, you can stream 1 channel upstairs via a computer whilst
watching another downstairs, you may also watch a 3rd channel if it uses the same transponder as one of the two that are being watched already.
HTH

PS for streaming hd channels use homeplugs though, for sd pic your wifi
is fine.

JimboM
12th March, 2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks again for the input dell_xps, box has now been ordered and should be here tomorrow :bounce:

Unsurprisingly got a few more questions though.....

1. With the fixed 28.2 and motorised setup does it matter which is signal 1 and which is signal 2. Not sure if it makes a difference but most viewing will be on 28.2 but I'll probably want to stream the motorised feed to upstairs more than the 28.2

2. Can someone clarify what a bouquet is and what I need to do with them.

3. The box is coming with Vix pre-installed, I know I'll need to setup cccam at some stage but other than that are there any other must have addons that I should install from the off

4. Looking through the settings section it seems to be all for 28.2 are there any settings for motorised setups or am I best to let the box search for channels itself.

Sure things will become clearer once I actually start using the box but it's still all a bi bewildering at the moment !

Cheers

Jim

dell_xps
13th March, 2012, 09:40 AM
There is a bouquet for multi Jim, all a bouquet does is put your channels in groups, ie all sport channels in one folder, all movie channels in a movie folder etc etc, very easy to do, honestly, and setting up your other problem is a doddle to, any probs with this PM
, dont ask on the board as its not allowed :-)