PDA

View Full Version : I Dream a Dream, Box

CHA0S
12th March, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hi all.
I think my head is about to explode, I***8217;ve been doing lots of reading and comparing, I***8217;m trying to find the right box for the right price and avoid clones.
So far I***8217;m looking at either DM8000HD or the DM7020HD however the DM7020HD has HDMI while the DM8000HD has DVI, does the DVI on the 8000 output sound? So I can use a DVI to HDMI converter, and do both come with twin sat tuners, HD. Just need confirmation as the word option keeps popping its head up, I know there are other options.
I have seen prices for the 8000 range from 360 to 900, I would pay sub 500 for an 8000 but not for a clone. Does anyone know of a good, trusted supplier?
Or do I look for another open source Linux box?
I can't go down the incy wincy spiderbox pipe, I just like to fiddle too much and have options.

mdt
12th March, 2012, 07:14 PM
Hi all.
I think my head is about to explode, I***8217;ve been doing lots of reading and comparing, I***8217;m trying to find the right box for the right price and avoid clones.
So far I***8217;m looking at either DM8000HD or the DM7020HD however the DM7020HD has HDMI while the DM8000HD has DVI, does the DVI on the 8000 output sound? So I can use a DVI to HDMI converter, and do both come with twin sat tuners, HD. Just need confirmation as the word option keeps popping its head up, I know there are other options.
I have seen prices for the 8000 range from 360 to 900, I would pay sub 500 for an 8000 but not for a clone. Does anyone know of a good, trusted supplier?
Or do I look for another open source Linux box?
I can't go down the incy wincy spiderbox pipe, I just like to fiddle too much and have options.

take a look at the vu+ flagship.. the ultimo. they make the claim of its the best hd reciever around, as for the dm8000 you can use a dvi to hdmi lead which is supplied with the box but as you know the original is nearly ?900 and the clones are ?360 with the chance it could fail although clones are of a good standard now. the dmm7020hd is very new on the market so support is a little thin on the ground not to mention all dmm originals are very overpriced. if i had the choice id probably choose the 7020hd as i like the look of it, regards mdt

the rock
14th March, 2012, 03:00 PM
go with vu box hands down on price to dreambox

extrasmooth
14th March, 2012, 08:10 PM
Unless you predict using all four tuner slots I would not recommend buying a Dreambox 8000.

The Dreambox 8000 is undoubtedly a fabulous receiver but it is very expensive, even more so to fully pimp it out with the DVD Burner, fan and additional tuners.

The VU+Duo or the Xtrend ET9200/9500 are well supported value alternatives to a Dreambox 7020HD or a Dreambox 8000.

The VU+Duo is now a very mature product which is well supported by image teams such as Blackhole and OpenPLI. VU+Duo and Xtrend receivers will run most current plugins without issue.

At present owning a Dreambox does not offer any significant benefits over rival Enigma2 based receivers from VU+ and Xtrend. This situation may change in the future as Dream Multimedia have now closed source on Enigma2 meaning other companies will not be able to easily piggy replicate any developments that Dream Multimedia make on their own receivers.