PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians about

Liteace
13th March, 2012, 08:55 PM
need an electrician to tell me if this 3 phase motor can run on single phase ?

Thanks

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/44003-liteace/albums/scope/5767-img-1344.jpg

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/44003-liteace/albums/scope/5768-img-1360.jpg

Johnner
14th March, 2012, 01:43 AM
Which motor ?

If it's a normal AC 3 Phase,snowball's chance !

Meat-Head
29th March, 2012, 08:35 PM
i sez no choice of star or delta thats it

to reverse swap 2 phases over

Liteace
29th March, 2012, 08:41 PM
i sez no choice of star or delta thats it

to reverse swap 2 phases over

Need loads more info, im a div at everything and a double div when it comes to electric motors

Meat-Head
29th March, 2012, 09:15 PM
bugger it.

gone over my 10,000 post count now, bugger.

a motor draws 3 times the running currant to start.

*THINK* the difference between star and delta is something to do with talk.

*THINK* say you have a water pump you have it one setting, you have a lift lifting fat people you set it the other way.

Ratchet
29th March, 2012, 09:55 PM
you would need a single phase to 3 phase inverter. something like Phase Converter TRANSWAVE Converter Inverter Single to Three Phase | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Phase+Converter+TRANSWAVE+Converter+ Inverter+Single+to+Three+Phase)

Liteace
29th March, 2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks but Im on a rock and they cost a fooooking fortune over here and shipping due to the weight of it will be loads of ?????$$$$$$$ as well + it would be cheaper to buy a new machine

but thanks anyway

Meat-Head
29th March, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks but Im on a rock and they cost a fooooking fortune over here and shipping due to the weight of it will be loads of

if could be bothered to search, pritty sure you did a simular thread before with a lathe.

*THIS MIGHT NOT WORK*

try coupling the left over 3 phase motor from your lathe, to a donkey, or camel, see if it works in reverse as 3 phase genny - max revs of motor 3500 rpm.

OFF TOPIC:-

you had a thread about a generator and an exciter board that fried,, did you fix it?

Liteace
29th March, 2012, 11:29 PM
you had a thread about a generator and an exciter board that fried,, did you fix it?

Nope just another lump of junk thats sitting there doing ~~~~ all, I'll get round to it one day

ckelly10
25th April, 2012, 04:51 PM
What kind of motor is it? I cant see a link or picture or anything.

Hahaha I am like you I have a few projects in my garage but never get round to finishing any of them...always have time to start new ones though :/

abdulazeez605md
25th April, 2012, 05:51 PM
you would need a single phase to 3 phase

Liteace
25th April, 2012, 06:54 PM
you would need a single phase to 3 phase

Has this not been said in this thread already by Ratchet

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f183/any-electricians-about-260721/#post1505367

????????????????????

Meat-Head
25th April, 2012, 09:23 PM
Elcome to DK the worlds best website. perhaps you should edit that link out your post.

Mainly because at first thoght it said on the link "anob electrical.co.uk"

tempo123
28th April, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hi, if you have a 3phases electric motor and you want feed him on a single phase you need to add a capacitor, but you can't get the same performance (if it is a 3kW motor 3phase and you feed him with single phase it will get you only about half 1.5kW) and you also need to consider the voltage that the motor has been designed. There was a formula for calculating the value of the capacitor but can't really remember, better if you google something like capacitors for running a 3phase motor on a single phase. I hope this will help you

Meat-Head
28th April, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hi, if you have a 3phases electric motor and you want feed him on a single phase you need to add a capacitor, but you can't get the same performance

Yes DEFFO google this, there is a rumor going around about this, - too lasy to look if i mentioned this before or not, but rumor has it, you only do the capacitor under certain cirmcunstances, as can damage the motor

1) Some kind of 'emergency' situation
2) You don't like the person who owns the motor.

MIGHT BE WRONG< BUT carefull the motor don't run backwards off load.

tempo123
28th April, 2012, 08:17 PM
I agree that it is not ideal to run a 3phases motor on a single phase,efficienty probably halved, but it is possible and safe- You really need to make sure that you tick all the boxes about the new condition of work. Voltage, correct load, correct capacitor and correct spinning rotation. Most common ac motors are cage rotors so you probably have to connect the stator windings on a star configuration and by deciding which way of spinning you need to connect conseguently the live/neutral of your mains and the capacitor between live and the third phase. Please take these informations with a pinch of salt because I could be wrong(Probably I am totally wrong!), if I was you I will find some old college books and do some reading to find a wiring diagram that will help during wiring.