PDA

View Full Version : How to configure openvpn?

bokkie
15th March, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi all. I want to try to get the openvpn going on my Vu+ Duo clone in Blackhole 1.7.2, but am not sure how.
Can anyone help me to configure this, and does it actually work?
Anyone out there that has it up and running and can recommend a vpn as well?
I have read that OpenVpn is quite processor hungry, so not sure how it will perform.
Any help?
Thanks all

digicon
15th March, 2012, 01:17 PM
First off you need to read this about configuring your VPN server
http://openmaniak.com/openvpn.php

Then alter the files in etc/openvpn and activate the service by pressing blue button and blue again and go to vpn panel.

That is all i know i have never used it.

Regards

lincsat
15th March, 2012, 02:43 PM
You may also need to activate TUN mode in kernel modules manager

TheCoder
15th March, 2012, 10:35 PM
The configuration depends on how your going to use it !

If your going to be running a server then the configuation is somewhat more difficult as you have a lot more choices available as to how it will work. Unfortunately, most of those choices are best made with detailed knowledge of particular circumstances.

For a client, it should be fairly simple as most reputable servers will give you either a pre-configured config file or at the very least a sample config file compatible with the options they use.

bokkie
16th March, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'll just be using it as a client thanks. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, hopefully over the weekend.
still not to sure of what has to go where though.

TheCoder
16th March, 2012, 11:16 PM
Once you install it there should really only be the config file to worry about. Where that goes will depend somewhat on the version of OpenVPN but the install will usually install a dummy config file somewhere so just do a search for any file with openvpn in its filename.

Once you find the dummy file then you'll either need to replace it with one supplied by your vpn service provider or modify the dummy file to include most of the options from that file. You should always be given some form of configuration by the vpn supplier. Without being given a suitable config you could literally spend days pfaffing around trying to stumble on a working configuration - there are thousands of different configurations of protocols and encryptions possible. Even basic things such as whether you use TCP or UDP connections and the port numbers must be correctly selected.