PDA

View Full Version : HDD Initialization error

JimboM
19th March, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'm trying to install a HDD into my Duo and it's not going too well http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/smilies/frown1.gif

From the off can I say that this is a Maxtor IDE drive and I'm using a IDE/SATA convertor so may be flogging a dead horse but I have seen other posts where people of got these things to work

The box recognises that a HDD is fitted but when I try to initalise the disc nothing appears to happen and if I then exit back out to the main Vix screen there is an error log the first few lines of which are

Initializing storage device
Error:[Failure instance:Traceback:<type 'exceptions.IOError'>:[Errno 5]
Input/output error
/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py.504__bootstrap

(is there anyway I can cut and paste this log here ?)

I'm guessing this is because of the setup I explained above but thought I'd ask anyway just to make sure

Cheers

Jim
ps using the Vix 2.3 image

dell_xps
19th March, 2012, 10:33 PM
Are there any jumpers in the hard drive Jim ?, try taking it out if so.
Just a wild guess m8, only ever used sata hard drives in the Vu+ & Ultimo.
Also is the hard drive formatted ?, if so is it fat 32 or ntfs, if ntfs try fat 32, then try to intialize it.

JimboM
20th March, 2012, 09:06 AM
OK think I've sussed this one. Whipped the HDD out, connected it up to my PC and realised that the drive was completely full and had 'Write Protect' enabled (drive had previously been used in my Sky+ box which must have done this) Managed to switch the write protect off and then formated the disk as FAT32 - took 2.5 hrs !!
Stuck the HDD back into the Duo and things looked better but now got a timeout error when trying to initialise, switched the jumpers from master to cable select (CS) and it now looks like it's working as it should or at least I think it is!
Cheers
Jim

potrobber
20th March, 2012, 02:32 PM
jimbo

i have used 5 500g sky plus harddrives in clone duos and just fitted and initialise and all has been well all work without fault