PDA

View Full Version : motorised dish help.

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 07:22 AM
Good morning everyone.
I had an 80 cm motorised dish and a vu+ duo installed a couple weeks ago, but haven't had time to test it out until last night.
I seem to get 13e, 19.2e and 9e with a good mid 80s signal.
When I tried 16e the signal bar on the channel that shows up when you press the ok button only showed 30%, same on 0.8w.
I also couldn't get anything on 39e which according to the dish size guide I only need a 60cm dish for.
I am a total newbie so not really sure of what I am doing.
Is it because the channels I tried are on not receivable here in the uk?
Are there any fta channels I should try on different sats to test the dish?
Can anyone help a newb out?
Thanks all.

firestorm
20th March, 2012, 07:35 AM
It sounds like your ark is out.If you imagine the dish has to follow the earth curve in order to pick up sats.your cure seems to be lower at one end east or west but sound to me like its low on the east side.16e can be one of the weeker sat to pick up you may be on a week transponder or your ark being out.Anthor though is your dish mounted 100% vertical?
The best FTA channel to set up your dish is bbc on 0.8w

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 08:38 AM
Thx firestorm. I'm not really sure if it's 100% vertical as i had it installed and can't really get to the dish.
So if i try bbc on 0.8w i should pick it up no problems if it's set up correctly?
Is there anything on the other end of the arc i could try? Maybe something on 39e and 16e?
What confuses me though, is that 9e is mid 80's, so is 19e. 16e is slap in between them and isn't picking anything up!

shankill2012
20th March, 2012, 08:59 AM
There is a list on the forum of the strongest transponders and the channels to use when searching for satellites , on 39 east - THE VOICE 12524 h 30000,

mdt
20th March, 2012, 09:01 AM
didnt the installer check the arc for you?... surely he should have checked 42e/39e/28e/23e/19e/16e/13e/9e/7e/5e/1w/5w/15w and 30w to make sure it was following the arc properly. although your dish is the minimum for a motorised dish, dependent on your location/l.o.s it should be getting most txp,s on these birds... get him back and tell him to do a proper job, regards mdt

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks shankill, i spotted it just after i did my last post. I'll go through them tonight. I assume they're all fta?

didnt the installer check the arc for you?... surely he should have checked 42e/39e/28e/23e/19e/16e/13e/9e/7e/5e/1w/5w/15w and 30w to make sure it was following the arc properly. although your dish is the minimum for a motorised dish, dependent on your location/l.o.s it should be getting most txp,s on these birds... get him back and tell him to do a proper job, regards mdt

He had a mini telly and a stb with him, so i guess he did it whilst he was up there.
TBH, i think he was just glad to be out of there. He was struggling for about an hour to get channels to scan on my vu+, insisting the box was duff.
Whilst he was packing up, being an engineer,I tried the cure all.switch it off and then switch it back on.
Hey presto, it worked!
Think he was a bit put out.

andymc1s
20th March, 2012, 10:33 AM
when you turn yor dish to 0.8w or 16e when you select a channel are the channel names grey or white. ?

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 11:21 AM
when you turn yor dish to 0.8w or 16e when you select a channel are the channel names grey or white. ?

Sorry, i really can't remember. Is white fta and grey encrypted?
I'll Have a look when i get home thanks.

digicon
20th March, 2012, 11:55 AM
Depending on your image on the Duo instead of scanning the channels manually why dont you either A: download a premade set Catseyes is very good or B: transfer a set via dreamset or dreamboxedit

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 12:00 PM
Depending on your image on the Duo instead of scanning the channels manually why dont you either A: download a premade set Catseyes is very good or B: transfer a set via dreamset or dreamboxedit

Thanks. I have blackhole 1.7.2 running and i have transferred catseyes bouquet.
It's just knowing whether i'm having trouble with signal because of a bad install, or whether the channels i was trying can't be opened in the uk with an 80cm dish.

digicon
20th March, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I have blackhole 1.7.2 running and i have transferred catseyes bouquet.
It's just knowing whether i'm having trouble with signal because of a bad install, or whether the channels i was trying can't be opened in the uk with an 80cm dish.

As MDT said above you should be able to get all of those sats he mentioned and a few others dependant of course on make amd quality of dish and the same for the LNB.

You will know if you can pick certain TP's up if you dont get the Tune Failed message or 0% on SNR bar, also check the beam maps on Lyngsat

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 12:23 PM
As MDT said above you should be able to get all of those sats he mentioned and a few others dependant of course on make amd quality of dish and the same for the LNB.

You will know if you can pick certain TP's up if you dont get the Tune Failed message or 0% on SNR bar, also check the beam maps on Lyngsat
The dish is an iss80 and an inverto black ultra lnb.
I have a clear line of sight from about 42e to 30w.
So if it says snr 0%, is that transponder i can't receive?
I'll have a look when i get home.
all this transponder and beam business is all new to me.
Doesn't catseyes bouquets only have the channels we can receive in the uk?

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 12:30 PM
need to know if you are using usals or diseqc v1.2 to operate this motor

if its usals , then make sure your location has been put in correctly into this new catseye list

if its diseqc v1.2 you will have to manually find and store each satellite individually so that the motor knows where they are

catseye is in the uk so will have a predominantly uk feel , BUT the point here is that it may not be set up for usals or diseqc and in any case you have to put your location into it for usals if you are using usals as he may be in john o groats and you in lands end !

digicon
20th March, 2012, 12:41 PM
The Dish is OK not great but the LNB should make up for any shortfalls, as ramjet says is it set up for Diseqc or Usals, any installer worth his salt would set the dish up and fine tune for Usals rather than Diseqc thats the Lazy option.

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 12:52 PM
It is set up on usals. I saw him enter long/lay so i know thats been done.
as for entering location in the catseye list, huh?
Didn't realise i had to do that.
i just edited it in db edit and sent it over.
Do i have to enter my location in the list?

portbhoy
20th March, 2012, 01:00 PM
No just check with dishpointer that he entered them correctly, select bbc world news from your channel list if it doesnt hit it bang on go into your positioner setup menu in there you can fine tune the dish east and west try 10 taps east then 20 west to see if the signal climbs. If it does your dish is out and you can either manually enter the locations and save one at a time or get the guy back out.

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 01:09 PM

if he set the location in usals and you have overwritten that channel list with a new one by catseye then I would think you will have to enter the usals once more, as you have overwritten the settings he inputted and you havent checked to ensure they are what they should be

any time you make changes it is likely that you will have to alter settings to correct them according to your location

I know on my boxes I have to do this and especially when the new settings are set to 0.0 lat and 0.0 long which they may well be since you input that new catseyes list

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 01:10 PM
Bbc world service on thor?
do i enter long/lat on thor 0.8w?
i'll have a play later, see if i can suss it.
As always time, wife and kids tend to get in the way though.

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 01:11 PM
Bbc world service on thor?
do i enter long/lat on thor 0.8w?
i'll have a play later, see if i can suss it.
As always time, wife and kids tend to get in the way though.

long and lat is for your location , thor is on 0.8w and over the equator and never changes

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 01:21 PM
long and lat is for your location , thor is on 0.8w and over the equator and never changes
Yeah sorry. Thought i read somewhere that the dish has to be at 0? when entering long/lat.

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah sorry. Thought i read somewhere that the dish has to be at 0? when entering long/lat.

ideally, for the uk , you set the dish on 0.8w , then enter your location and save, then you test it like portboy said in order to ensure your dish and motor are aligned onto 0.8w thor correctly , then usals works out where all the other satellites are in relation to thor

if the installer didnt do this then the dish and motor may be out and if its way out it will cause you problems

if he set it correctly onto the arc from 0.8w with his own stb on your motor and locked it up then its your settings that are incorrect on your box if you are using usals

dick b
20th March, 2012, 02:07 PM

see ramjets post above it took me too long answering:fisheye:
but here is a list of current strong TPs

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 02:52 PM
Will have a go later. But all this is still new to me so i'll no doubt be back later, seeking more advice.

digicon
20th March, 2012, 04:05 PM

No you only need to enter your USALS info into the duo and thats it, if it has been aligned correctly then you should get most sats from 42? east to 30? west and more if you have a clear line of sight.

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 07:06 PM
Right, so I think I've figured it. He had completely the incorrect long/lat in there.
I changed it and tried to send dish to zero but wouldn't play ball. Just selected bbc world on 0.8w instead and off it went.

Here are my results going through the arc. See what you make.

30w al jazeera english:74%
15w bbc persian :61%
5w 11.961v2000 :21% (no picture)
0.8w bbc world :95%
4.8e krt :84%
7e bbc persia :61%
9e cctv4 :83%
13e rit tv :86%
16e vision plus :37% (pixelating)
19.2e arte :89%
23.5e ocko :86%
39e skat tv :67%
42e cnn turk :91%

Does it look good?

firestorm
20th March, 2012, 07:20 PM
Thats about as good as your going to get with a 80cm dish though you should get freeview on 28e. Dont worry about the west sats has there is not alot on them only 30w as got some decent stuff on it.

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 07:27 PM
Is there any way I can improve 16e? without getting a bigger dish of course.
Can't believe the installer put the wrong long/lat in. ans it wasn't even close!

firestorm
20th March, 2012, 07:40 PM
With out getting the ladders out and a meter and doing a little tweaking ie tillting your dish and checking the scew on your LNB, but the dish seems to be pretty much spot on with the signals your picking up . There is not a lot you can do for 16e from the ground and tweaking may bugger up your other sats

digicon
20th March, 2012, 07:59 PM
What is your level on Tringsport 1 with the Black Ultra on an 80 you should be aiming at around 65-70% snr on the duo level meter, If you do adjust anything dont touch the LNB Skew is applied when your dish moves around the ARC altering it from its current setting will drop signal on other sats.

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 08:19 PM
Right, so I think I've figured it. He had completely the incorrect long/lat in there.
I changed it and tried to send dish to zero but wouldn't play ball. Just selected bbc world on 0.8w instead and off it went.

Here are my results going through the arc. See what you make.

30w al jazeera english:74%
15w bbc persian :61%
5w 11.961v2000 :21% (no picture)
0.8w bbc world :95%
4.8e krt :84%
7e bbc persia :61%
9e cctv4 :83%
13e rit tv :86%
16e vision plus :37% (pixelating)
19.2e arte :89%
23.5e ocko :86%
39e skat tv :67%
42e cnn turk :91%

Does it look good?

a couple of pointers here

1) the installers job is to sort out the dish and motor, not your vu+, and you said he did the job with his own box. you are responsible for your vu+

2) you also admitted you installed catseyes list and therefore I believed you had overwritten what was there before which is why I advised you to sort out your usals position, again that is your job to do especially if you are installing new channel lists

3) the strongest transponders list isnt always up to date

for 5.0w try gcpe1 on 12543H 27500 and TMC on 11554V 29950 and france 2 , 2 and 4 on 11591V 20000

4) for 16e I would have thought you should be over 70%

5) for 7.0e try rts1 on 10721H 22000

septicsmurf
20th March, 2012, 08:52 PM
a couple of pointers here

1) the installers job is to sort out the dish and motor, not your vu+, and you said he did the job with his own box. you are responsible for your vu+

2) you also admitted you installed catseyes list and therefore I believed you had overwritten what was there before which is why I advised you to sort out your usals position, again that is your job to do especially if you are installing new channel lists

3) the strongest transponders list isnt always up to date

for 5.0w try gcpe1 on 12543H 27500 and TMC on 11554V 29950 and france 2 , 2 and 4 on 11591V 20000

4) for 16e I would have thought you should be over 70%

5) for 7.0e try rts1 on 10721H 22000

Part of the quote was to get my stb up and running. This is part of the service they advertise on their website so it should have been set up properly

The catseye list was installed before he did the dish install. I also know what he put in for long/lat as I was there whilst he was doing it and found it funny that the longitude was 0.8 west, the same figure as the sat we were on. So he definateley put the wrong figures in!

I still only get 33% on tring sport1. Not really into football anyway, I'm more of a rugby man which i don't think is really shown in tring.
Thanks guys.

ramjet
20th March, 2012, 09:15 PM
Part of the quote was to get my stb up and running. This is part of the service they advertise on their website so it should have been set up properly

The catseye list was installed before he did the dish install. I also know what he put in for long/lat as I was there whilst he was doing it and found it funny that the longitude was 0.8 west, the same figure as the sat we were on. So he definateley put the wrong figures in!

I still only get 33% on tring sport1. Not really into football anyway, I'm more of a rugby man which i don't think is really shown in tring.
Thanks guys.

well , unless you are 1 west of london then he was at fault , in which case your dish may be out by one or more degrees and thet means moving the motor slightly left or slightly eight until its spot on

there are films and all sorts on 16e , much more than football anyway , like kids channels , music channels etc

firestorm
20th March, 2012, 09:28 PM
well , unless you are 1 west of london then he was at fault , in which case your dish may be out by one or more degrees and thet means moving the motor slightly left or slightly eight until its spot on

there are films and all sorts on 16e , much more than football anyway , like kids channels , music channels etc

Dont forget about the Albanian Folk channel on tring some great singing dancing on there

portbhoy
20th March, 2012, 09:34 PM
When on 16e on sports 1 goto menu>setup>Service searching>Positioner setup scroll down to positioner fine movements and use the yellow button a few presses see if the snr goes up, then try with the green button remembering to go back with the green as many times as you pressed the yellow first to get back to where you originally started. If it goes up in either direction the dish aint right and he needs to look at it again, sounds a bit heath robinson for a proto use an stb and a small tv????

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your help in getting that sorted.
But i have another problem now.
A few times, when i've selected a channel on a different satellite, the flashing satellite comes up, but just stays flashing. The selected channel doesn't come up, and even if i select a channel on a different satellite, i still just get the flashing satellite.
The only thing that seems to get rid of it is restarting the stb.
when i restart, the flashing saellite comes up for a few seconds then i get the selected channel.
Any ideas?

portbhoy
21st March, 2012, 08:36 AM
the Vu can be a bit of a pain sometimes locking onto a channel I generally just use the channel up and down and it comes back. Although sometimes it's just my impatience because the motor my Vu is connected to is a bit slower than the one my Dreams connected to. Sometimes patience is a virtue, or you could try different images or scans rather than settings files see if your results get any better

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 09:31 AM
the Vu can be a bit of a pain sometimes locking onto a channel I generally just use the channel up and down and it comes back. Although sometimes it's just my impatience because the motor my Vu is connected to is a bit slower than the one my Dreams connected to. Sometimes patience is a virtue, or you could try different images or scans rather than settings files see if your results get any better
I tried channel up and down as well, but still just the same flashing satellite.
I know it's not just me being impatient as i waited over a minute for it to move from 9e to 13e. If i check signal it shows 0%.
Not sure if that means it's still parked on the other sat or stopped in between?
When i restart and select the channel again it then flashes for a few seconds and the channel comes on.
Is the stb battling to move the dish? Can't be, can it?

digicon
21st March, 2012, 11:15 AM
@septicsmurf

Mate you really do need to call the installer back your equipment is not set up correctly full stop.

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 01:15 PM
Do you reckon that if he used those incorrect coordinates when
Setting the dish up it might all be a little bit out? I can't understand why i pick up signal in most sats except 5w and 16e.
Are these 2 slightly weaker than the other ones i checked?
Is the only reason i'm getting anything on the other sats at all down to the fact the dish is only slightly out but they have a strong signal?
Reckon ill try doing what portbhoy recommended a few posts back.

Which signal indicator should i be looking at. The one that comes.up in bar on the channel when you hit ok button twice, or the one in the menu?

digicon
21st March, 2012, 01:21 PM
Do you reckon that if he used those incorrect coordinates when
Setting the dish up it might all be a little bit out? I can't understand why i pick up signal in most sats except 5w and 16e.
Are these 2 slightly weaker than the other ones i checked?
Is the only reason i'm getting anything on the other sats at all down to the fact the dish is only slightly out but they have a strong signal?
Reckon ill try doing what portbhoy recommended a few posts back.

Which signal indicator should i be looking at. The one that comes.up in bar on the channel when you hit ok button twice, or the one in the menu?

Mate why the hell are you pissing about trying to sort out an install that was supposedly done by a pro, You paid for a service and you even said yourself that service included setting it up on your receiver something that has not been done.

Just curious where abouts are you by the way.

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm near guildford, and the installer is in kent. That is why i don't want to call him back out if possible.
And if it is the receiver, and not the dish then i have to pay a call out charge.
I want to be 100% sure it's down to his setup before calling him back.
the thing that's thrown me is this new problem of the.flashing satellte.
it doesn't happen everytime, and when it has a restart cures it.

digicon
21st March, 2012, 02:02 PM
The flashing satellite is normal it only does this if A: the satellite you have chosen cannot be received or B: the TP you chose on that satellite can also not be received.

So its more than likely both the Sat and TP's footprint are not receivable from your location, This is not a fault of the Box and does not need to be restarted every time.

Also Most of the recent channel lists you can download and put on your box will be near enough bang up to date as the TP frequency's are gathered from either Kingofsat, Lyngsat or flysat and then added via DBedit, Sometimes the odd frequency may have changed and you might have to rescan that TP again for it to become active.

You already said in a previous post that the installer would set up the dish/motor to your receiver something he has not done which entitles you to call him back FOC and sort it out.

When i go to a job i dont take a spare reciever and setup a motorised system on my box i use the customers and set it up on there equipment, I mean the guy only needs to look on dishpointer and get your LON and LAT settings write them down and enter them in the Duo and fine tune the dish for you its not rocket science.

This Guy sounds a real cowboy he sets up your system on his receiver which probably still had his own settings left in then cannot be bothered to check with your receiver which you state is part of the service and then he charges a callout fee to rectify a problem he has caused Wonderful.

You have 3 choices either bite the bullet and get him back citing the fact the job was not done in the first place or do it yourself and read some guides or get someone out who knows what the F@*k he's doing.

andy91
21st March, 2012, 02:07 PM
The flashing sat always comes up when you select another sat.
You can take this off if you like in advanced settings.
How have you set it up with usals or none usals?

Andy.

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 02:47 PM
The flashing sat always comes up when you select another sat.
You can take this off if you like in advanced settings.
How have you set it up with usals or none usals?

Andy.

Yes thanks. I know that it always comes up when changing sats. Trouble is when it's still flashing a minute later when only moving from 9e to 13e.
i'm going to try determine tonight if it's because the dish is out and can't find signal.
I'm going to stick it on tring which i only get 37% snr, move it left and right to see if signal improves.
If it does that shows it's not installed correctly.

septicsmurf
21st March, 2012, 02:48 PM
And it's on usals.

RM6
25th June, 2012, 01:41 PM
Did this ever get sorted?

I have something similar with the flashing icon but no signal. When I go to sat finder though, it locks onto them all.

Very frustrating

septicsmurf
25th June, 2012, 07:22 PM
Did this ever get sorted?

I have something similar with the flashing icon but no signal. When I go to sat finder though, it locks onto them all.

Very frustrating

No mate, never got it sorted. I've had a replacement vu+ duo clone sent out, this one being a version 2.
It is better but still get problems.
No idea what causes it.

RM6
25th June, 2012, 09:34 PM
No mate, never got it sorted. I've had a replacement vu+ duo clone sent out, this one being a version 2.
It is better but still get problems.
No idea what causes it.

In that it sometimes picks up and sometimes doesn't?

That's the problem I've had, but like I said in another thread, I think it's a risk that you run with a clone

septicsmurf
26th June, 2012, 06:43 AM
Same as you. If you change channels to a different sat sometimes just flashing satellite comes up but no picture.
If you go into sat finder it goes to the required satellite then it's all fine from there.
Rather annoying.

digicon
27th June, 2012, 12:53 AM
Here's a tip which ever satellite your on make a note of the TP frequency ie: Horizontal or Vertical and then if your watching a Horizontal polarised channel when choosing a channel on another satellite try choosing a similar TP with a Horizontal polarity.

This should help with the motor as first your receiver does not have to send the 22khz tone to switch between a H or V channel and then power the dish, you may notice a speed increase also when keeping to the same polarity.

Heres a chart to help you as you not only have H and V but Low and high bands as well.

Supply Voltage Supply Tone LO Frequency Polarization Received Frequency Band Received IF Range Used
13 V 0 kHz 9.75 GHz Vertical Low (10.70-11.70 GHz) 950-1950 MHz
18 V 0 kHz 9.75 GHz Horizontal Low (10.70-11.70 GHz) 950-1950 MHz
13 V 22 kHz 10.60 GHz Vertical High (11.70-12.75 GHz) 1100-2150 MHz
18 V 22 kHz 10.60 GHz Horizontal High (11.70-12.75 GHz) 1100-2150 MHz