PDA

View Full Version : Car maintance book

langerlad
18th January, 2009, 04:32 PM
I want to start doing some minor maintainance on my car rather than get fleeced by a Garage.

Any one recommend a good book available which would cover the basics (oil, filters, etc)?

thanks

gordy230
18th January, 2009, 05:13 PM
I want to start doing some minor maintainance on my car rather than get fleeced by a Garage.

Any one recommend a good book available which would cover the basics (oil, filters, etc)?

thanks hayens manual do m8

gmb45
18th January, 2009, 06:16 PM

thankstry the library mate loads of car maintainance books if they dont have it they will get it

cactikid
18th January, 2009, 07:53 PM
most important is correct oil in engine different specs,and always think safety first if u are going in underneath car use car axle stands and choc wheel.also dispose of used oil filter and engine correctly.
i have also used haynes manuals handy pictures for reference.

cmichtobo
18th January, 2009, 10:09 PM
if you are interested, i have loads of ebooks for cars inc self repair, diagnosis, how to read faultcodes etc ,a perfect intro to the motor trade

smirnoff_rules
18th January, 2009, 10:29 PM
if you are interested, i have loads of ebooks for cars inc self repair, diagnosis, how to read faultcodes etc ,a perfect intro to the motor trade

your welcome to post them m8

gmb45
28th January, 2009, 09:21 AM
if you are planning getting an older car 3 things that are a must to keep it running well are 1-all ways get a new cam belt fitted if it breaks your car will cost a fortune to repair and might not be worth the cost ( repair bill = 4-?500 ) a cam belt will last 70,000 if you do long runs only,half that if you do mainly short stop start runs 2-change oil at least twice a year 3-get valve settings done it improves economy and performance.

cactikid
29th January, 2009, 01:46 AM
if you are planning getting an older car 3 things that are a must to keep it running well are 1-all ways get a new cam belt fitted if it breaks your car will cost a fortune to repair and might not be worth the cost ( repair bill = 4-?500 ) a cam belt will last 70,000 if you do long runs only,half that if you do mainly short stop start runs 2-change oil at least twice a year 3-get valve settings done it improves economy and performance.

on some cars might even halve that mileage and some due to rubber deteration every 4 years=buy a good car:)

gmb45
29th January, 2009, 04:55 AM
on some cars might even halve that mileage and some due to rubber deteration every 4 years=buy a good car:)yeh i said half the milage depending on your driving habbits and some people can only afford an old car.