PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Clone Update

Shamonee
26th March, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi all

been doing some reading and im looking at getting a Vu+ Duo clone

Looking at gathering information before i take the plunge

I was just wondering for updating to the latest images you need to update the Kernel via serial port on computer (not usb-to serial converter)

Ok thats clear but i only have a laptop and its hasnt got a serial port i was just wondering if anyone has tried a Serial Card

If that wont work i guess i will just have to use a pre dec 2011 image? is that correct

Cheers

I started off with a dm500s then went to an openbox s9

no problems but im looking for a better EPG and added things like being able to view on an Ipad, dual tuner and also being able to stream out of the house

benny/9
26th March, 2012, 01:44 PM
from what iv'e read on another forum
the vu makers say they have tried every
converter on the market and the box will
only update from a computer with a fixed
9 pin com port, and i have tried three different
usb to serial converters, none worked. i think
it's something to do with the rs232 board you have
to use in line with the null modem cable. this board
has no components on it it's just a circuit panel that
changes the pins used in this update process,
fo me this is the only down side to these boxes
now computers dont have fixed comports

digicon
28th March, 2012, 07:43 PM
Hi all

been doing some reading and im looking at getting a Vu+ Duo clone

Looking at gathering information before i take the plunge

I was just wondering for updating to the latest images you need to update the Kernel via serial port on computer (not usb-to serial converter)

Ok thats clear but i only have a laptop and its hasnt got a serial port i was just wondering if anyone has tried a Serial Card

If that wont work i guess i will just have to use a pre dec 2011 image? is that correct

Cheers

I started off with a dm500s then went to an openbox s9

no problems but im looking for a better EPG and added things like being able to view on an Ipad, dual tuner and also being able to stream out of the house

My advice would be before you purchase ask who ever you are considering purchasing from if the Duo has already been updated, As far as i am aware all the recent ones now have a V2.0 sticker on them meaning the unit already has had the latest kernel Flashed.

freck
1st April, 2012, 07:09 PM
Your right there digicon,newer clones wil have the updated kernal pre flashed so all youll need to do is choose your image....anyone will do once the latest kernal is on.
Also if you buy a clone box youll get the serial converter serial mini board adapter with the box.
Got one with my clone solo and was wondering wtf it was for a while but I used BH 1.6.5 on the receiver which is clone safe.
To be on the safe side just ask your supplier if it has the latest kernal on.
Freck

Shamonee
1st April, 2012, 07:17 PM
cheers guys

aspley seems cheap but they never answer my question. but I've read they are like that but the guys fine if you go into the shop, yet huddersfield isn't local to me. has anyone bought one from there?

dell_xps
1st April, 2012, 07:30 PM
The guy who owns the shop is on here, one of the threads does mention who he is.
If you look back someone bought one that was not working from him, sure the guy was ok refunding him etc.
HTH

linuxsat
2nd April, 2012, 05:54 PM
Can you please read FAQ section on my website if you ask me question already in FAQ i then dont answer sorry.

potrobber
2nd April, 2012, 10:42 PM
i have had some clones from china and also 4 or 5 from aspley and cant fault the guy as some on here said to stay clear of him

i will always give some one a try as in my book there is always 3 sides to every story

and his offer of free postage was great for me in n ireland and i will be getting more from him very soon

jordie
3rd April, 2012, 05:17 PM
i also bought from aspey and had no problems

freck
3rd April, 2012, 06:03 PM
Bough from aspley aswell,found the images onsite n all.
That was when only a few clone images were available.....all images will work on the clones now tho.
Will buy again from him.
Freck

digicon
3rd April, 2012, 06:17 PM
@Freck

There aren't any clone images for the Clone Duo's this is how rumours spread and people are misinformed.

Once again the only thing that is patched on the Clone Duo is the Kernel Update and nothing else so you can use any image from any site on a clone duo you dont have to get them from 1 site only.

Even without the kernel patch the Clone Duo will still take any image Pre-Dating Dec 2011.

Just wanted to clear that up.

freck
3rd April, 2012, 10:09 PM
@Freck

There aren't any clone images for the Clone Duo's this is how rumours spread and people are misinformed.

Once again the only thing that is patched on the Clone Duo is the Kernel Update and nothing else so you can use any image from any site on a clone duo you dont have to get them from 1 site only.

Even without the kernel patch the Clone Duo will still take any image Pre-Dating Dec 2011.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Yeah your right there...my bad:giveup:
Update kernal and your good to go...older images were before the kernal update release and worked.
Once your kernal is updated/patched your good to go.
Freck