PDA

View Full Version : Vix 2.3 problems

GAH
26th March, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Just changed from a (genuine) DM800 to a Vu Duo and installed Vix 2.3 with the 3.1.1. kernel. It looks a great image, but I can't get it to run properly. I've now switched to Blackhole 1.7.2. as it runs much better, but I really want to run Vix as the EPG is so much better. I've done everything I can but the Vix image constantly locks up for no reason, which means a re-start. I've initialized my USB and HDD using the Vix image, and I've set uo the EPG correctly, but I still get lock-ups. However, the Blackhole image runs perfectly. Is anyone else having similar problems with Vix and just accepting it, or is it just me?

GAH

Lewiscc
26th March, 2012, 07:34 PM
the vix image with the new 3.1.1 kernel seems to have a fair few issues .... but you can still run vix ok gah ... just use vix 2.3.133 (works great) ... and DON'T do an online update or it will reload the new kernel.... hopefully the next vix image will have ironed out the kernel problems .

GAH
26th March, 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi Lewiscc,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the case, but where can I download it fom? The megaupload link on here no longer works!

Cheers,
GAH

dell_xps
26th March, 2012, 08:32 PM
Dont use rytec epg as it gives you the problems you describe,
use the open epg, Vu 2.3 image runs smooth as m8, what other
plugins do you have installed ?

GAH
26th March, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hi Dell_xps,

Thanks for the reply

I didn't install any plugins at all. I have a 160Bg HDD which seems fine, I have a 2Gb USB for my picons and a swap file, and I installed the Vu version of CCcam 2.1.3. I didn;t touch the PTS settings at all. I set up the epg EXACTLY as described on the official Vix site and I used Open not RyTec. The box locked up several times and left me with a frozen picture. I left the box on Sd and HD channels as well as encrypted and FTA channels. I would come home from work or get up in the morning and find it like this. It also locked up several times while I was sitting watching a program. When it did lock up I usually had to restart the box twice as the first restart resulted in missing characters on the VFD display or no response from the remote. The box is not a clone and works flawlessly with Blackhole 1.7.2.

I have now managed to download Vix 2.3 133 so will try that first before I do anything else.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

GAH

dell_xps
26th March, 2012, 10:38 PM
Try 2.1.1 m8, sure that version is dodgy ?

GAH
27th March, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Dell_xps,

Downloaded 2.3 133 and it worked fine, but the picture quality is not as good as the later version with the new kernel. Anyway, I decided to give the version with the 3.1.1. kernel another go, and it locked up during the install wizard! That's before I've done anything! I'm persevering with it, so first of all I'll run it without CCcam installed and without seting up the EPG.

GAH

dell_xps
27th March, 2012, 12:53 PM
2.1.1 cam version m8, not Vix image :-)

GAH
27th March, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi Dell_xps,

Thanks for the reply.

I knew you meant CCcam and not Vix! Anyway, up and running with CCam 2.1.1. and already locked up once! Having read up a bit, not sure if my problem might be related to my USB stick (it's a known issue), although so far I haven't switched on the EPG. Anyway, onwards and upwards!

GAH

cactikid
27th March, 2012, 09:27 PM
when i got my duo i got a usb stick thrown in and never used it,when i got the solo i went to use that usb and it would not work,so maybe try another good usb to see if it clears the problem,maybe we should ask what working ones are recommended.

GAH
27th March, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hi cactikid,

The problems seems to be a bug in the 3.1.1 kernel (found the info on another site). The fix at the moment is to set your HDD to NEVER go into standby, as certain USB stciks are being sent into standby (and causing problems) at the same time as the HDD. I'm thinking that could be my problem, so I've changed my HDD settings and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

GAH

cactikid
27th March, 2012, 09:39 PM
i should have added the stick was only to be used for flashing the solo nothing else.

bokkie
27th March, 2012, 10:03 PM
I just flashed my clone duo with vix 2.3.133 and am well impressed.
Had blackhole 1.7.2 before and was struggling to get to grips with it.
Vix 2.3 on the other hand, excellent. Epg is so much better and the whole layout feels much more user friendly and less in your face.
Love it!

03ahmads
28th March, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hi GAH, seen your having problems with the latest Vix image, so was I not too long ago, it left me seriously frustrated with the vu duo just constantly freezing and rebooting several times daily. However, after having followed the steps mentioned on the official Vix site I can honestly say it has been working absolutely flawlessly for the last fortnight. No crashes whatsoever. It doesn't have anything to do with the rytec epg as that is the only one I have ever used. It probably is to do with your usb or another small configuration. I also store picons on my usb drive, I now also store the epg and have permanent timeshift for 1hr running all on my 16gb SanDisk usb. Still no issues whatsoever. My advice to you would be as follows:
1. Flash the receiver with the latest bootloader first (Did you do this before flashing the image? )
2. Remove usb, turn off receiver from switch, delete bootloader file on usb & replace with image file. Flash.
3. Before doing anything else do an online update (blue button> vix>online update)
4. Update to the latest vu duo dvb modules which I believe are 28-2. FIRST check in the setup menu under the 'about' heading to see the date of the drivers, the software update may have updated to the latest version if not update them manually, you will have to find the file, it can be found on this site, for some reason for the vu duo the file is not named vu duo it's named 'bm750' instead. For other versions of Vu receivers it's named e.g Solo, Uno etc. Get the bm750 28-2 file, extract and you'll be left with 3 files. Replace the files in lib>modules>extra>3.1.1 with the new files. However backup the original files just in case. Restart the receiver, it may take an extra couple of minutes to restart due to updating the modules, don't worry just be patient.
5. Insert your usb and initialise it, then go into vix menu and mount manager, change the location to mount/usb then restart your receiver.
6. Now you can put picons onto the usb.
7. Under the epg menu CHANGE the epg location from flash to either hdd or usb, whatever you prefer.
8. Now you can add bouquets and update the epg, manual scan isn't necessary, waste of time. Just update with the latest bouquets which can be found on this site under the dm800hd heading.
8. Get only the latest CCCam which is 2.3, from the Vix folder of cams, install the ipk file & your good to go.
9. Let us know how you get on & if you have any problems with anything such as finding the relevant files, I will point you in the right direction.
10. Apologies in advance if I have made any slight errors in this post, it's the early hours of the morning.

GAH
28th March, 2012, 05:02 PM
Hi 03ahmads,

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I had already done all the things you had suggested in your email, including flashing the latest bootloader and drivers. Hoiwever, since I read the USB thread on the official site (they also mention the 3.1.1. bug) which tells you to stop your HDD from going to sleep, it seems to have cured all my problems. I couldn't go 5 minutes without the box re-booting or locking up, but last night was the first time it made it through the night without a problem. I'll be keeping a close eye on it but I think I've definitely turned a corner!

GAH

03ahmads
28th March, 2012, 06:17 PM
Nice to hear you have the problem sorted. However, my hardrive is set to sleep after 5mins & I have no issues. This may be because I don't have my epg or picons stored on the hardrive.

GAH
28th March, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hi,

It could also be because your USB isn't affected by the driver issue. It's only sending SOME USB drives to sleep after 5 minutes (or whatever your HDD is set to), and it certainly affected the two different USB drives I tried. I was getting problems without having set up the EPG, but as I said earlier, so far so good!

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
GAH

kman999
30th March, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hi,

I would apprciate advice, I have VIX 2.3 Build 204 on solo and my duo, so far it seems ok, but do you think i should go back to Vix Build 153. So far the only issue i am having is that when using my tube I cannot find out a way to to search.

landerson07
31st March, 2012, 02:01 AM
I had the same problems with the latest vix!
BH is prefect! I've installed cool TV epg, autotimer, permanent timeshift, tspanel, setup a swap file and picons to my USB and multi quickbutton to sort the remote layout! Now pretty much as vix but without any crashes or issues!
Very happy bunny

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3

GAH
1st April, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys,

A quick update! I've stil been having issues with crashing/re-starting, but I'm pretty sure it's my USB stick. I have disconnected my HDD and didn't install any picons or epg stuff. I'm on to my THIRD USB stick, and I think I'm getting there. I'm gradually getting eveything set up but last will be the HDD.

Fingers crossed!

GAH

p.s. @landerson07 - though BH was ok but I prefer the Vix EPG layout hence the reason why I'm persevering with it!

dell_xps
1st April, 2012, 10:11 AM
GAH, why dont you put all you picons and epg data on the hard drive m8 ?, I do this and it's never crashed m8, try it without the usb stick, never used a usb stick in mine, except to flash, same goes for my Ultimo m8.

GAH
1st April, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hi dell_xps,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have thought about that, but my only concern was where do I tell the box that the picons are stored on the HDD and not the USB? Also, do the picons still appear in the graphical EPG (when you press the EPG button) if they're on the HDD?

GAH

digicon
1st April, 2012, 06:55 PM
You can easily set picons and EPG to the Internal Hard drive but to me this just generates more heat inside the box which causes the fan to work twice as hard, That is why most people have EPG and Picons stored on an external USB drive.

Your hard drive is being accessed all the time if Picons and EPG are stored there, where as normally if you weren't using timeshift or recording anything your hard drive would be asleep and not generating a hell of a lot of Heat.

@GAH glad you can persevere with it many others would have jumped ship by now and tried another image.

Good Luck

dell_xps
1st April, 2012, 07:43 PM
Create a folder on the hard drive called picons m8, simple as that, in the menu if you click on the storage, you can change it from usb to hard drive at any time, same for epg settings.

GAH
2nd April, 2012, 04:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

@dell_xps, will bear that in mind.
@digicon, thanks for the comment. I'm sure I'll get there! I'm working away from home all week, so I'll check the box once I get home Thursday night. It was working fine with the 3rd USB stick and no hard drive connected. The USB has picons and EPG data, so if it's still working when I get home I'll re-connect the hard drive and try using the timers next.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

GAH

GAH
5th April, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Back home! Box ran fine while I was away(without any channel changes) from 10am on Mon 2nd April to Wed 4th at 2pm (I left it on a channel which displays the time and date). I should maybe have tried it with the remote first, but I swtched it off then on again. Only thing is it didn't start CCcam automatically, even though it should have. I had to go into the Cam Manager and set it up again. I also seemed to have a timer set which I'm sure I didn't do!

Anyway, I'll re-attach the HDD over the weekend, and I think I'll try the new Black Pole image (based on PLi) too!

GAH

GAH
6th April, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Added a reboot timer (via Power manager in the VIX menu) as I've read the 3.1.1. kernel issue is causing a memory leak. It should have re-booted last night, but when I got up this morning, the picture was frozen and remote not working! Not sure when it happened (before or after the reboot) so I'll leave it on a channel tonight which displays the time.

I also tried the Black Pole image based on Pli and was pretty impressed. However, it would NOt mount my HDD properly and had no plugin or extension for backing up a complete image. It may well improve with the next version, but I guess it's early days.

GAH

dell_xps
6th April, 2012, 05:55 PM
GAH what EPG have you got downloading ?

GAH
6th April, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hi dell_xps,

Opentv 28.2 only

I recorded a program this evening, which recorded perfectly. I deleted the timer once it had finished recording and 15 minutes later the box froze, no remote again!

VERY frustrating!

GAH

dell_xps
6th April, 2012, 08:19 PM
Have you got usb stick in box as well as a hard
drive ?

allycoops
6th April, 2012, 09:21 PM
Hi,

It could also be because your USB isn't affected by the driver issue. It's only sending SOME USB drives to sleep after 5 minutes (or whatever your HDD is set to), and it certainly affected the two different USB drives I tried. I was getting problems without having set up the EPG, but as I said earlier, so far so good!

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
GAH

GAH, I haven't got a box yet but I'm following your thread mate for any tips, it would be helpful if you posted what make/version etc of USB drive is giving you these problems so other people can avoid.

Cheers Bud

dell_xps
6th April, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hi m8 I've just re read most of this thread, have you tried a hard reset, I guy I was helping out today had the rebooting problem as you described, asked him to do a hard reset, cured that problem right away, not sure if you have tried this, but just thought I would mention it.
Also is your box a genuine Vu+ or is it a clone m8 ?

GAH
7th April, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Guys,

My 3rd USB which seems to work best comes up as Generic Flash Drive. The other 2 which didn't work too well were a Cruzer and an Easy Disk.

I'm sticking to the USB for picons, swap file and EPG data with the HDD for recording or downloading movies.

My box is 100% genuine, I flashed the latest bootloader myself vis the front USB slot, so it must be genuine.

GAH

dell_xps
7th April, 2012, 04:51 PM
I've got a few corsair and none work in the front slot anyway on the Vu or the Ultimo, however I have an sd card in a usb card reader and it works every time, the make of SD card is a Kingston.
I've never stored epg,picons,vfd picons on a usb, and dont suffer any probs like you m8, did you try a hard reset ?

GAH
8th April, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi dell_xps,

Not too sure what you mean by a hard reset, unplugging the box from the mains and re-starting? I normally need to do that every day when it locks up!

GAH

cactikid
8th April, 2012, 07:53 PM
powering off at rear can sometimes clear faults.

dell_xps
8th April, 2012, 09:06 PM
Is there not an option in the menu ?
There was in the BH image.

benny/9
8th April, 2012, 09:44 PM
Is there not an option in the menu ?
There was in the BH image.
there still is restart and hard reset in the BH 1.7.2 image

digicon
8th April, 2012, 10:12 PM
All Hard Reset does on Blackhole is the same as a Restart but it clears the memory and CPU cache, Its not quite the same as a factory reset on a closed source box which puts everything back to default for this you would have to reflash the image.