PDA

View Full Version : home plug

markedz
26th March, 2012, 08:14 PM
bit of help please

im gonna buy 2 home plugs,but i want to connect my blade upstairs and my tower computer upstairs,do i need more homeplugs to do this please or any other bits and bobs
cheers

mast
26th March, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hi

By that Im presuming your router is downstairs, then you woud need one homeplug to connect to your router and for each device you want connect need one each, so you would need 3 in total for what you want to do.

Regards

markedz
26th March, 2012, 08:29 PM
yes router is downstairs
so 3 it is then cheers

markedz
26th March, 2012, 08:37 PM
wud any of these do the job

7dayshop 200Mbps HomePlug / Powerline Ethernet Network: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

7dayshop 85Mbps Mini HomePlug: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

mast
26th March, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi

They should both be fine. Dont forget you will have to configer them accordingly.

Regards

potrobber
26th March, 2012, 08:45 PM
m8 if you look on ebay you can buy home plugs with 3 output ports on one plug so thats only 2 you would need

works out cheaper for you and less plug outlets used

waqasahmed
28th March, 2012, 01:02 AM
a bit late, but have you considered cabling your home? I'm hoping to cable my home up, and it works out I'll need 40m of cable, max and I can use some cat6 550Mhz cable at 30m each (x2), at around ?40

Add in some trunking, perhaps a tiny bit of drilling, changing a wireless device to a switch (in my case I'm hoping to replace an ?60 wireless router - configured as a repeater, with a 16/24 port gigabit switch (Ill pay someone to do the trunking and drilling - I know a very cheap, yet very reliable guy, if he has time)

Your home devices can then acheive a theoretical maximum of 125MB/s transfer speeds, and when home kit at 10Gb/s becomes more affordable, the line could cope with that speed as well, because apparently cat6 can support 10Gb/s(Theoretical 1.25GB/S) up to a 35m run (Ill be needing around 40m for around 6 rooms)

It also takes less plugs, less power and allows for connectivity in every room in the house

At roughly ?40, I'm getting the top end cable as well. Otherwise, it could be done on around ?18. The cable I wish to get is bordering on Cat6a specifications as well

I'll need to count in trunking + the guy's fees, but I still think it works out cheaper in the long run

Powerline adapters do look nicer however, yet cost more on the whole. 6 rooms would end up costing me a lot more than just cabling up most of the house (the kitchen and cellar aren't going to be cabled)

If you do decide to get them, I'd go for these:
Netgear XE104 PowerLine Ethernet 4-Port Switch-Homeplug,Network,Wireless,Adapter (0606449044829) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-XE104-PowerLine-Ethernet-4-Port-Switch-Homeplug-Network-Wireless-Adapter-/390381290862?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item5ae489c56e#ht_2842wt_722)

You get a 4 port for less money there. Granted it's refurbished, but it costs around 25% less, you get a brand name, and you get 33% more ports (4, instead of 3), and it's manufacture refurbished, so it's refurbished straight from Negear and not any one else, so it's likely to perform like new ones, and in the same packaging etc...

bokkie
28th March, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have the solwise 200 meg ones, they are brilliant. Plug them in, push the button so they talk to eachother, and that's it! Haven't had to touch them in 2 years!
everytime i buy a new gadget now, just buy another homeplug and bob's your uncle.

Manic01
28th March, 2012, 10:48 AM
Had a set of spiderplugs, never had an issue in 2 years.

allycoops
28th March, 2012, 11:48 AM
Guys can I jump in please and ask a related question?

Can you plug these home plugs into a Surge Protected 6 Gang Extension Lead and will they work just the same as plugging them direct into the wall socket.

Thanks for your help

bokkie
28th March, 2012, 02:29 PM
Guys can I jump in please and ask a related question?

Can you plug these home plugs into a Surge Protected 6 Gang Extension Lead and will they work just the same as plugging them direct into the wall socket.

Thanks for your help

Yes mate. In fact i have mine plugged into a 4 gang lead which is plugged into a 6 gang surge protected lead. ( think i have too many gadgets)
Should have no problems.

allycoops
28th March, 2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks Bokkie,

That answers that then lol, I have been put of buying any because of this

I take it the pass through ones work well without any problems?

girovend
28th March, 2012, 09:01 PM
Their was a certain brand I read about that said they would work on an extension lead no problem as long as it Wasnt Surge protected,

And I assumed that it applied to all Home Plugs

markedz
28th March, 2012, 09:41 PM
my ebuyer set run off extension no probs whatsoever
got 3 homeplugs from amazon 7dayshop for ?49.99 delivered,i had amazon voucher worth ?13 just sitting there so used that
so ?37 delivered
cheers for all help

smoggie
28th March, 2012, 10:28 PM
not all homeplugs wont work properly in a surge protected extension. I'm sure it was my ebuyer 200mbps ones that that had to be taken out as they were causing picture break up/glitching