PDA

View Full Version : sky+ is it fair?

the man
29th March, 2012, 10:16 PM
ok a few years ago i payed ?199.99 for a sky+ box
now iv got no card for it and sky is stopping the box from recording ect . (ie stoping my box from from working as it should)

what does it cost sky just to let it record?
how can they get away with selling a sky+ box , then when you leave them the block the hdd from workking in my own box?

any thoughts?
i thinks it must be braking laws

Shady
29th March, 2012, 10:17 PM
its fair because you agreed to it when you bought the box

the man
29th March, 2012, 10:33 PM
its fair because you agreed to it when you bought the box

thanks
tbh i never read the smal print ! didnt read anything about it tbh , it was when they first came out so they stated this way back when i guess ? . i only want to record bbc itv ect,
but it still sucks

cactikid
29th March, 2012, 10:38 PM
a fresat box and a usb hard drive and no bills to pay either will still give you your bbc and itv channels,get a hd box then you get the hd channels.

the man
29th March, 2012, 10:42 PM
thanks , my point is my boxs is fine , why should anyone hav to replace something thats no broke. anyway sory for postting dudes , :giveup:

mtv1
29th March, 2012, 10:51 PM
if you are canceling sly and need to use the box as free view plug out the box before you ring to cancel.
So the card misses the "disable recording" command
This will take a few months as the box need to be off until they stop sending command 3 months should do it lol
Worth it do :D
use a ordinary box while your waiting ;)

ramjet
29th March, 2012, 11:31 PM
sky dont sell you the box , they sell you a subscription

and for sky+ they sell you a sky plus subscription

so in order to have record and playback facilities you pay a subscription to sky and they enable it on the card (now its a white card)

I believe it is (or was) ?10 per month , or its free with any basic subscription pack

its a combination of the card and the box that allows this to heppen , not just the box , not just the card , but a marriage of the two

so yes it is fair that they charge you for a service that they provide , or if you dont pay you do without

maybe it should be a free service , but that is a different issue

but I have never been sold a box by sky in all the time I have had one , and after a year it is yours to keep anyway

my current sky plus HD box was free , free post and packing , free box , and free installation as I installed it myself

maybe you paid for a box , but millions havent done !

the man
29th March, 2012, 11:39 PM
sky dont sell you the box , they sell you a subscription

and for sky+ they sell you a sky plus subscription

so in order to have record and playback facilities you pay a subscription to sky and they enable it on the card (now its a white card)

I believe it is (or was) ?10 per month , or its free with any basic subscription pack

its a combination of the card and the box that allows this to heppen , not just the box , not just the card , but a marriage of the two

so yes it is fair that they charge you for a service that they provide , or if you dont pay you do without

maybe it should be a free service , but that is a different issue

but I have never been sold a box by sky in all the time I have had one , and after a year it is yours to keep anyway

my current sky plus HD box was free , free post and packing , free box , and free installation as I installed it myself

maybe you paid for a box , but millions havent done !

well sky sold me the sky+ box for ?199.99 many years ago and they sold shit loads mate they had full tv adds ect selling them when they just came out , iirc i was told the box is mine and has 1 year warranty. arfter that it would work on bbc ect :giveup::giveup::giveup:
sad i probly have the papper work somewhere

ramjet
29th March, 2012, 11:43 PM
you could have bought a mobile phone for ?200 too with a 1 year contract , doesnt give you the right to have phone or internet access after the period is up , and if it was locked to vodaphone it doesnt give you the right to unlock it for free and go on 02 or virgin

I have bought items that dont give full facilities after a few years , like say a hi fi where the tuner may have failed , I have a clock radio that the tuner no longer works , I have an analogue tv but its all digital in my area now so that no longer tunes in , neither does my vcr for that matter too

its called life m8 , either you pay an ongoing fee to sky to enable your plus service , or you dont , its that simple , and its always been that way for the sky plus service , seeing as its their system and their patent and it is a chargeable service

the man
29th March, 2012, 11:55 PM
, seeing as its their system and their patent and it is a chargeable service

thanks .

the man
30th March, 2012, 02:10 PM
just tryed a old cards thats been off for 6/7 months and sky+ is working fine , will they turn it off do you think?

Manic01
30th March, 2012, 02:13 PM
As far as I know from a friend who uses the same set up, his still works for free.

mtv1
30th March, 2012, 02:51 PM
As far as I know from a friend who uses the same set up, his still works for free.

just tryed a old cards thats been off for 6/7 months and sky+ is working fine , will they turn it off do you think?

true as i've said once the command is not received by the box and card it will work fine it takes a few months do .. happy days recording corrie for maca by any chance :D