PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Problem

garry1312
3rd April, 2012, 11:51 PM
Right guys I think it's time for me to admit that I have a alcohol problem.

I drink daily, think about drinking, take drink along with prescription meds.

The taking them with prescription meds (diazepam and zopiclone) leaves me to black out and find myself doing things thats not right and that I would not normally do. Although I can black out on alcohol just on its own but not often with the meds its like every time.

I have now lost CB and she has taken our son.

I want to sort myself out I dont want to be without her, I dont want to be a part time dad and I dont want to do things that disgust me.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my adult life and I now realise that alcohol is always close by to the problem.

Are there any other DK members out there that have had a alcohol problem and came through it? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Sorry for getting serious on you guys but you have always helped me out.

Belloriccoefamoso
3rd April, 2012, 11:57 PM
hallo from italy
i can't help you but just u type this to all is a sign...
evenif it's easy talk back a computer...
but is a sign, i hope u will solve this bad problem...
before u loose family that is the most important thing u have in your life
i hope for you the best
enrico

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 12:00 AM
hallo from italy
i can't help you but just u type this to all is a sign...
evenif it's easy talk back a computer...
but is a sign, i hope u will solve this bad problem...
before u loose family that is the most important thing u have in your life
i hope for you the best
enrico
Thanks mate not seen you around here before so hi.

Already lost them but need to get this sorted its no way to live my life im 25 ive lost my family, i am being a fool and slowly killing myself.

andy91
4th April, 2012, 12:11 AM
Hi Garry,im no big drinker but in my job see so many people waste away with drink and think its a worse habit than drugs.
I hope you have good people around you and get good support and things get better.
Great you realise you have a problem and you can try and kick the habit.
All the best mate.XX

Andy.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 12:19 AM
Hi Garry,im no big drinker but in my job see so many people waste away with drink and think its a worse habit than drugs.
I hope you have good people around you and get good support and things get better.
Great you realise you have a problem and you can try and kick the habit.
All the best mate.XX

Andy.

Thanks Andy for your kind words :)

Sadly I have no one around me I live miles away from my family have no friends in the location I now stay, my own family has left me.

I do feel that admitting it has helped in some way but I know that in no way is that a cure I have a long battle and to be honest mate I am scared.

Belloriccoefamoso
4th April, 2012, 12:25 AM
hi to you too
any words i try say....seem stupid...
could be easy "talk"... i can't sorry
for sure people will say you TONS of things
but only inside you will find power to exit from this bad problem
enrico

cactikid
4th April, 2012, 12:27 AM
well you took the biggest step now having admitted the problem you have,yes drink can be a curse for a lot of people and your body cant take the extra stress,i dont drink so dont know how bad it gets for you but i do hope you get yourself sorted and reunite cb and your son again.

http://www.stopdrinkingadvice.org/

andy91
4th April, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hopefully this will go in a long way in you kicking the habit and you winning back Cb and your son.
Ive seen so many people waste away because of drink including my own dad.
Easy for outsiders to say just pack it in but hopefully there is help out there who can get you back on the straight and narrow,

Andy.

Grizz
4th April, 2012, 12:30 AM
sorry to hear this garry. knock the beer on the head, you know whats more important. hope it all works out for you

cactikid
4th April, 2012, 12:32 AM
does intimidation work as we could send a 1000 members from here to sort you out,remember you are not alone.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 12:33 AM
well you took the biggest step now having admitted the problem you have,yes drink can be a curse for a lot of people and your body cant take the extra stress,i dont drink so dont know how bad it gets for you but i do hope you get yourself sorted and reunite cb and your son again.

I hope I can get sorted to mate I am here in bits now realising that something as simple as a liquid can ruin your life, make you do things you would not do, change you as a person and push those away from you that you love.

I joined a alcohol support forum there thinking that would be another step to take, talk about the most awkward forum to use I have no idea on how to post a thread on it and I am no stranger to forums. You would think they would make it easy.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 12:42 AM
Hopefully this will go in a long way in you kicking the habit and you winning back Cb and your son.
Ive seen so many people waste away because of drink including my own dad.
Easy for outsiders to say just pack it in but hopefully there is help out there who can get you back on the straight and narrow,

Andy.

I am 25 Andy and I dont feel it, I feel ill in a way that I cant explain at times, I get pains through my body and arms and chest and I have even told myself before 'its probably the drink' but did it make me stop..... no :(

Sorry to hear about your dad mate. I want to fight this now more than ever I will, CB might not take me back but I have a son that needs his dad around.

sorry to hear this garry. knock the beer on the head, you know whats more important. hope it all works out for you

Thanks Grizz I am going to fight this I know whats important.

does intimidation work as we could send a 1000 members from here to sort you out,remember you are not alone.

Thanks Cact it means a lot. DK is full of great people I cant thank use enough not only for the sat help but other help also and the help use are giving me now.

tshirtman
4th April, 2012, 12:45 AM
really sorry to here that mate, but you've made the first step, in admitting you have a problem, your GP should be the first port of call there is a drug called Campral that has a good track record for curbing the urge,
he can also point you to some advice centers, I wouldn't bother with AA, not much use,
you have the incentive you need now, use your lad and CB as your focus to do this,
the meds your on do not mix well with booze and can lead to hepatitis, keep that in mind.
you sound ready to do this, so stay strong, get some good advice, and you'll do it, don't give up on your family, if CB sees your taking responsibility and doing something to curb your drinking all may not be lost.
best of luck mate.

cactikid
4th April, 2012, 12:51 AM
as far as i am aware you may have to reduce your daily intake of alcohol,maybe if your drinking at home and you use a big glass use a smaller one and gradually wean yourself off,i would deffo not mix pills and booze as too many other great people have gone before you,amy,michael,whitney,please dont follow them.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 12:56 AM
really sorry to here that mate, but you've made the first step, in admitting you have a problem, your GP should be the first port of call there is a drug called Campral that has a good track record for curbing the urge,
he can also point you to some advice centers, I wouldn't bother with AA, not much use,
you have the incentive you need now, use your lad and CB as your focus to do this,
the meds your on do not mix well with booze and can lead to hepatitis, keep that in mind.
you sound ready to do this, so stay strong, get some good advice, and you'll do it, don't give up on your family, if CB sees your taking responsibility and doing something to curb your drinking all may not be lost.
best of luck mate.

I've lost CB for sure mate done some stupid things during black outs, not even stupid things down right disgraceful.

I will give the doctors a call in the morning mate and have taken a note of Campral because I do have urges, all the time.

I agree I dont think the AA would be for me I have looked in to it tonight but I just dont like there attitude towards it all.

As I said I have lost CB hard as that is to come to terms with I need to focus on my wee boy.

I have told myself for so long things like 'a man is entitled to a drink after his work' or 'whats the big deal most people have a drink to unwind' etc...... all excuses.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 01:00 AM
as far as i am aware you may have to reduce your daily intake of alcohol,maybe if your drinking at home and you use a big glass use a smaller one and gradually wean yourself off,i would deffo not mix pills and booze as too many other great people have gone before you,amy,michael,whitney,please dont follow them.

I know mate I had the pills for sleeping but then obviously with my drinking I was taking them. Then I got hives which is a side effect of zopiclone and i read that zopiclones side effects are doubled if mixed with alcohol so I decided to use diazepam instead, I basically as CB said started eating them like smarties and since taking them I really have no memory of one day from the next.

What a fool I am, I have a cheek to look down on heroin addicts etc..... I am no better.

cactikid
4th April, 2012, 01:03 AM
dont give up hope m8 there maybe some glimmer of hope thats all we can say its a target to reach.

Belloriccoefamoso
4th April, 2012, 01:06 AM
you have to do this for yourself but evenif seem he no need u anymore in real yoru son (from 0 to 40 years old) have a desperate need of you
this is for sure
maybe not today or next week or next month...but next year...
he need you, the father....and the mother is protecting him but belive me if she will see you exit from this problem...
maybe you will no take herheart anymore but for sure her respect...
think to your son any time you have a glass in front of you...

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 01:08 AM
dont give up hope m8 there maybe some glimmer of hope thats all we can say its a target to reach.

I wont lie to myself mate i have lost CB the love of my life that I have treated like shite, I have lost her.

But my target can be getting better for my son I wish I could flick a switch and have all this gone.

Damn this is the most emotional threat I have ever had on DK.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 01:10 AM
you have to do this for yourself but evenif seem he no need u anymore in real yoru son (from 0 to 40 years old) have a desperate need of you
this is for sure
maybe not today or next week or next month...but next year...
he need you, the father....and the mother is protecting him but belive me if she will see you exit from this problem...
maybe you will no take herheart anymore but for sure her respect...
think to your son any time you have a glass in front of you...

I will do that mate thank you :)

Belloriccoefamoso
4th April, 2012, 01:22 AM
i hope u not only say it just now because into an emotional time but even tomorrow...and after tomorrow...and even if near a glass of something....
your son first
i'm father of a little 3yo man and i see his eyes when i arrive home after a day of work, his smile, his desire to ask me about trains, motorbikes, engines....how he look at me as at his PAPA' (father)
for him i'm like GOD....and i feel this like the most important thing in the world... sometime i cry for this...
your son first, your son....

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 01:40 AM
i hope u not only say it just now because into an emotional time but even tomorrow...and after tomorrow...and even if near a glass of something....
your son first
i'm father of a little 3yo man and i see his eyes when i arrive home after a day of work, his smile, his desire to ask me about trains, motorbikes, engines....how he look at me as at his PAPA' (father)
for him i'm like GOD....and i feel this like the most important thing in the world... sometime i cry for this...
your son first, your son....

Im going to fight it mate I am going to take action tomorrow withiout a doubt.

tshirtman
4th April, 2012, 02:21 AM
I know it sounds a bit hippyish, but a support group or counsellor will help, especially if your estranged from your family, your going to have bad days, and someone to talk to will help,

another thing that will help with urges is sweet sugary food and drinks(milkshakes are good), when you stop drinking your blood sugars drop and that is something your body will crave for,

your feeling guilty at the moment, but don't keep beating yourself up, we can all look at our life with hindsight, but it wont help,

set yourself some targets/goals, and start with a visit to the docs, keep a picture of your lad with you, if you feeling like shit get it out and tell yourself, this is why your doing this, keep positive.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 02:37 AM
I know it sounds a bit hippyish, but a support group or counsellor will help, especially if your estranged from your family, your going to have bad days, and someone to talk to will help,

another thing that will help with urges is sweet sugary food and drinks(milkshakes are good), when you stop drinking your blood sugars drop and that is something your body will crave for,

your feeling guilty at the moment, but don't keep beating yourself up, we can all look at our life with hindsight, but it wont help,

set yourself some targets/goals, and start with a visit to the docs, keep a picture of your lad with you, if you feeling like shit get it out and tell yourself, this is why your doing this, keep positive.

Hey mate found this chatroom called stepchat.com for alcoholics seems ok some members are AA all the way and others have some really good support, others are just a pain. But the ones that are being really supportive are a blessing :)

I will set myself targets mate and visit my doc (our doc surgery is a nightmare though for appointments)

I'll overcome this I am making myself that promise :)

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 05:06 AM
been there done it all gaz, and more than likely a lot worse than you, firstly until you can see your doctor DONT just stop drinking it can cause alcoholic fits, reduce it gradually if you have been hitting it hard, but i would knock the diazapam and zopiclones on the head because your playing russian roulette mixing them with alcohol, ask the doc about librium(Chlordiazepoxide), this will help a lot with the dts ( shakes ) also ask him about help you can get forget AA its shite but theres other places that offer help i know ive been to them,talking about it with other people in the same boat helps a lot, like you gaz the demon drink has cost me a lot over the years, jobs, relationships, homes, self respect etc etc etc, its has took me a long time to sort it out, so dont worry if you fall off the wagon a few times while your in "recovery" it happens to most people, just keep at it you will get there in the end, also ask the doc about anti-depressants for a while as im sure your feeling rock bottom at the moment, also i would avoid going out with people who like to drink this will lead to to much temptation for you at the moment, try to find something to do to keep your mind occupied it does help, and remember you not alone, theres lots of people with drink problems and lots more that dont admit to it, keep at it m8 you will get there in the end, pm me if you want ask anything in private ;) and good luck m8 a really mean that :)

ecufix
4th April, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hi Gary as mentioned above you are already on your way to recovery by acknowledging the problem , join the local AA and you sure to get the support and advice from many people in the same boat , work on getting CB and son back,best regards and good luck.

aftermath
4th April, 2012, 07:36 AM
Gaz , look into detoxing your body, and just drink 2 or 3 days a week, i also drink too much alcohol according to my doctor, so i can now drink green tea or peppermint tea or water 4 days a week, and enjoy a few beers over the weekend ( also vodka and diet drinks, coke, 7 up e.t.c. ).

Its all about will power m8, and you will feel much better and gain more energy.

once you start feeling better your confidence will grow.

on the 3 drink nights , just have a maximum of 4 cans, or instead make a bottle of vodka last the 3 days, the 4 days off you will feel much better for it. and still can look foreward to a drink, or better again, you and cb, and your son can try looking forward to 1 night a week going out for lunch, just a starter to try get back on track.

i can take it or leave it , but look forward to 3 days drinking but i know when to stop.

i have a great dettox plan diet, and can drink 8 pints on 2 days a week if you need it pm me, i paid a nutritionist to set it up for me and its very healthy.

Shady
4th April, 2012, 07:41 AM
this may sound harsh, but cb leaving you may be the best thing for you right now.
i know when my dad had problems with the drink, we all stopped going to see him, which forced him to get his drinking down to an acceptable level

Snowy79
4th April, 2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the position you are in. As has been said you've made the first big step. The only advice I can give is to find something to take your mind and body away from your vices. Try to break the cycle you are in even if it's just going out the front door without any pills etc in your pocket. Pick a walking route that will take you an hour away from your house and stick to it. An hour out and an hour back will give your body a bit of a break without straining your body. Ditch the crowd you hang around with as I can bet there will be a couple of people hanging around that will be of no help to you. Start with ditching where you get your pills from.

I hope CB and your lad are also getting the help they need. My Daughter is my life and I'd give anything for her, overcome your problems for your kids and your sake. And for those clowns on here that keep trying to justify drugs etc I hope they read this and realise that it's not all a bed of roses. Innocent people get affected by their actions.

super jumbe
4th April, 2012, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear this garry1312 I have lots of friends they have lost every thing from bad habits like drinking and gambling, as the worse gets your family get alcohol abuse and when they can not take trouble any more they live you on your own.

Now is the time for you to get help, you will have to work very hard towards solving your drinking problem as you have children and they need all the help you can give them but you are helpless to do that.

Your family is your asset look after them and they will look after you.

Get all the help you can and I wish you recover soon and your family to join you.

Remember all the dk members are also trying to help you, that what we are hear for.

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

Evastar
4th April, 2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry to hear this Garry, I'm sure you are having a tough time.

As someone that works in a drug and alcohol rehab unit parttime on a voluntary basis, my advice to you would be to seek professional help.

I dont think its possible to cut down when you have an addiction, you need to give it up altogether. And I would seriously reconsider AA, yeah you mightn't like some aspects of their program, but what's the alternatives? Also they will give you a sponsor and they will become your mentor and one of the closest people in your life.

And as for CB and your son, take the right steps and it mightn't be too late.

lagerland
4th April, 2012, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your split gaz admitting you have problem mate is the first step to recovery.Aslong as you get the right help i do drink evey day aswell but i do rest from time to time in january i didnt drink for the whole month and did notice the benefit. ie no chronic indigestion and me farmers didnt play up.Its sounds to m8 even if you can knock the drugs on head would be a great help also i dont do them myself so not really qualified to comment...

I hope things turn out ok 4 gaz take it easy m8 stiff upper lip and all that............

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 09:54 AM
I dont think its possible to cut down when you have an addiction.

:hmmmm: im living proof of it :hmmmm: as are a lot of others i know, as i have said if you have been hitting it hard for a while the only safe way is to reduce it gradually beer or drugs, if you want to stop it straight away ( alcohol ) you need to get something for the withdrawl symptoms from the docs librium is the standard treatment for alcohol withdrawl as i have said, i know what im talking about i have been in the "system" for at least 10 years now, no one can know what your going through unless they have been there, i have, knocking it on the head just like that with out help can be dangerous, i have lost count the number of hosptial admissions i have had in the past, also medically supervised detoxes ( in hospital ) i have suffered alcoholic fits, potassium levels that low ( caused by alcohol ) that one more drink could have killed me, enlarged liver/abnormal live, etc etc etc i could go on for ages, as you see i know what im on about, go to the docs get some help see what is on offer, if theres is nothing else but AA on offer go there, but if there is other less formal places to go try them first.

Shady
4th April, 2012, 09:55 AM
agreed , as i said before, my dad cut his down to an acceptable level.. if you place your family above your addiction of course you can cut down.

nathan2007
4th April, 2012, 10:19 AM
hi mate was in a similar sityuation not so long ago with the booze and mor eillkicit substances shall we say went to rehab cost money but money well spent mate was there 4 weeks felt like i have b een reborn ever since( no not found god just feel a new person) if u have the money go for it , it also shows the people around you that you are serious about facing your probs mate

if not counselling and other services help a lot pm if u need details no prob here to help

gopher7
4th April, 2012, 10:47 AM
Give AA a try m8, you'll have someone to tell your problems to (a sponser). You'll get advice from folk who've been in the same situation.

All the best for the future.
Gopher 7

gizmo.1484
4th April, 2012, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear of your probblems m8..
Like everyone else as said it,s good that you have excepted that you have a problem and are ready to do something about it before it's too late.
The best advice i can give you is to find a local drug & alcohol treatment centre they will give you all the help that you need.
They will help you with your addiction with counselling, drugs to help with the detox and withdrawals. Just remember you are not on your own there are a lot of services out there to help you kick it.

I won't lie to you it's going to be hard at first, but i believe you can beat it as you have taken the first steps and admitted you have a problem, you just have to focus on what's important to you (cb and your son) and you will kick it. You might fall off the wagon a few times, you just need to pick yourself up and get back on.

If you need to talk get in touch...

bobwill
4th April, 2012, 11:05 AM
I wish I could say I know nothing about this but sadly I have a family member going through this at present but we are trying to help him. Most people who deal with alcoholics say it is worse than drugs because drugs are seen as ilegal and you have to look for them or know where to get them but booze is every where as you walk into supermarkets and a lot of petrol stations its stacked up with to cheap offers . I wish you well garry and hope you get rid of you demons and come out the other side a gentler and happier person it will be hard and you will have relapes but with help you can get through this bad time.

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 11:24 AM
alcohol withdrawl is a lot and i mean a lot worse then drug withdrawl and a lot more dangerous, thats why i say come off the beer slowly or do it with prescribed medication, but dont mix the 2, i tried it and it made me a lot worse.

happy_highlander
4th April, 2012, 01:29 PM
Gary I was in the same situation and haven't had a drink now since 13 february 2008. I'm sure you see the significance with the date. I made a promise to myself my wife and my children on that day. Well the next day when I was sober. Believe in yourself and you'll get through it mate, things do get better but I won't lie to you, it's ~~~~in hard work, get something from the doc for your stomach to stop you throwing up and push yourself through the dt's. Nobody can help you at this stage but yourself and you have taken the first step. Once you are over the worst of it you may get a surprise in the response you get from cb, you may find once she had seen the effort you are putting she may want to help you. I was a nasty ~~~~ when I was drink and will never forgive myself for some of the things I have said and done. If you need to talk mate let me know, I'm always about but remember the most IMPORTANT THING IS YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO STOP DRINKING YOU ARE STOPPING DRINKING. I never used the aa, I had a quick look around and it was all bollox. Poor me my arse, I done it to myself and only I can sort it. Just try to get on with things as normal as you can that's what worked for me mate........If you need to offload just give me a shout, if your still struggling in 8 weeks or so I'll be up visiting family so I can come over from fife and give you a kick up the arse if still think you need it......good luck and stay strong

Evastar
4th April, 2012, 02:02 PM
I am aware that it's dangerous to stop drinking cold turkey gmb, I told him to go for professional help, not just stop drinking on his own.

I also think its dangerous to tell people that they can cut down on their alcohol consumption and theyll be fine, yes that works for some but a very small percentage. Most people have to cut it out altogether. It's very tempting to say oh i'll be one of the few that can handle it, but the reality is he probably won't.

And yes AA aren't perfect, but it is definitely worth trying.

happy_highlander
4th April, 2012, 02:39 PM
It can be dangerous eva but if you have ever tried to stop drinking the supposed safe way you are onto a hiding to nothing. Trying to tell an alcoholic only to drink a couple of pints a day when they already feel like sh1t due to the pain and heartache they have caused to loved ones is like giving a heroin addict 4 syringes full but telling them they can only have one....when those dt's kick in you will do almost anything to stop them. Like I said get the pills they help with the cramps and the vomiting and look after yourself.....Biggest drawback for me was when I let myself get hungry, that made things much worse.

Evastar
4th April, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes HH, the best thing he can do is go see his doctor or other professionals and get meds and advice on what help is available in his area

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hi guys I just want to say WOW the support I have received from all of you is really something and really is touching.

From online support groups I have been told not to feel quilty etc but that is very hard when you have done terrible things and lost track of your family.

I have decided to go to a AA meeting tonight it is at 8PM I dont think the AA is for me but it is worth a shot hey if its not for me then theres other things out there for me.

I have kept myself busy today, even went out for a bar lunch with my mum and sister in law and ordered a latte and 2 colas. Not drank a thing today....... not going to lie still have thought about it but I wont act on it.

I think the lowering down on alcohol wont work for me I really dont, if I have alcohol there I drink it until its all gone.

Once again what a amazing bunch you are. I thought dont post this on DK what will they think? But your support has been amazing :)

happy_highlander
4th April, 2012, 03:15 PM
Good step forward that is mate getting in and out of the pub without a drink. Just remind yourself now that you've done it once you can do it again. I never stopped going to the pub except for the first 2 weeks when I was really ill. Just remember that if you do ever have a drink you haven't failed, just pick yourself up and start again

Evastar
4th April, 2012, 03:19 PM
CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) and various other types of therapy are proving to be very helpful, if you want any of the course work I do in my classes just pm me

smirnoff_rules
4th April, 2012, 03:22 PM
let us all know how u get on tonight m8 ,,. and give it more than one shot even if u dont like .. bet millions walk out on there first visit and wish they hadnt ..

also why is the doctor giving u so much diazepam ?

its more additive that alcohol

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 03:35 PM
Good step forward that is mate getting in and out of the pub without a drink. Just remind yourself now that you've done it once you can do it again. I never stopped going to the pub except for the first 2 weeks when I was really ill. Just remember that if you do ever have a drink you haven't failed, just pick yourself up and start again

I think I done well there mate at that point I had not told my mum I had a drink problem so I could have easily ordered a pint without any grief or anything.

I am keeping myself busy today right now gutting the house (Womans work :o lol) then will take the mutt out for a long walk go do some shopping and then go to that meeting that I am honestly dreading :(

reddevil157
4th April, 2012, 04:30 PM
Fair play to ya garry for having the bollox to put it on a forum, shows you've got the determination & you've started doing something about it already. Hope you get encouragement from the meeting 2nite. Best of luck with it.

tshirtman
4th April, 2012, 04:36 PM
don't be worried about going to the meeting tonight, everyone there will be in the same boat, and probably with the same home life problems,
it will just be discussions about things like, how much you drink, how you feel when you drink or don't drink, how it effects your home life/work etc,
there will be people who are further down the line, and can offer advice on coping when the urges kick in, honesty is the key in these type of meetings,
I didn't want to suggest drugs like Librium as you seem to be functioning, and you didn't say anything about DT's or the like, but I do think your prescribed meds are a big part of the problem, especially regarding the blackouts,
you need to ask your GP for a meds review, zopiclone should only be a temporary measure as they can become addictive, and I'm unsure why your on diazepam, if it's for depression or anxiety, there are much better drugs out there now without the severe side effects, Mirtazapine can treat depression and sleep disorders in one, with less side effects,
it's going to be a slow process, and if you feel after tonight, AA isn't for you there are other help groups and organizations who can help, but well done for today, that proves your ready and able to kick the drink.

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 04:48 PM
Fair play to ya garry for having the bollox to put it on a forum, shows you've got the determination & you've started doing something about it already. Hope you get encouragement from the meeting 2nite. Best of luck with it.

Thanks mate :)

don't be worried about going to the meeting tonight, everyone there will be in the same boat, and probably with the same home life problems,
it will just be discussions about things like, how much you drink, how you feel when you drink or don't drink, how it effects your home life/work etc,
there will be people who are further down the line, and can offer advice on coping when the urges kick in, honesty is the key in these type of meetings,
I didn't want to suggest drugs like Librium as you seem to be functioning, and you didn't say anything about DT's or the like, but I do think your prescribed meds are a big part of the problem, especially regarding the blackouts,
you need to ask your GP for a meds review, zopiclone should only be a temporary measure as they can become addictive, and I'm unsure why your on diazepam, if it's for depression or anxiety, there are much better drugs out there now without the severe side effects, Mirtazapine can treat depression and sleep disorders in one, with less side effects,
it's going to be a slow process, and if you feel after tonight, AA isn't for you there are other help groups and organizations who can help, but well done for today, that proves your ready and able to kick the drink.

Thanks still worried mate.

The zopiclone was prescribed originally for sleeping and as you say was only temporary. When they ran out I sourced them myself but was not liking that they made me feel out of it in the mornings so I then went on to diazepam myself first for sleeping but then realised the efffects were similar to alcohol. I would not say I am addicted either one of these drugs. It worries me what I do on these black outs, how is it possible to do something so stupid, hurtful, careless, illegal or whatever and not remember a thing and for it to be totally out of your nature?

I dont know what DT's are mate but today I am shaking a lot and I have aches in my body mainly my joints.

lagerland
4th April, 2012, 04:49 PM
Good luck 4 to night gaz not that you wiil need it hope all goes well.....................

smirnoff_rules
4th April, 2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks mate :)

Thanks still worried mate.

The zopiclone was prescribed originally for sleeping and as you say was only temporary. When they ran out I sourced them myself but was not liking that they made me feel out of it in the mornings so I then went on to diazepam myself first for sleeping but then realised the efffects were similar to alcohol. I would not say I am addicted either one of these drugs. It worries me what I do on these black outs, how is it possible to do something so stupid, hurtful, careless, illegal or whatever and not remember a thing and for it to be totally out of your nature?

I dont know what DT's are mate but today I am shaking a lot and I have aches in my body mainly my joints.

l use diazepam for a back problem and like u got wot l needed over the wall , but there not the same there copies and some as bad ones . they will use anything to mix with them .. u could be taking any old shit m8 .. be carefull

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 05:08 PM
brill gaz going into a pub n not drinking :top: even better not having none at home, i used to go into the pub n drink till they chucked me out or an ambulance fetched me lol or the police lol, seriously tho if your not having bad dts you will be ok with out librium or coming of the beer slowly, these methods are for the extreme cases, which personally i dont think you have got that far ( and hope you never do ) any way see how you go at AA, as you have said i dont think it will be for you, but it might be, i found the less informal places worked better for me, one to one chats with a keyworker etc, in notts theres a few places you can go thats like a day centre, you go there you can have a natter with other people whos in the same boat, hav a one to one with your keyworker there, theres no pressure on any kind just peeps there if you need to talk, these places are a bit daunting at first but once you get "into things" they are great :) as tshirtman has said them zopiclones and diazapam are heavy shit you dont really want to be on them, mirtazapine is good im on them, hav been for years, but thats me not you, your doc is the man to see bout that aspect, any way keep at it, these things are sent to test us ;)

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 05:23 PM
What are DT's mate is it the shaking and twitching and pain, I have all 3 of these things. I have been thinking about drinking and gadz I was tidying the kitchen there and there was a half full can of cider on the floor dog hairs on it, I thought about it, thought just give it a wipe down but I binned it.

This really is not easy I have a sore head coming on now to and the pains in my arms are getting sorer I assume thats the little devil inside trying to pressure me to drink..... well I wont let it win.

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 05:25 PM
dts gaz, the shakes, hot cold sweats, dry retching ( wanting to be sick and nowt will come out ) and prob what ever else you feeling atm, also expect a few sleepless nights when you doing cold turkey as you are atm, this is one reason i have said about getting librium or coming off the beer slowly it reduces the dts and risks of black outs or even alcoholic fits, i dont want to scare you or persuade you into drinking or taking drugs, im just trying to tell you what could happen, i have seen these things happen to a lot of people and me but we was bad cases, in the end its down to you m8 all said and done, no one can stop you drinking only you, not nice thing to hear i know, but its true i faced up to it in the end, it took a while but got there as you will if you have the determination :) as has been said dont feel bad about your self this can happen to any one who drinks, try all the different things thats on offer one will suit you ;) remember you system is ~~~~ed up atm so ya might experience other symptems not mentioned, but basically everthing thats happening to you body and mind atm will be down to the dts, dts ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

happy_highlander
4th April, 2012, 05:32 PM
What are DT's mate is it the shaking and twitching and pain, I have all 3 of these things. I have been thinking about drinking and gadz I was tidying the kitchen there and there was a half full can of cider on the floor dog hairs on it, I thought about it, thought just give it a wipe down but I binned it.

This really is not easy I have a sore head coming on now to and the pains in my arms are getting sorer I assume thats the little devil inside trying to pressure me to drink..... well I wont let it win.

You have the dt's described exactly, and it's not easy m8. Don't try anything to strenuous, the stress on your heart at the minute is huge (and that's no joke m8) which is what eva was talking about when she said just stopping completely was dangerous. Just do things in fits and starts taking plenty breaks. I ended up taking 2 weeks of work until everything had settled down. I did try to change a ceiling light fitting near the end of those first 2 weeks but stop due to the fear of electrocution, I was sweating that much.......It was at that point the wife realised just what I was going through (the light was for her) and asked me if I wanted to move back home as I was clearly serious about giving it a damn good go

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 05:45 PM
these are the medically supervised detoxes i have done---> 2 weeks on a mental health ward queens medical centre nottingham, 10 days in the wells road centre nottingham, 6 days qmc again, 6 days in the city hospital, 5 days qmc. 6 days city hospital again and some other shorter periods in the qmc, as you can see i have had quite some experience with it all and i know what im on about if you need to talk pm me or if things are getting really bad i will give you my number ;) the fat en as put up with murder with me but we still together ;)

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 05:56 PM
dts gaz, the shakes, hot cold sweats, dry retching ( wanting to be sick and nowt will come out ) and prob what ever else you feeling atm, also expect a few sleepless nights when you doing cold turkey as you are atm, this is one reason i have said about getting librium or coming off the beer slowly it reduces the dts and risks of black outs or even alcoholic fits, i dont want to scare you or persuade you into drinking or taking drugs, im just trying to tell you what could happen, i have seen these things happen to a lot of people and me but we was bad cases, in the end its down to you m8 all said and done, no one can stop you drinking only you, not nice thing to hear i know, but its true i faced up to it in the end, it took a while but got there as you will if you have the determination :) as has been said dont feel bad about your self this can happen to any one who drinks, try all the different things thats on offer one will suit you ;) remember you system is ~~~~ed up atm so ya might experience other symptems not mentioned, but basically everthing thats happening to you body and mind atm will be down to the dts, dts ---> Delirium tremens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens)

Checked that link mate and also got some other symptoms that I didnt think was down to that.

You have the dt's described exactly, and it's not easy m8. Don't try anything to strenuous, the stress on your heart at the minute is huge (and that's no joke m8) which is what eva was talking about when she said just stopping completely was dangerous. Just do things in fits and starts taking plenty breaks. I ended up taking 2 weeks of work until everything had settled down. I did try to change a ceiling light fitting near the end of those first 2 weeks but stop due to the fear of electrocution, I was sweating that much.......It was at that point the wife realised just what I was going through (the light was for her) and asked me if I wanted to move back home as I was clearly serious about giving it a damn good go

Scary stuff when you think about it. Not working at the moment mate but have the added stress of getting back in to work. Got to do everything around the house myself now as I am the only one here god trust me 4 walls drive you crazy, I cant sit at piece I am up and I am down I am up the stairs I am down the stairs, I am through in the kitchen, out in the garden...... im surprised I have not ventured up the ~~~~ing attic yet lol

these are the medically supervised detoxes i have done---> 2 weeks on a mental health ward queens medical centre nottingham, 10 days in the wells road centre nottingham, 6 days qmc again, 6 days in the city hospital, 5 days qmc. 6 days city hospital again and some other shorter periods in the qmc, as you can see i have had quite some experience with it all and i know what im on about if you need to talk pm me or if things are getting really bad i will give you my number ;) the fat en as put up with murder with me but we still together ;)

Thanks mate if and when it gets hard I will be in touch :)

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 06:13 PM
one thing to add gaz, please dont let this cost you you job or things will get really bad :( sorry to say it but it will.

gopher7
4th April, 2012, 06:15 PM
Good luck with the meeting tonight bud. :)

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 06:24 PM
one thing to add gaz, please dont let this cost you you job or things will get really bad :( sorry to say it but it will.

Lost my job on Friday mate was not related to this but to do with my boss. I told him he was wrong etc that he didnt have a clue etc and as a contractor out the door I went.

How will this make it worse mate :/

garry1312
4th April, 2012, 06:24 PM
Good luck with the meeting tonight bud. :)

Thanks mate so worried about it but im going and thats the end of it :)

Bulld0g
4th April, 2012, 06:31 PM
There's not much i can say that hasn't been said already m8. I'm sorry to hear things have gone tits up but i know you will come through it. Good luck for tonight and there's always someone around if you need to talk :)

gmb45
4th April, 2012, 06:41 PM
Lost my job on Friday mate was not related to this but to do with my boss. I told him he was wrong etc that he didnt have a clue etc and as a contractor out the door I went.

How will this make it worse mate :/ ah soz didnt know you had lost ya job, what i ment was having days off thru the beer looking rough at work, not being able to do your job properly etc, that dont matter now. so now you have to keep your mind occupied thru the day to keep ya mind off the beer, i know what ya mean about not being able to sit still, up n down etc, i spent 3 days solid and nights cause i couldnt sit still when coming off the beer cleaning me flat top to bottom you could hav ate ya dinner off the floor lol

:eek: ~~~~ me 64 replies already lol

Delmonte
4th April, 2012, 06:49 PM
Good luck with the meeting.

whisker
4th April, 2012, 06:49 PM
Gary as many have said you have taken the first step I however got to this step but carried on. I am 35 years of age and have been an alcoholic for 18 of them i also lost my job and partner,in 2009 i was admitted to hospital with ketoacitosis where upon i proceeded to hallucinate through withdrawal symptoms i went round the bend and ended up assaulting a male nurse with a drip pole,i have never been violent in my life. This lead to me being arrested and denied any more treatment. I went back four months later with the same complaint,(at the time of my first spell they were unaware i was alcoholic and subsequent charges were dropped by the nhs) and was given both care for my diabetic issues as well as alcoholism withdrawal through dependency,i had three seizures during my three month stay,the third one put me into cardiac arrest. I am now free of drink since june 2009. This not a horror story for sympathy for all i have done was my own doing,but to serve a reminder of what people dont see. I attended one meeting after my release and no more there after,i have come this for on determination alone,i do not know you at all but have seen you around the forums,and when i say if i can do it all you need to know is im damn sure you can do it. if you have anything to ask please pm me. i wish you every success on what can be a long road indeed. I have been there,seen it and done it,i hope my words are of some help to you and your ultimate reward at the end is you become a far more stronger,responsible and better person.

give the meeting all you have and i hope you like god!

happy_highlander
4th April, 2012, 07:21 PM
Never a truer word said whisker.....If I hadn't been through I would have been one of the first to say it can't be that hard just stop drinking....I didn't have any seizures but did suffer the palpations and hallucinations. I just wish now that there had been more shown about the seriousness of alcohol when I was younger. Not that I would have taken a blind bit of notice seeing as I started drinking at the age of 12 and was 35 when I stopped or I don't think I would have made it to 39

patkins
4th April, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hi garry, you're on the road to recovery. You've admitted the problem, you've told DK the losses, you're jolting yourself. It's a start and a very important one too.
You're not friendless...you've got a quarter of a million friends on here... and because of DK you have friends here who have been where you're at.
Don't shun tonights meeting, give it a chance, go a second time, gmb is an important friend to you right now.
PM gmb, come back to us, keep searching for answers and you'll find them and while doing so your mind will be otherwise occupied.
You can beat this and you will.
The DT's snapped me back years ago and it wasn't pleasant.
You haven't failed because you wouldn't be seeking help if you had.
Best of luck with the meeting, you're not unique as you will find out how common the problem is.
Will power, determination and a quarter of a million friends to help garry....go for it.

johnboy1974
4th April, 2012, 09:59 PM
Gary it takes a big man to come on here and admit that. Now go to your doctor and admit it to them. They will get you proffessional help and then you can get your life back. Good luck all the best.

daithi
4th April, 2012, 10:15 PM
sorry to hear this gary
hope all gets sorted for both you and your family
your one person on here that i thought wouldnt have a problem with drink as ive never heard ya on about it in the chatbox

i noticed myself having a slight problem with drink a few weeks ago to... as i was buying the slabs in the shop because there as cheap as buying a handful of cans,,, this led to me having a few drinks every few nights during the week as it was there

it can happen so easily these addictions

also i went through a bad breakup a good few years ago and it was awful i got dumped was an awful shock to the system.... and i presume your having feelings just like i had at the time plus you also have a son to think about

one thing i would recommend is exercising as much as ya can in a gym eiter running or swimming as its a very good way of taking your mind off things for an hour or two and reduces depression and improves your mood

Belloriccoefamoso
4th April, 2012, 10:57 PM
hallo
did you saw your son today?
or at least did u call him?

aleister crowley
4th April, 2012, 11:56 PM
Can I just go slightly off topic with this and ask a question?

I usually have 4-6 cans every night. I've always looked at it as a way to unwind after a days work. Never have a drink before 9pm and I don't crave or need a drink at all during a day.
Even on holiday I'm the same. Kids have all day but after 9pm it's adult time for a few hours and a few drinks.
I'm not well up on this sort of thing but would I be classed as an alcoholic/having a drink problem?

This thread has been a real eye opener.
Gary, as others have said, you have taken a real first step towards admitting you have a problem and I admire you for that. You take that positive attitude and move forward.
Remember your son and CB when you find it tough. They should be your inspiration mate and I hope you get there.

tshirtman
5th April, 2012, 12:24 AM

I usually have 4-6 cans every night. I've always looked at it as a way to unwind after a days work. Never have a drink before 9pm and I don't crave or need a drink at all during a day.
Even on holiday I'm the same. Kids have all day but after 9pm it's adult time for a few hours and a few drinks.
I'm not well up on this sort of thing but would I be classed as an alcoholic/having a drink problem?

Gary, as others have said, you have taken a real first step towards admitting you have a problem and I admire you for that. You take that positive attitude and move forward.
Remember your son and CB when you find it tough. They should be your inspiration mate and I hope you get there.

no you don't have a problem, because you control the drink,
you only have a problem when the drink controls you.

simple way to tell, try not having a drink tomorrow night and see if it bothers you.

hayd0n
5th April, 2012, 12:36 AM
KEEP STRONG MATE !!!

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 12:37 AM
ah soz didnt know you had lost ya job, what i ment was having days off thru the beer looking rough at work, not being able to do your job properly etc, that dont matter now. so now you have to keep your mind occupied thru the day to keep ya mind off the beer, i know what ya mean about not being able to sit still, up n down etc, i spent 3 days solid and nights cause i couldnt sit still when coming off the beer cleaning me flat top to bottom you could hav ate ya dinner off the floor lol

:eek: ~~~~ me 64 replies already lol

Still cant sit still mate went to the meeting though..... it was broken in to two parts with a break in between, still dont think it is for me but going to give it another couple of trys. Feeling really itchy right now and anxious.

Gary as many have said you have taken the first step I however got to this step but carried on. I am 35 years of age and have been an alcoholic for 18 of them i also lost my job and partner,in 2009 i was admitted to hospital with ketoacitosis where upon i proceeded to hallucinate through withdrawal symptoms i went round the bend and ended up assaulting a male nurse with a drip pole,i have never been violent in my life. This lead to me being arrested and denied any more treatment. I went back four months later with the same complaint,(at the time of my first spell they were unaware i was alcoholic and subsequent charges were dropped by the nhs) and was given both care for my diabetic issues as well as alcoholism withdrawal through dependency,i had three seizures during my three month stay,the third one put me into cardiac arrest. I am now free of drink since june 2009. This not a horror story for sympathy for all i have done was my own doing,but to serve a reminder of what people dont see. I attended one meeting after my release and no more there after,i have come this for on determination alone,i do not know you at all but have seen you around the forums,and when i say if i can do it all you need to know is im damn sure you can do it. if you have anything to ask please pm me. i wish you every success on what can be a long road indeed. I have been there,seen it and done it,i hope my words are of some help to you and your ultimate reward at the end is you become a far more stronger,responsible and better person.

give the meeting all you have and i hope you like god!

Wow mate glad you got through that I aim to get through this its made me do some very stupid things, someone without a alcohol problem does not see these things as caused by the alcohol but after speaking to others face to face tonight I realised its a terrible drug that will make you a different person no doubt about it.

Tell me about it mate thats what puts me off the AA the god part I have no religion, i dont want to end the meeting with a prayer that means nothing to me.

Never a truer word said whisker.....If I hadn't been through I would have been one of the first to say it can't be that hard just stop drinking....I didn't have any seizures but did suffer the palpations and hallucinations. I just wish now that there had been more shown about the seriousness of alcohol when I was younger. Not that I would have taken a blind bit of notice seeing as I started drinking at the age of 12 and was 35 when I stopped or I don't think I would have made it to 39

I dont think I am getting it to bad yet but looking at it now I have always had a issue with drink, always made excuses and always drank to excess.....well no more.

Hi garry, you're on the road to recovery. You've admitted the problem, you've told DK the losses, you're jolting yourself. It's a start and a very important one too.
You're not friendless...you've got a quarter of a million friends on here... and because of DK you have friends here who have been where you're at.
Don't shun tonights meeting, give it a chance, go a second time, gmb is an important friend to you right now.
PM gmb, come back to us, keep searching for answers and you'll find them and while doing so your mind will be otherwise occupied.
You can beat this and you will.
The DT's snapped me back years ago and it wasn't pleasant.
You haven't failed because you wouldn't be seeking help if you had.
Best of luck with the meeting, you're not unique as you will find out how common the problem is.
Will power, determination and a quarter of a million friends to help garry....go for it.

I am very very happy/ proud and over joyed from the support I have received from my fellow DK members. I cant thank use enough and I know if I need help I can count on use :)

Gary it takes a big man to come on here and admit that. Now go to your doctor and admit it to them. They will get you proffessional help and then you can get your life back. Good luck all the best.

Yeah I should go to my doctors but you have no idea how bad our doctors is to get a appointment..... seriously it is shocking I am changing surgery.

sorry to hear this gary
hope all gets sorted for both you and your family
your one person on here that i thought wouldnt have a problem with drink as ive never heard ya on about it in the chatbox

i noticed myself having a slight problem with drink a few weeks ago to... as i was buying the slabs in the shop because there as cheap as buying a handful of cans,,, this led to me having a few drinks every few nights during the week as it was there

it can happen so easily these addictions

also i went through a bad breakup a good few years ago and it was awful i got dumped was an awful shock to the system.... and i presume your having feelings just like i had at the time plus you also have a son to think about

one thing i would recommend is exercising as much as ya can in a gym eiter running or swimming as its a very good way of taking your mind off things for an hour or two and reduces depression and improves your mood

I think although it was not something I mentioned much on the SB mate was because it was a way of life for me it had became second nature to me like sparking a fag up.

I dont think as youngsters we are taught as much of the dangers of alcohol the way we are of other drugs. I think there should be a change there yes we are taught it can become addictive but not as much the damage it causes or the battle to fight the addiction or how it effects families etc.

hallo
did you saw your son today?
or at least did u call him?

No never seen him mate he is a far distance away from me but I did speak to him on the phone and told him that his daddy loves him very much and is going to do everything in his power to fix everything. I get to see him on Friday I cannot wait to see his wee face give him a big hug and a kiss, then next week I get him Thursday to the Tuesday which will be great already planning what we can do together. It's not ideal but I love my boy with all my heart hes the best thing that has ever happened to me and I will sort myself out for me, him and I hope Chelsea will take me back at some point because although she does not believe it due to stupid actions from myself I do love her with all my heart, shes my rock and my best friend..... I am a complete and utter idiot to loose such a perfect woman.

Hi mate I wouldnt say it makes you a alcoholic, can you go without it, is it effecting your life, the way you function etc.

For me I was having black outs not remembering one day from the next doing things and having no idea about them, serious mood swings, a very angry temper at times.

I would use excuses like 'a man is entitled to a drink after his work' or 'everyone has a wee drink'.....

I know now that I dont want to touch drink again I want to turn my life around I want my family I want to be a sensible person be the perfect dad and treat CB like a goddess if she will give me that chance because they are all that matter and its time for major change.

If you can handle those cans at night though mate and there not effecting parts of your life then I wouldnt say its to much of a problem.

I would drink anything with a percentage and I would not stop drinking until there was none left or the wallet was empty etc.

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 12:38 AM
Aleister......Do you find yourself clock watching waiting for the nine o'clock whistle, if so I'd be starting to miss out the odd night and trying to break the pattern

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 12:48 AM
Aleister......Do you find yourself clock watching waiting for the nine o'clock whistle, if so I'd be starting to miss out the odd night and trying to break the pattern

Yeah would agree with that at work id be counting down the time till I got a pint and also as said if you can go a night or 2 without having those cans and its not a bother then your fine Aleister.

If you find yourself doing either mate cut it back dont end up the way I have it is destroying.

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 04:38 AM
Cold turkey + AA was not the answer I feel terrible cant sleep, very dizzy, sweaty, sore..... and most importantly cant sleep.

Called NHS 24 and after a thousand and one questions got told a doctor is going to need to call me...... this could take up to a few hours.

I've failed big time.

I dont even want to get up incase I pass out but cant find the bloody remote lol..... mind you couldnt find it when I was up and about :(

lagerland
5th April, 2012, 06:53 AM
You aint failed m8 the start of the road is allways the worst part it does get easier just be strong gaz................

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 07:28 AM
as i have said gaz been there got the t-shirt more than once, your symptoms are typical of cold turkey, this is why i said come off it slowly either with beer or drugs from the docs, you will probably have another rough night then things will get a lot easier, your appetite will start to come after 3 days, your cold turkey could work in your favour now that you know what it really is like,you might be less likely to get in that state again, until you have been there you cannot understand what it like, no one can, more people who have over come their drink problems need to be working in the "recovery industry" which there is a serious lack off. keep at it gaz it does get easier with every day that passes, another reason i said get to the docs is he can give you pills to replace the vitimin B12 the potassium and other vitimins and minerals that the alcohol has "removed" from your body, another reason your feeling shite.

Snowy79
5th April, 2012, 07:53 AM
Stick in their Garry. It's going to hurt short term but long term it will pay you back ten fold. I had a relative turn up at my house 7 years ago on Xmas eve from England. He kept going to the toilet and I thought it was strange and started taking the piss out of him about being a soft Southerner and being able to handle the water. After about 6 times in an hour I asked his partner if he was OK and she broke down crying. It turned out he was a heroin addict and had fled England to get away from the wrong crowd. I literaly sat on him for 2 weeks as he went through Cold Turkey. Sleeping on the floor in the bedroom etc but he got through it. He knows it was one of the most painfull periods of his life but he is alive and has 4 kids now. In the same period he has lost about 6 fellow junkies.

You've got to focus on the long term and not the short term. Have photos of CB and your lad around the house or in your pocket and keep looking at them when it gets tough. The demons in your head will be working overtime but if you're serious you can beat them.

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hang in there gaz as gmb says the first couple of days and nights are as rough as hell but you will start feel better soon enough. Go get your pills. As said in an earlier post you will never be failure mate, no matter what set backs you have or how bad you feel, pick yourself have a shower and a shave, grab yourself some lucozade to keep your sugar levels up until you feel like eating properly again. Hold on tight to that wagon mate it's taking you on bumpy road (feels more like a ploughed field than a road) to the rest of your life and with a bit of luck the further along that road you go friends and family will start to appear at the side of the road to come along for the ride. Stay strong and positive pal.

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 08:20 AM
oh yeh the dehydration is the main reason your feeling rough as ~~~~, drink as much water as you can more so than sweet sugary drinks as these might make you :puke: atm, your guts will feel rough as ~~~~ so the lighter the stuff in there the better, this goes with food as well thin soups the best thing atm.

motortecnica
5th April, 2012, 08:39 AM
hi to you too
any words i try say....seem stupid...
could be easy "talk"... i can't sorry
for sure people will say you TONS of things
but only inside you will find power to exit from this bad problem
enrico
HELLO,I say only two words you must be strong and face your problems with patience solve that, you have to be optimistic! GREETINGS

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 09:02 AM
as i have said gaz been there got the t-shirt more than once, your symptoms are typical of cold turkey, this is why i said come off it slowly either with beer or drugs from the docs, you will probably have another rough night then things will get a lot easier, your appetite will start to come after 3 days, your cold turkey could work in your favour now that you know what it really is like,you might be less likely to get in that state again, until you have been there you cannot understand what it like, no one can, more people who have over come their drink problems need to be working in the "recovery industry" which there is a serious lack off. keep at it gaz it does get easier with every day that passes, another reason i said get to the docs is he can give you pills to replace the vitimin B12 the potassium and other vitimins and minerals that the alcohol has "removed" from your body, another reason your feeling shite.

Aah last night was terrible, im still kind of feeling that sick way but not going to be sick and still itchy as hell but not in any pain right now.

I managed to get a appointment at my doctors at 9.50 so better get ready.

Stick in their Garry. It's going to hurt short term but long term it will pay you back ten fold. I had a relative turn up at my house 7 years ago on Xmas eve from England. He kept going to the toilet and I thought it was strange and started taking the piss out of him about being a soft Southerner and being able to handle the water. After about 6 times in an hour I asked his partner if he was OK and she broke down crying. It turned out he was a heroin addict and had fled England to get away from the wrong crowd. I literaly sat on him for 2 weeks as he went through Cold Turkey. Sleeping on the floor in the bedroom etc but he got through it. He knows it was one of the most painfull periods of his life but he is alive and has 4 kids now. In the same period he has lost about 6 fellow junkies.

You've got to focus on the long term and not the short term. Have photos of CB and your lad around the house or in your pocket and keep looking at them when it gets tough. The demons in your head will be working overtime but if you're serious you can beat them.

Thanks Snowy and sorry to hear about your friend but well done for getting him over that.

I do I Have a photo of Chelsea and Monty on the coffee table that I just look at and remind myself that they are more important than any bottle or can :)

oh yeh the dehydration is the main reason your feeling rough as ~~~~, drink as much water as you can more so than sweet sugary drinks as these might make you :puke: atm, your guts will feel rough as ~~~~ so the lighter the stuff in there the better, this goes with food as well thin soups the best thing atm.

Will pick up some juice mate but really cant eat anything the now had lunch yesterday just before 12 and not had anything since cant think about eating to be honest. Dont even deserve to eat anyway mate lol.

Still not found the ~~~~ing remote!!!!!! lol

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 09:05 AM
Also ended up in tears and a terrible state last night because one of the cats let off one of the the wee mans toys...... I just feel so weak right now.

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 09:07 AM
ah docs good man, ask about the librium they do help a lot, and also ask about vitimins minerals etc what he can give you they will also help, ask about other "places" you can go that will help, tell him you have been to AA as well but its not really for you, let us know what the doc says. :top:

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 09:19 AM
I will do gmb thanks mate going to take some quick notes so i dont forget anything.

I will let you know how I get on once I get back in mate.

Thanks again really thanks.

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 09:22 AM
I will do gmb thanks mate going to take some quick notes so i dont forget anything.

I will let you know how I get on once I get back in mate.

Thanks again really thanks.

not a prob at all m8, really glad i could help thru my own experiences, its always good to talk to those who have been there, better than any help ya can get through the other routes, ( but you need them as well ;) )

Evastar
5th April, 2012, 09:46 AM
Six cans of beer equals 12 units of alcohol in one night. The recommended highest intake for a man is 20 units weekly. If you regularly exceed this you are damaging your body, especially your liver. If you must drink to that level its recommended to avoid alcohol at leastone night every few days to give your liver a chance to recover.

If you find yourself getting aggressive when you drink, or unable to spend a night without drinking then yes you probably have a drink problem.

There is a term, functional alcoholic. It means someone that drinks to a certain level but still manages to hold down a daily routine, job etc. A lot of people deny the alcohol and their behaviour is causing a problem because they only drink at certain times or only allow themselves a certain amount. It's comparable to a heroin addict on methadone, a maintenance dose. You still end up damaging your health and messing up your life, it just takes longer.

Some of the comments in this thread are very worrying. Yes people that have had a problem themselves are a great help to talk to and give support, but it is no substitute for professional advice and help. The people in the treatment centres have dealt with thousandsand what works for one isn't necessarily the right approach for the next person.

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 10:01 AM
6 cans equals 12 units :hmmmm: depends on the strength one 500ml can 9% equals 4.5 units, 1 single measure of normal spirits 1 unit, a mans allowance is 21 units per week tops, 14 for a woman tops, and i dont care what any one says a professional cannot understand what some one is going through unless they have experienced it, i have been in the "system" for over 10 years now, and of all the "professionals" i have dealt with, which is a lot, only 1 had truely been there, sure these people can help a lot, but theres no substitute for first hand experience, somethnig that is lacking in the professional side of recovery. oh and alcoholics dont normally drink weak beers they drink 7.5% white cider or super strength lagers 9%.

Grizz
5th April, 2012, 10:16 AM
you are doing great garry. keep the focus on that picture on the coffee table. first few days are the worst.

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 10:52 AM
Eva we get where your coming from but it sounds like your reading straight from the help script. You can never be prepared for the hell of dt's and without experiencing them can't comprehend the physical and mental anguish that's involved. What most professionals that have never been there forget is that to get to the stage where we admit there's a problem we have normally done or said something to a loved one at least once. That we have to live with the dt's go away what we have done that had led to us seeking help doesn't.......By no manner of means is an alcoholic looking for sympathy, we know it's our fault, but don't need to be continually reminded or treated like a child either help and support is our friend......We know the slate can never be wiped clean but will happily settle for one that still a bit dirty but clean enough to start writing the new chapter....And yes gary your posts will start to get longer and more long winded lol it's just the process of recovery that allows you to look a little deeper than what's at the end of your nose. You still need to be selfish ~~~~ for a little longer mate....it's all about you helping yourself with support from professionals and all us lot that know exactly how you feel. I always found the professionals can give the help but the true support will come from someone who's been there done that. There is no substitute

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 11:16 AM
oh and gaz, these places that are about, most of them will also have people that can help with advice on benefits, relationships, legal problems, accomodation, etc, so it is really in you benefit to find one that suits you ;) when, if ( and i hope its when ;) )you go to one of these places you will be assigned a keyworker, they will ask you questions like.... why do you drink, how much, what is the trigger that sets you off drinking blah blah blah :boring: script questions as already been mentioned, but stick with it, these peeps are really nice peeps, it will all be a benefit to you.

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 12:34 PM
My keyworker was the biggest cheeriest woman you will ever meet, and by god she was annoying at times but full of useful info..... We still meet in the street now and again and she always has and probably always will treat me as a long lost friend every time I see her. The good thing about her was she didn't preach unlike some I've met.

reddevil157
5th April, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just throwing this out there to the boys that have been through it. What about hypnosis ???....
I know mine was a different drug of choice, but I smoked like a ~~~~in train for years. When we were due to have our first kid I wanted to stop smoking, tried patches, chewing gum, will power, with no joy. Last shot was hypnosis, cost me 80 quid 8 years ago, & I haven't touched one since. What she did was, ask me the reasons why I wanted to stop, then, when she had me "hypnotised" she read these reasons back to me again & again.... now when ever I feel the urge for a cig, an image of my son pops into my head & reminds me, that he is the reason I stopped. Just wondering has it even been suggested to the lads that have been through it already ??

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 01:30 PM
Don't know if that would work. Our heads are pretty messed up. If you noticed on the earlier posts visits to the mental ward are not uncommon. It's a whole different beast mate. I stopped smoking 12 years ago and there is no comparison between the two. It may be worth asking about though. I mean for folks who catch it quick it may help.......The big problem is catching it quick,,, it's the sneekiest ~~~~er I've ever come across, by the time you realise there's a problem your already up sh1t street. By that I mean the likes of heroin and the such you know damn well before you take that first hit you will be addicted to it. But almost everybody is introduced to alcohol by there parents,,, the people who love them the most,,,, whether it be the tiny glass of wine at christmas dinner or the advocat at new year to bring in the bells. :confused:

smirnoff_rules
5th April, 2012, 02:33 PM
waiting to hear wot the doctor said ? hope he hasnt ~~~~ed off to the pub

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 02:58 PM
waiting to hear wot the doctor said ? hope he hasnt ~~~~ed off to the pub

I hope not as well but if he has then tomorrow is a new day, and 1 day of the dt's will have been for nothing. I do have more faith in him than that though, as hard as it is he is on the right road and better things follow.

Hoppy01
5th April, 2012, 03:08 PM
It takes a big man to face the music mate and hats off to you as you have taken a big step already as others have pointed out..
To accept you have a problem takes balls as its always easy to say i will do it next week, this is the most important bit imo, the will is there but it will fall flat on its arse with no proper advice..
Get yourself to your doctor as he is the proper man to see, we could bang on all day but the first stop is the docs..

Keep your head up as we have "all" went over the top at some point in our lives with one form or another with addiction..
A went for about a year in a drug driven haze, started out as a weekend warrior and it moved to every day in a short time..

What pisses me off is the Yanks approach, especially some of the stars who seem to use it as a cool thing to do..
There is nothing cool, funny or easy about rehab or quitting a long addiction, its ~~~~in horrible, as it should be..

Whether you quit first time is up to you and depends on how much you really want to put it behind you, it may take a few attempts..

Whatever happens a wish you all the luck in the world mate..

kendo45
5th April, 2012, 03:10 PM
i sort of know how you feel m8, i sometimes do the same thing just i havnt lost my gf yet.

tshirtman
5th April, 2012, 04:15 PM
In the hospital I work, we do offer CBT, Hypnosis, and Acupuncture, to recovering alcoholics, but not until there fully detoxed(with the help of meds) and have been on the wagon,
for a couple of months, because until then there heads are all over the place, plus they have to prove they are committed, these kind of treatments don't come cheap, especially CBT.
and if you want an honest opinion, we find we get the best results(for abstinence) from acupuncture.

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 04:39 PM
i was offered accupuncture which i tried and it does work, hot stones, hypnosis, relaxation, massages which i obviously tried ;) lol and all sorts of groups some which i tried, the wells road centre in nottingham which had a day unit for alcohol/drug recovery got me on to the road to recovery ( closed now :( ) i met peeps in there in the same boat so talking to them helped a lot, they had pooters in there which got me hooked on them so a brought digital camera once i had photographed the whole of notts i thought hmmmmm need more here so got a car 50,000 miles l8r half of the peak district photographed, my point is you need to focus your energies on something u like doing to take your mind off the beer, the one thing that keeps me off the beer heavy is my car, if i didnt have it i might end up back to square one ( although thats unlikely now ), dont get me wrong i fell off the wagon quite a few times, but stuck with it and now i can have beer a know i have to stop or will loose everything ive grafted for :)

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 04:57 PM
My focus was taking taking my employer to tribunal 3 times seeing I was now sober enough to realise how much he was ripping me off....Thick ~~~~ it took losing 3 times before he realised I wouldn't stand for it, but hours of research in employment law kept me busy.

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hi guys sorry not ~~~~ed off to the pub just kept myself very busy today with tidying and more tidying and getting upset etc but I have not drank a thing.

Get this the doctor has made me a appointment with this place that will access the right treatment/ detox for me..... fair enough and I should hear back from them within 5 days so thats good.

Heres my but though the doctor has prescribed me diazepam (even though I have told him that I was misusing them and seeking them illegally) the ones i had were 10mg he gave me 5mg and said take 3 times a day this should help with the dt's. He has also adviced that I continue to drink a small amount each day because apparently dt's can kill 1 in 10 people, and because I am by myself with no one around he considers this to be the safer option. He said get a small bottle of drink of something and make it last me the full day.

So I took one of the diazepam and it did seem to calm the dt's, starting to come back so think I will take another one (will stick to just the three) BUT <-- yep another but I dont want to drink I feel as if I follow that guideline that I will be taking a step back..... Does that make sense?

smirnoff_rules
5th April, 2012, 06:31 PM
remember these are real tablets m8 so odds are there 10 times stronger than the over the wall ones .. l see wot his saying about comin off the drink slower but l wouldnt be able to do that if l had your problem .. if u dont want a drink dont .. remember the doctor hasnt the problem u have

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 06:33 PM
Makes perfect sense mate. This is what we were talking about, the doc will always recommend that you consume a small amount of alcohol but only you will know how you feel about it. I knew it had to be nothing at all for me. You should have told the doc the diazapam weren't strong enough and got a load of 10 mg sold the ~~~~in lot and booked somewhere in the sun to give you something to aim at. It's good to hear you are staying strong. Joking aside though if the pills are helping keep taking them as instructed but don't let yourself jump from one addiction to the other

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 06:40 PM
remember these are real tablets m8 so odds are there 10 times stronger than the over the wall ones .. l see wot his saying about comin off the drink slower but l wouldnt be able to do that if l had your problem .. if u dont want a drink dont .. remember the doctor hasnt the problem u have

Makes perfect sense mate. This is what we were talking about, the doc will always recommend that you consume a small amount of alcohol but only you will know how you feel about it. I knew it had to be nothing at all for me. You should have told the doc the diazapam weren't strong enough and got a load of 10 mg sold the ~~~~in lot and booked somewhere in the sun to give you something to aim at. It's good to hear you are staying strong. Joking aside though if the pills are helping keep taking them as instructed but don't let yourself jump from one addiction to the other

See I said that to the doctor I said there would be no such thing as me managing to make a drink last me all day or just have the one. For instance if I went out right now bought myself 20 cans a beer and said i was only going to drink a couple each day that would not happen I would have everyone of them tanned. If I bought a small bottle of vodka and tried to have just a couple id have that wee bottle downed in no time and be back to the shops with a bigger order.

So I am going to do it without drink at all I know myself and I know just a little wont work.

happy_highlander
5th April, 2012, 07:17 PM
Just look after yourself mate and remember nothing to strenuous for long periods. You probably won't have the energy anyway. Plenty water to replace the sweat your probably floating around in, keeping your fluid levels up will keep the sore heads to a bearable level and will keep you pissin out the toxins. We are all behind you mate

gmb45
5th April, 2012, 07:25 PM
the doc will just be following the guide lines, if you can do it with out the beer thats all good, if ya need to just drop a couple more of the prescribed diazapam down ya neck it should do the trick, saying that i was rattling bad once and took 4 of the fat ens 5mg diazapam they had no affect :hmmmm: i was to ill to get to the docs to had to do it with beer, she was there tho so i couldnt go over the top.

bobwill
5th April, 2012, 07:50 PM
Try and keep off drinks like red bull which are full of caffine and strong coffee as you will have problems resting or sleeping when you start to get over the dts, I know a lot of young alcholics mix red bull with vodka with deadly consequences for them
Have any female members heard from CB she probably also needs some one to talk to ,unfortunately people with a drink problem always seem to hurt the one they love

masur123
5th April, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your probs Gaz.

Having suffered various addictions through my life, and got off most of them. I can only advise you to consider your end goal in all your decisions you make about alcohol.

If having one wont hurt, then make sure it is only one and not six. This will help achieve mini victories that will have a snowball effect with you confidence to believe in yourself.

As some have said on here already, alcohol is only addictive if you let it be. Be the stronger man and rule the drink and not let the drink ruin you.

Long road ahead for you, but a journey worth taking. Get out your map and follow it!

Good luck

Sirus
5th April, 2012, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear of your probs garry... you've defo got yourself into a rut.

As ridiculous as this may sound, best way to lift yourself up is to wake up tomorrow and instead of trying to go at it "cold turkey"(which is proper suffering).. since you are alone and have no family near by, you need to change your mind state. (here comes the crazy part).. You can do this by taking 4 cold showers a day, for about 4-5 mins a time. Combine them with some endurance exercises, this gives a mini sense of acheivement... either do slow heavy weights or press ups. even handstands up against the wall for long periods of time.The endurance of doing these releases toxins in the brain that makes your mind feel strong again.

its a fact that this works, it will lift your mood and maybe change your thinking a little, enough to not confide in drink all the time

Maybe you can try something like that if you're suffering bad, ..will help with the shakes too, and stop all them lager calories going towards a beer gut.

Good luck

patkins
5th April, 2012, 10:41 PM
Garry were all pulling for you, you've tried AA and you've seen the Doc. and things are beginning to happen for you.
As gmb says no one knows better how you feel than yourself.
Hang in there.

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 11:43 PM
Right got sick of the house and all the tidying and being on my own so decided to go to my fav pub in Falkirk this time I was by myself no mum and sister and law there.

I had 3 cokes and 3 lemonade and blackcurrents.

Now this place serves my favourite beer on draught you wont see it about much i see it in no pubs well another one in Edinburgh.

After my 3rd coke I was sick of coke its just to gassy or whatever so I asked if they had any alcohol free beer to which I was told nope there was no market for the stuff in there bar lol. I have to admit I thought about ordering my fav pint but I never I went on to lemonades and blackcurrent.

Have to say pretty chuffed with myself there was no one there that could have said dont do it I choose not to drink myself :)

Not only that I have a application in with them for a job and as they were extremely busy I offered to help out was told that I couldnt because of insurance and there license but was very thrilled that I asked shook my hand and asked my name again :)

Bulld0g
5th April, 2012, 11:47 PM
Well done Garry, That's another day off the booze. You're doing really well, stick with it m8 :)

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 11:53 PM
Well done Garry, That's another day off the booze. You're doing really well, stick with it m8 :)

And as I said I did think about buying that pint but I have CB and our son in my head (I wont get CB back but wont stop loving her so wont stop trying :) )

You no what as well mate I had a good time kept myself to myself most of the time but enjoyed the atmosphere :)

Bulld0g
5th April, 2012, 11:56 PM
Never say never m8 :) Stick at it and show her you've changed forever, gone back to the man she knew and you never know ;)

garry1312
5th April, 2012, 11:59 PM
That boat has sailed sadly mate I am under no false illusions.

I hate these dt's but the diazepam is helping in a way but you wish they would just remove the symptoms and not leave you feeling buzzing if that makes sense.

aleister crowley
6th April, 2012, 12:26 AM
That boat has sailed sadly mate I am under no false illusions.

I hate these dt's but the diazepam is helping in a way but you wish they would just remove the symptoms and not leave you feeling buzzing if that makes sense.

You never know garry. She's loved you through the bad times and that takes a commitment that not a lot of women will show. She's frightened mate but both for you and your son.
You need to show her that you are serious about this and I don't doubt it. You've done extremely well up to now and just take it one day at a time.

Keep going. We are all rooting for you to come out of this.

happy_highlander
6th April, 2012, 12:26 AM
Well done mate that's another one in the bag...You are well on the way to each day getting easier...As strong as you feel I think the pub was a bit brave at this early stage and I'm glad it worked out for you, but on the other hand that's another feather in your cap and another challenge set and passed, keep up the good work.

garry1312
6th April, 2012, 01:11 AM
You never know garry. She's loved you through the bad times and that takes a commitment that not a lot of women will show. She's frightened mate but both for you and your son.
You need to show her that you are serious about this and I don't doubt it. You've done extremely well up to now and just take it one day at a time.

Keep going. We are all rooting for you to come out of this.

That's it though mate she dont love me anymore there's nothing I can do to change that she has said so as much herself, she will never be with me again.

She doesnt believe that my behaviour is down to alcohol and black outs and the ~~~~ed up frame of mind.

When me and Chelsea first got together I took cocaine regularly,
amphetamines, ecstasy and smoked cannabis (still have the odd smoke) but I gave all that up for a life with her. The one thing I never managed to tackle was the drink I have always been a heavy drinker from the moment I started drinking.

When I took cocaine I was on a high wage and using it a lot managed to pack that in, stopped smoking on the 30th of January there and was a heavy smoker now I am going to tackle the drink and I will win that battle also.

Well done mate that's another one in the bag...You are well on the way to each day getting easier...As strong as you feel I think the pub was a bit brave at this early stage and I'm glad it worked out for you, but on the other hand that's another feather in your cap and another challenge set and passed, keep up the good work.

Well mate although I have a good career I also used to work as a barman and even at the same time with my career I loved that line of work, I want to get back in to it and knock my good career in the head as its lately crushed me. So I dont want to be scared of bars or pouring someone else a drink in a job manner or for this addiction to say i cant socialise in bars.

Seriously is it just me or is these dt's worse at night I have been reasonably ok today and as said a valium helped but right now its getting bad again and there not helping.

Canker_Canison
6th April, 2012, 03:05 AM
Wow, that lot took some reading.

I've never had a problem with alcohol, except the inability to keep it in my stomach. It's been over 12 years since I last drank. Now I'm not, or ever will be, an alcoholic so can't possibly begin to understand what it's like. But when things get to me I do feel the urge to drink. But my goal is to stay tea total... I hope you show the same determination you are now when you slip a little.

I have no magical cure for your relationship. But I'd be surprised if CB has lost all of her feelings for you. What's more likely is that she's building a mental wall to try & protect herself. That & keep you at a distance while things settle down. It's obvious you are trying to shield yourself from the possibility of rekindling your relationship, but there might still be a chance. It will probably take longer to regain her trust than it does to kick the worst of the withdrawls... Just don't close your heart to her completely.

There are a lot of good people on DK, use them. Being alone during any mental problem is never easy. During my depression days I took solace in my dog...I talked to her for hours. You have with you the best friend you could ever want. So when you feel down, talk to the dog... share your fears & worries with a feeling creature that can't repeat what it hears.

Good luck

gmb45
6th April, 2012, 08:28 AM
sound ya doing brill m8, after today ya should be feeling something like, as a rule 3 days to get over the dts, stick with it your nearly there :D

happy_highlander
6th April, 2012, 10:11 AM
Don't get me wrong mate, I didn't mean to stay out of bars, I still go to the pub quite a lot but day 2 can be the hardest, but your past it and todays a new day, the same grit and determination you have showed for the past couple of days will get you through the next couple and as gmb says your almost through the dt's and to answer your other question my dt's were all day but I used to drink all day, as you said you used start when you got in from work so it'll just be the little habit demons making you feel worse in the evening. For me it was worse first thing in the morning cause that's when the first can used to make all the pain go away. Chin up mate your fighting a good fight.

mouss800
6th April, 2012, 10:42 AM
hi Gary

i would like to say that you have done already the first step , which is admitting that alcohol has caused alot of trouble .
trust me , we have been brought up in a soceity thinking that we cant live with out alcohol, which is wrong . water , most defintely but not alcohol.
it is just a matter of how strong you need to be to get rid of it. alcohol brings you nothing , other than being and act silly and the worst of all become an alcoholic. plus the amount of money that costs .

think of this way, how could i pay for the poison i take . it is poison, alcohol, cuase it brings no benefit at all. like you said , you have lost yr family .
is it really worth it? just get rid of the damn habit. and start surrounding yr self by non drinking friends . which there are many of out there .
good luck to you dude and i hope yr family will see that and try to help you and not make feel abandened .
but i will say this , dont do it just for the family , do it for yr self first and you will get rid of it

thnx

cactikid
6th April, 2012, 10:50 AM
wow garry you are doing better than expected,pity about gmbh45 advertising his beers, like a carrot and the donkey on his posts lol,there are plenty of friends for you and cb which i also sent a pm of support for both of you and not to give up,all i can say is keep at it as there are brighter days ahead.

gmb45
6th April, 2012, 10:59 AM
wow garry you are doing better than expected,pity about gmbh45 advertising his beers, like a carrot and the donkey on his posts lol,there are plenty of friends for you and cb which i also sent a pm of support for both of you and not to give up,all i can say is keep at it as there are brighter days ahead.

av got the beer cracked m8 ;) when a go into pubs now days its for food n tea :eek: yes your reading it right lol and the odd pint of shandy :puke: pubs days for me is some where to stop off when im out in the peak district walking, dont get me wrong i have a few cans a night, but always know where to draw the line, very different from 6 years ago when i would drink till in a coma :(

cactikid
6th April, 2012, 11:21 AM
yep i also go to the pub 5 days a week but only for food and the scenery lol,make it 4 days this week.

happy_highlander
6th April, 2012, 11:34 AM
You lot must all be ~~~~in loaded going to pub that often. What pisses me of more than anything is that when I go to the bar for a round of drinks it costs me as much for my pint of fresh orange and lemonade as does for the pints of beer for the other lads. Where's the ~~~~in incentive not to drink?? We now have an agreement though where I take the car and they buy the fresh orange :)

rds60h
6th April, 2012, 12:04 PM
Gary1312, Sorry for your situation but I must praise you for admitting the problem and started taking action.My late brother was an alcoholic and unfortunately it is a life long thing but he did beat the drinking (he died from a heart problem - not the alcohol).
Keep doing what you are doing, everything in your life can change around even those things you now think are impossible.
As for the DTs, you may also get anxiety tremors which you may think are the DTs so a word with the doctor to explain may help. I have Depression and Anxiety and suffer with anxiety tremors so I know what you mean about the tremors they do get to you.
Stick at it and good luck to you.

blueflash234
6th April, 2012, 12:26 PM
garry i came from a town 10 miles from you and you know the pub is a way of life its where you do everything, the hard thing is weaning yourself of the lifestyle and participating in a new lifestyle there's a lot more to life than the pub you just have to find a good balance thats will suit you and move forward ,,good luck m8

ploob
6th April, 2012, 02:11 PM
one of my family friends was a heavy drinker, but after his beautiful daughter was born, he stopped for awhile to take care of her.
after awhile he couldn't take it anymore and continued drinking. His grandchild will be due in a few months and hopefully he'll stop soon as well. the birth of a child is magical.

garry1312
7th April, 2012, 03:39 AM
not drank today again guys once again had family up went to my fav place with the fav pint never had a drink go me. I am actually starting to enjoy fighting this now its not easy but its like saying a '~~~~ you' to a big scary monster without fear lol.

garry1312
7th April, 2012, 03:56 AM
Nowadays cigarette packets have to have all these warnings on them such as there addictive, they will damage your heart, give you lung cancer, mouth cancer the list goes on. Why do we not see the same messages on alcohol?? at the end of the day out of any drug cigarettes and alcohol kill more people than any other drug. More people die each year from smoking than heroin use, more people die from alcohol than heroin. Ok heroin can kill instant and in no means am I condoning the use of heroin or any other drug but were is the awareness about the misuse of alcohol, why do we not get the dangers of alcohol drummed in to our head like other drugs. A drug like cannabis which doesnt cause violence, addiction etc is illegal and supposedly bad yet alcohol is seen as acceptable but has much worse consequences. Rant over.

Magjar
7th April, 2012, 04:35 AM
Hey Garry,

I wish you the best in this fight. You have admitted you have a problem, one of the biggest obstacles to overcome. I would recommend that you get some family members or friends to help support you, tell your mum and sister if you haven't yet, change up your habits some, and don't spend too much time alone. The more you have to fight it the more weary you may become.

Once again, form a support system around yourself, including family, friends and activities away from drink. Also, when you speak with your doctor, you may want to consider asking about Antabuse (disulfiram), may help out in moments of weakness.

Best of luck mate.

Grizz
7th April, 2012, 08:37 AM
Nowadays cigarette packets have to have all these warnings on them such as there addictive, they will damage your heart, give you lung cancer, mouth cancer the list goes on. Why do we not see the same messages on alcohol?? at the end of the day out of any drug cigarettes and alcohol kill more people than any other drug. More people die each year from smoking than heroin use, more people die from alcohol than heroin. Ok heroin can kill instant and in no means am I condoning the use of heroin or any other drug but were is the awareness about the misuse of alcohol, why do we not get the dangers of alcohol drummed in to our head like other drugs. A drug like cannabis which doesnt cause violence, addiction etc is illegal and supposedly bad yet alcohol is seen as acceptable but has much worse consequences. Rant over.

governments arent so quick to police drugs like alcohol and tobacco. lots of tax money on the line there....

happy_highlander
7th April, 2012, 09:28 AM

Haha told you your posts would start to get longer, well done on another clear day and by the content if this post you are well in the way recovery as your feelings about alcohol have clearly changed. This is what I was on about earlier not only does it have almost no warnings, it is encouraged. almost all of us have been introduced to alcohol by family members, yes you are told to drink sensibly but that's usually just so you don't make tw@ of yourself not because you might become addicted to it.

cactikid
8th April, 2012, 10:18 AM
looking good m8 i hope you have a great easter and enjoy loads of chocolate eggs,onwards and upwards you will go.

lagerland
8th April, 2012, 10:30 AM
Keep at it gaz have a good one mate hold in there be lucky m8.................

Bulld0g
8th April, 2012, 10:38 PM
How are you getting on garry? Keep us informed and upto date m8 :)

garry1312
9th April, 2012, 01:49 PM
Very close to ~~~~ing up but not going to mate just to many arguments going on that or having this or that thrown in my face which is making me want to reach to a bottle but I am not going to let it get the better of me :)

Bulld0g
9th April, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hang in there mate it will get easier

jordigirl
9th April, 2012, 03:26 PM
hi garry, wishing you luck on ya quest to ditch the demon drink,
sorry to her about all ya problems, and i hope you get them all sorted :), try keeping busy, but also relaxing when needing to,
also reading you lost your job, hope you have sorted out all the benefits you will be entitled to, you made not need money at the moment but it helps if its all in place to keep you from stressing about it later,
dont have much experience about alcohol problems so cant offer any decent advice,
but like rest of DK am hpe you get sorted, and am here if you need to chat
:)
keep it up, will get easier and better :)

happy_highlander
9th April, 2012, 04:34 PM
Very close to ~~~~ing up but not going to mate just to many arguments going on that or having this or that thrown in my face which is making me want to reach to a bottle but I am not going to let it get the better of me :)

Try and stay away from the stress as much as you can mate. I know it's not easy but it's not helping you either. Just explain to all concerned that you are not trying to duck out of whatever you have done and you will answer all questions regarding your behaviour in a couple of weeks, but just to give you a chance to dump the demon's before you can start to move on. Unfortunately the people that haven't been through this really don't understand the difficulty's you are facing. It is difficult for them to understand that you actually do give a sh1t which is why you are putting yourself through this hell, so that you can sit down and be civil without flying of the handle cause you've had a few or because you are chomping at the bit to have a few. If that means going and getting stoned then go do it and calm yourself down so you can stay on track, or just take an extra couple of them pills the doc gave you, either way will work.
Stay strong mate and if you need to talk you know where the pm button is. As you know I will never judge you on your past. Been there done that and probably a lot more to boot. It's not what you need at this time...The time will come to answer questions but it is support that is required at this time and if that can't be given then they must give you space, to deal with this, One day at a time mate and one problem at a time is the way forward....Keep it calm and keep it simple.

garry1312
9th April, 2012, 04:34 PM
thanks Jordi :) am ok :)

smirnoff_rules
9th April, 2012, 04:36 PM
your doing great gaz ..just keep going m8 .. does your wife know wot your doing ?

u need to try and get through to her that she isnt helping at the minute by stressing u out

cactikid
9th April, 2012, 04:49 PM
i do hope she is keeping an eye on whats going on and not turned her back on you altogether,so keep at it for all your sakes.

wayne123
9th April, 2012, 04:55 PM
garry mate im reading your post and thinking that she must have loved you so much to put up with what she did right first thing only you can do something about it try this every time you feel like a drink think of your childs life with you not in it if that doesnt sobber you up nothing will as for the other thing when she sees the effort you are making who knows life seems bad now but leave the drink alone and i promise you it WILL get better good luck mate ps your childs counting on you

jordigirl
10th April, 2012, 06:18 PM
how you getting on today garry? hope u are doing ok still :)

monty5
10th April, 2012, 08:11 PM
hi garry ive been in a smilar situation and still fall off the wagon now and again its the hardest thing in the world but keep talking and try going for walks when you feel stressed ..... dont beat yourself up too much about the past its the future that matters now .. good luck m8.

ecufix
11th April, 2012, 03:41 PM
Its all about money and taxes , pity though

rds60h
11th April, 2012, 05:53 PM
"Well mate although I have a good career I also used to work as a barman and even at the same time with my career I loved that line of work, I want to get back in to it and knock my good career in the head as its lately crushed me. So I dont want to be scared of bars or pouring someone else a drink in a job manner or for this addiction to say i cant socialise in bars."

Garry, I read in a earlier post from Jordiegirl on this thread that you had lost your job ?
I hope that is not the case, as I was going to comment on your remark above about having a good career and I was going to say don't contemplate leaving it to do the bar work which you say you enjoyed. Unfortunately, the "enjoyment" won't pay the bills and it will put temptation in your life too much of the time at the moment. Best to stick to the "good job" at the moment even if it is making you feel crushed, in fact it may be a good idea to explain to them what is happening in your life at the moment as some employers are very sympathetic and helpful in these situations.

Anyway, keep at it and good luck.

shilo
11th April, 2012, 06:00 PM
go to gp and ask for referal to speak with alcohol liason team at your nhs hospital ask for a 2 week detox programme, it happened to me and i needed 4 hospital visits before i finaly stopped drinking, thats when they told me on the fourth admission that if i did not stop drinking i would be dead within 12 months.i lost my family but when i eventually stopped drinking they had me back. it was very hard for me daily i lost my job and would drink 3 bottles of wine a day and half abottle of spirits. it was killing me. i have the hospital to thank for saving me. act now, before too late .good luck.

super jumbe
11th April, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just go to Saudi Ara*** for holiday with a bag full of bear, get caught end up in jail for 5 years I am shore you will forget drinking alcohol for good???..

:viking: :puke: :viking:

lagerland
11th April, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just go to Saudi Ara*** for holiday with a bag full of bear, get caught end up in jail for 5 years I am shore you will forget drinking alcohol for good***8230;***8230;***8230;..

:viking: :puke: :viking:

very constructive not SJ im sure that will help gary no end nice 1.................

monty5
11th April, 2012, 08:24 PM
hope yer ok today m8 just keep positive.

young
11th April, 2012, 10:21 PM
Gary, i'll get straight to it,
2 weeks ago my life was rocked,no not rocked torn appart. this is the first time i've been on dk propper since,and only just seen your post.
my 4 and a half year old son was diagnosed with leakemia, at first me and the wife thought the worst(which parent wouldnt),but over the last 2 week we have been with him at RMCH, where he has started an intense corse of chemo and other drugs, today we got news that he is responding really well to the treatment and that he will be allowed home next week, but we will have to go back every wednesday for the next 3 year for chemo. so to my point,
Life is short we all do things we are not proud of,but most things can be fixed, and you can get through this because like me you have a love for your child a love that only a father can have and you want to do it for him. i hope you sort things out mate i cant start to think where your head is right now but you have the most beutiful gift any man can have and thats you little one

regards young

jordigirl
12th April, 2012, 06:56 PM
so sorry to hear that young :( hope you and your family are coping well, its a long hard road ahead but am sure you's will all get through it, young kids are so resilient and cope really well with things
hope he's better soon :)

patkins
12th April, 2012, 09:54 PM
Best of luck to your son and having both of you with him can only help his recovery more.

garry1312
13th April, 2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks young all the best to your son and thinking about your family at this time.

OOh I have my boy for 6 days the now......no CB but a man can dream eh?

steppenwolf
13th April, 2012, 10:49 AM
I just saw this. Sorry for your problem mate.

One very close member of my family had the same issues. He was drinking and using the all kind of medicine with alcohol especially from the benziodizepam family (Clonazepam, KsaLoll, diazepam and all kind of anti depresant). Things started to be worse and worse.

Finally we have found one clinic with powerful methods in healing these problems. The clinic is from Russia and you have their franchise in Belgrade and in Switzerland I think. No EU countries.

Doctors said that the worse thing is drugs using than alcohol.

So my **** went to the clinic and whole treatman is very short, about two weeks. After that he came out as a totally different man. Sober for several months now.

It`s also a bit expensive cause we had to pay 2.500 euros for 15 days but it helped mate.

Think about it. It can change your life again.

You have my full support to beat that problem of yours cause I know how hard that can be. It ruined our family mate and three beautyfull children will have traumas for the rest of their life.

Lainie
13th April, 2012, 04:07 PM
@ garry i have only read page 1 on this thread (sorry not been on for ages). good on you admitting your problem and trying to sort yourself out. i have said things several times on this forum about not drinking and every time i have been slated for it!!! in my opinion if you cannot live your life without drinking nearly every day then you have a problem - end of.

i mentioned last yr when my niece was pregnant, and her other half saying he would give up the drink while she was pregnant hardly lasted a week i got pelters and comments saying why should he etc.

i hardly touch drink now - my choice. mostly money probs as i have a thousand other things to spend it on.

drink is not the b all and end all of life

i so hope you get yourself sorted. yes you know you have apologies to make and i hope to god people forgive you.

getting drunk and not remembering what you did the day before might be fun for others but its no decent way to live your life.

all the best to you and keep me posted.

berley
15th April, 2012, 02:23 PM
firstly UNTIL you can see your doctor DONT just stop drinking it can cause alcoholic fits and worse

you need to get something for the withdrawl symptoms from the docs

I'm no expert and there's some brilliant advice on here.

Since this thread is now 11 pages long I thought it was worth quoting the above for anyone who's might have missed it.

@ Garry do this for yourself, you cant change your past but you can change your future, apologise to those you've hurt once your well on your road to recovery. I wish you all the very best. xx

garry1312
15th April, 2012, 04:55 PM
First of sorry guys not been on have got the wee man since Thursday there until Tuesday so been very busy lol. Great to have him and at 16 months the coolest guy in the world to hang around with. I am dreading him leaving on Tuesday though, I have been so paranoid that I have made a makeshift bed outside his bedroom door out of quilts incase anything happens during the night or anyone takes him away from me again :(

Still off the drink and not taking the diazepam anymore be it legally or illegally. I have went out a couple of times for a meal and had a pint but then my second drink has been a cola or something non alcoholic.

My aim would be if possible to continue that way to be able to have a pint if out for a meal just the one and not drink at all at home. Still to seek advice if that is responsible or not though so if I am told I cant have a pint when out for a meal then so be it.

CB is still sadly over with me has told me I have not changed (I believe I have) she believes I wont change. I dont blame her her the amounts of times I have let her down disrespected her etc. It's just hard hearing its over and that someone no longer loves you or even likes you. So it's time for me to give up there because honestly I have tried but she is always going to feel the same way and the only person to blame here is me.

@ garry i have only read page 1 on this thread (sorry not been on for ages). good on you admitting your problem and trying to sort yourself out. i have said things several times on this forum about not drinking and every time i have been slated for it!!! in my opinion if you cannot live your life without drinking nearly every day then you have a problem - end of.

i mentioned last yr when my niece was pregnant, and her other half saying he would give up the drink while she was pregnant hardly lasted a week i got pelters and comments saying why should he etc.

i hardly touch drink now - my choice. mostly money probs as i have a thousand other things to spend it on.

drink is not the b all and end all of life

i so hope you get yourself sorted. yes you know you have apologies to make and i hope to god people forgive you.

getting drunk and not remembering what you did the day before might be fun for others but its no decent way to live your life.

all the best to you and keep me posted.

Yes Lainie I probably owe you a apology as I remember the thread relating to your neices man drinking during pregnancy and I was one of those members that fought alcohols side.

I now realise for many years I have made excuse after excuse for drinking here are just a few examples:

+ Every man is entitled to a drink after his work.
+ It's not that much
+ I have had a stressful day
+ I need it to calm down

I now realise after stopping the behaviour it caused, the damage it was doing to my health.

Now I see my actions in a new light and I dont like the me I look back on all I can do is be a better person in future and alcohol certainly will not be involved.

People will forgive me Lainie but sadly the only person I really want forgiveness from will never forgive me. I have lost her and I will be kicking myself forever.

I'm no expert and there's some brilliant advice on here.

Since this thread is now 11 pages long I thought it was worth quoting the above for anyone who's might have missed it.

@ Garry do this for yourself, you cant change your past but you can change your future, apologise to those you've hurt once your well on your road to recovery. I wish you all the very best. xx

Thanks and yes there has been fantastic advice on DK and I am thankful to everyone that has posted on this thread :)

happy_highlander
15th April, 2012, 05:15 PM
First of sorry guys not been on have got the wee man since Thursday there until Tuesday so been very busy lol. Great to have him and at 16 months the coolest guy in the world to hang around with. I am dreading him leaving on Tuesday though, I have been so paranoid that I have made a makeshift bed outside his bedroom door out of quilts incase anything happens during the night or anyone takes him away from me again :(

Still off the drink and not taking the diazepam anymore be it legally or illegally. I have went out a couple of times for a meal and had a pint but then my second drink has been a cola or something non alcoholic.

My aim would be if possible to continue that way to be able to have a pint if out for a meal just the one and not drink at all at home. Still to seek advice if that is responsible or not though so if I am told I cant have a pint when out for a meal then so be it.

CB is still sadly over with me has told me I have not changed (I believe I have) she believes I wont change. I dont blame her her the amounts of times I have let her down disrespected her etc. It's just hard hearing its over and that someone no longer loves you or even likes you. So it's time for me to give up there because honestly I have tried but she is always going to feel the same way and the only person to blame here is me.

Yes Lainie I probably owe you a apology as I remember the thread relating to your neices man drinking during pregnancy and I was one of those members that fought alcohols side.

I now realise for many years I have made excuse after excuse for drinking here are just a few examples:

+ Every man is entitled to a drink after his work.
+ It's not that much
+ I have had a stressful day
+ I need it to calm down

I now realise after stopping the behaviour it caused, the damage it was doing to my health.

Now I see my actions in a new light and I dont like the me I look back on all I can do is be a better person in future and alcohol certainly will not be involved.

People will forgive me Lainie but sadly the only person I really want forgiveness from will never forgive me. I have lost her and I will be kicking myself forever.

Thanks and yes there has been fantastic advice on DK and I am thankful to everyone that has posted on this thread :)

Good to hear you're still fighting a good fight mate, if you feel you can cope with 1 pint during a meal and stop at that then that's the way forward for you. Just don't start making those excuses again for another then another or you'll be back in the same boat. As long as you are controlling the amount and keeping a close eye on yourself you will be fine. But I can see where cb says she doesn't think you'll change. If you have told her you will never drink again and have now started having a pint when out for a meal she isn't going to believe you have changed. She will be thinking it's only a matter of time before he's back on it full time. Now is your chance to prove her wrong, show you are stronger for what has happened and that you can keep a lid on it. Good luck, keep fighting and stay strong, Tuesday is going to be hard day mate don't let it grind you down. You know where I am if you need to talk.

garry1312
15th April, 2012, 05:41 PM
No its more to do with that mate she does not like me anymore end of :/ I know now with a clear head (which ive not had in years) how much of a prat I have been to her over the years. I dont deserve her sadly im head over heels in love I wish I never drank and my behaviour would have been different.

Just getting ready the now to take the wee man out for his dinner. he has not had his afternoon nap so end up falling asleep on the way there like he done yesterday lol. So thought id use the time to go home and tidy up his mess lol..... woke up at the door lol.

Ooh and wont be having alcohol with my meal just something soft :)

garry1312
15th April, 2012, 05:51 PM
Also mate no longer any excuses any reason I give myself to drink, smoke or take anything is not a reason it is just an excuse I dont need it.

Was right enough wee man is getting tired rubbing his wee eyes. Will still go but think ill find myself eating dinner myself lol.

happy_highlander
15th April, 2012, 05:51 PM
That could be a good choice mate that way you won't form another habit, even if it's just a one pint habit, I'm sorry to hear you feel that all is lost with cb, but as long as you can both stay civil for the wee mans sake it'll give him some sort of stability, there's plenty good kids out there mate who's mum and dad don't live together. Only thing you can do is concentrate on what's best for monty, he'll keep you on the straight and narrow cause rest assured visitation rights will be the first to go if you get back into a mess, I'm sure your aware of this and is most likely your driving force to get as far as you have, so well done you:)

garry1312
15th April, 2012, 06:00 PM
That could be a good choice mate that way you won't form another habit, even if it's just a one pint habit, I'm sorry to hear you feel that all is lost with cb, but as long as you can both stay civil for the wee mans sake it'll give him some sort of stability, there's plenty good kids out there mate who's mum and dad don't live together. Only thing you can do is concentrate on what's best for monty, he'll keep you on the straight and narrow cause rest assured visitation rights will be the first to go if you get back into a mess, I'm sure your aware of this and is most likely your driving force to get as far as you have, so well done you:)

Well ive had him for 6 days then after that we will have him 3 and a half days each. Shame we could not work things out because it now holds us both back from careers etc a routine like that but I will be seen my son a equal amount.

Totally focused on him mate and never have I spent this length of time with him due to work and being a dick, but these few days have been the best ever. I appreciate now though also the work a stay at home mum puts in lol. But loved every minute of it and will always be looking forward to him coming to see me.

Sadly us being civil does not seem to work at the moment but at least we have came to that agreement of 3 and a half days each or equal times with our son.

I cant and dont think I will ever see me forgiving myself for hurting and loosing CB honestly fellow DK members she is one amazing lassie and sadly I have been a selfish ...... and let a woman like that slip.

cactikid
15th April, 2012, 07:43 PM
keep up the great work you are doing well,i dont think anyone could ask more of you m8

garry1312
16th April, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks mate. Went out last night for dinner with the wee man to a local italian there was a singer there the wee man loved it was dancing and clapping away lol.

Treated myself to the lobster and monkfish thermidor.

Was a really good night with my wee boy and as usual got compliments on how well behaved he is when he is out.

Was only one thing (person) missing and it was not a pint.

jordigirl
16th April, 2012, 02:51 PM
am pleased to hear your still doing well garry, do this for you and your son,

cb needs time, you can't just change in a week or 2, so maybe a few months down the line things will look different to her,
at least your still getting to see your son, consentrate on that and keeping off the drink for now, you never know in the future what happens

good luck, keep it up your doing brilliant

garry1312
16th April, 2012, 05:08 PM
am pleased to hear your still doing well garry, do this for you and your son,

cb needs time, you can't just change in a week or 2, so maybe a few months down the line things will look different to her,
at least your still getting to see your son, consentrate on that and keeping off the drink for now, you never know in the future what happens

good luck, keep it up your doing brilliant

Thanks jg yeah he is very important to me.

I know you cant change like that but you can change your path in life which I am doing.

Thanks for the support :)

cgscott
25th April, 2012, 05:56 PM
hows things garry?

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 03:27 AM
Still off it mate but cant say its easy no one round about me family miles away. My time is made up of 3 and a half days myself and 3 and a half days just me and my son, he is one and a half so hard work but worth every second :) but got to stay strong for my boy and I will as he means everything to me :)

Sensory Deprivation
26th April, 2012, 04:13 AM
Right guys I think it's time for me to admit that I have a alcohol problem.

I drink daily, think about drinking, take drink along with prescription meds.

The taking them with prescription meds (diazepam and zopiclone) leaves me to black out and find myself doing things thats not right and that I would not normally do. Although I can black out on alcohol just on its own but not often with the meds its like every time.

I have now lost CB and she has taken our son.

I want to sort myself out I dont want to be without her, I dont want to be a part time dad and I dont want to do things that disgust me.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my adult life and I now realise that alcohol is always close by to the problem.

Are there any other DK members out there that have had a alcohol problem and came through it? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Sorry for getting serious on you guys but you have always helped me out.

Hi Gary, I have done the exact same thing twice. Meaning 2 marriages, 2 kids, and lots of alcohol. I got to raise one and the other was kidnapped by the ex. I got to raise my son by my self with the gracious help of the bottle! Ever heard of Rumplestillskin? Well a 15 year continuous (almost) drunk made countless regrets. Not for the ex wives, but all of the quality time that I chose to miss out on. You black out just a day and you can never live that day again with your child. I never really considered it until I was at his graduation.
And to the rest here, don't hold this against me as I am a newbie and don't want to stain who I am. But I thought you might have needed to hear this Gary.

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 04:28 AM
Hi Sensory, thank you for your post mate and may I say welcome to DK :)

Last night I searched side effects of diazepam and 2 of the side effects mixed with alcohol is black outs and bizzare behaviour. Which explains a lot near the end before everything went to shreds.

Although off it I cant say I personally feel good or like the person I had become.

I am also not eating and drastically loosing weight suppose this goes with not eating lol. Did anyone else experience this? I have had 2 meals this week one because of a visit from my mum and 2 because she left a steak pie for me and nagged me to eat it lol. The meal while she was here i ate it all the steak pie i had a quarter of the portion. Did anyone else experience a eating issue once stopping?

If I could turn back the clock I would in a flash but its too late now, which is a shame as I seriously miss my family even though I have my son 3 and a half days a week it is not enough. It is over between me and my partner and although she is clearly over me I cannot get her out of my head even if I try. I wish I had the chance to prove that im not that guy now.

I know my son loves me now but feel as if he is going to grow up and end up hating me for ending his family :/

happy_highlander
26th April, 2012, 07:30 AM
Your appetite will come back mate it's normal, the professionals forget to tell that bit, it's not just the drink that has removed your desire to eat but the fact that you feel an absolute c**t about what you have done. Give it time and eat little and often. I lost 2 stone then put 3 back on once everything had settled down

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 07:36 AM
Aah heres hoping a just loose the beer belly then put nothing back on lol

So snappy right now also.

lagerland
26th April, 2012, 08:10 AM
Keep up the good work gaz you no its for the best be lucky mate..............

happy_highlander
26th April, 2012, 01:14 PM
Aah heres hoping a just loose the beer belly then put nothing back on lol

So snappy right now also.

I'm sure theres a pretty decent thai boxing club in falkirk mate if you need to get rid of that pent up stuff. I fought one of their lads for the scottish title. I lost that day but won the rematch:D good honest controlled aggression and a ~~~~in great kick in the balls will sort you out lol

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 01:21 PM
lol funny you should mention that was just thinking there how id love a punch bag right now lol

menko
28th April, 2012, 08:01 AM
You'll have to stock up a bit more on food now. You gon be hungry without all those calories :)

Belloriccoefamoso
29th April, 2012, 11:49 PM
how is with your child?

aleister crowley
30th April, 2012, 12:03 AM
It is over between me and my partner and although she is clearly over me I cannot get her out of my head even if I try. I wish I had the chance to prove that im not that guy now.

It isn't over mate. If she thought that then she would NEVER EVER leave you in charge of your child. She would have denied all access because of your drinking...but she hasn't.
She has faith in you as a father and you are building that trust every day. Her love for you wouldn't just evaporate. She is hurt,probably badly, but she still trusts you enough to look after your son.
Take it day by day and don't expect too much.

cactikid
30th April, 2012, 12:27 AM
hi m8 keep the faith you never know what the future brings:party::date::date::handkiss::love:

dustymech
30th April, 2012, 12:50 AM
Garry,
Just came across your post. You have taken a huge step by realizing you have a problem. That always needs to be the first step in changing your ways.

I was about your age when I realized I had a drinking problem. I was able as you seem to have done and quit on my own. It was hard to be around the people / things I was with or do when I would drink, but I kept doing them and left the drink alone.

It took me about 15 years to try a drink again. Today I can buy a case of beer and it can last up to a month for me. I feel I am one of the lucky few that can do that.

My advise, leave it alone totally. Nothing even when you are out to eat, or with friends, or at home alone, or just ever. It is to easy to slip when you say I can handle 1 to go to saying I can handle 2, that leads to falling off that wagon. Stay away from the edge. Maybe someday you can enjoy that pint when you go to eat, but I wouldn't recommend that now.

As for CB, she may be gone but is probably just so hurt and betrayed. It is hard to get past that, but she must have some faith in you to leave your son with you. She would otherwise want to be close when he visits, just in case.

Mainly remember that your son needs his father and YOU need him. Draw on that for strength to get through when ever you feel you need a drink.

Best of luck.

Music73
30th April, 2012, 03:05 AM
I have just come across this thread and haven't been able to put it down.. I really just wanted to say... Good luck Gary...

I wish you all the best in your ongoing battle against your vices.

Hope everything sorts its self out with your relationship, if not good luck with the future you have the strength and will power to succeed and make a great new life for yourself and your son.

All the best..

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

cgscott
6th May, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hows things Garry?

daithi
7th May, 2012, 12:09 AM
Hows things Garry?

just thinking the same hope all is well mate

cactikid
7th May, 2012, 12:24 AM
stop hiding and give us a progress report m8.

cgscott
16th May, 2012, 09:46 PM
Hows things garry. Not heard from youin a while?

cgscott
19th May, 2012, 09:19 PM
Hope everythings well mate. :top:

garry1312
28th May, 2012, 02:32 AM
Sorry guys not been on in sometime not really been drinking but have had other issues going on.

Feel like shit for not coming on here to be honest, but DK and a lot of its members mean a lot to me and with recent (well most likely long existing issues) I have done what I do and thats hide myself away.

Update on the drink I have one pint a week. I have had two slip ups.

I now have a bigger concern which to be honest is scaring the crap out of me and is most likely the cause of my abuse of alcohol and substances.

Hope everyone else is okay and it is good to sign back on already feeling at home :)

super jumbe
28th May, 2012, 11:29 AM
garry live every thing to rest and start a Bootle a day will make you work rest and make you forget booze, from my experience mate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Dairy_Crest_Semi_Skimmed_Milk_Bottle.jpg/220px-Dairy_Crest_Semi_Skimmed_Milk_Bottle.jpg

happy_highlander
28th May, 2012, 06:09 PM
Listen to sj mate he's got a point. No point in hiding away gaz no matter what is or has happened you have a mate here who will never judge you but will give as much support as I can, been there done it and got the full wardrobe never mind just the t shirt. You may feel that you have found the root of the problem but if you be brutally honest with yourself you will have to admit you do what you do because you like it, you may not like yourself very much after but to bury your head in the sand is the same as hiding behind the bottle. It took me a long time to realise that what I thought was the cause of my drinking was just an excuse to hide away from admitting the real truth about how much I enjoyed it. And same as you mate alcohol was not my only escape substance. Stay strong pal and face your demons head on YOU CAN WIN with the help and support that can be found on here, you don't have to face this alone. We may not see you face to face but will always be here to talk.

lagerland
28th May, 2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear you have more issues gaz what is it m8 serous if it is abstinence from alcohol is the only way be lucky m8...............

garry1312
30th May, 2012, 06:53 AM
Listen to sj mate he's got a point. No point in hiding away gaz no matter what is or has happened you have a mate here who will never judge you but will give as much support as I can, been there done it and got the full wardrobe never mind just the t shirt. You may feel that you have found the root of the problem but if you be brutally honest with yourself you will have to admit you do what you do because you like it, you may not like yourself very much after but to bury your head in the sand is the same as hiding behind the bottle. It took me a long time to realise that what I thought was the cause of my drinking was just an excuse to hide away from admitting the real truth about how much I enjoyed it. And same as you mate alcohol was not my only escape substance. Stay strong pal and face your demons head on YOU CAN WIN with the help and support that can be found on here, you don't have to face this alone. We may not see you face to face but will always be here to talk.

Wont say to much the now guys but its not a case of hiding away being sober and dont know the best ways to describe it to be honest or were to even start but I am not well and once I know more myself I will fill use in as use have been a fantastic support and could not ask for better :) the two things I personally think it could be along with family members one of the side effects for both is misusing alcohol and drink and they tend to mask it from myself (not so much others) so coming off it seemed to reveal a lot also.

I went in to my own wee space which I thought was the right thing to do but I am very much glad to be back, theres no point fighting a battle on your own, I tried to push my family away (that includes CB) friends and all my friends on DK.

Well no longer I can let it beat me or man the ~~~~ up and kick its ass lol.

cgscott
30th May, 2012, 07:11 AM
Good on you garry. I have stopped the bevvy as well. Been 12 weeks now. Focusing on getting a business up and running.

Was drinking non-alcohol becks at weekend when we had a barbecue. Some people looking at me funny but it didnt bother me at all. Was good just to have a "beer" when the sun was out but to be honest i dont miss it at all.

One thing i know for sure is when you have a sober head its much easier to get on and do things.

Any chance of reconciliation with you and CB?

garry1312
30th May, 2012, 07:26 AM
Good on you garry. I have stopped the bevvy as well. Been 12 weeks now. Focusing on getting a business up and running.

Was drinking non-alcohol becks at weekend when we had a barbecue. Some people looking at me funny but it didnt bother me at all. Was good just to have a "beer" when the sun was out but to be honest i dont miss it at all.

One thing i know for sure is when you have a sober head its much easier to get on and do things.

Any chance of reconciliation with you and CB?

Not sure mate as said theres more to it than drinking I am not well, symptoms of two things it could be are misuse of drugs and alcohol along with other behaviour problems so to be honest I dont know bud what the future holds. I hope once I am sorted that I can get my own life back, get myself back and hopefully my family bud.

But in the meantime me and CB are being friendly and she has been very supportive and I am very thankful for that because she had a lot to deal with me :/

If we dont get back together mate at the end of the day shes still going to be a very amazing person to me and the best mum to my son I could ever imagine for :)

richard27
30th May, 2012, 08:58 AM
hi garry I hope you'll be happy again I'm very sorry to read a good book for you and I should not rely alone god bless you I pray.....!

tshirtman
30th May, 2012, 10:27 AM
good to hear your still fighting it gaz, don't hide away to much, your mind will start playing tricks otherwise,
if you cant speak to anyone close you can always talk to your GP, try to keep yourself occupied.
best of luck m8 keep at it.

happy_highlander
30th May, 2012, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear your still fighting a good fight. You may still be having a rough time of it but just remember, you are still on the park so still in the game, good luck and stay strong and we'll all still be waiting when you come out the other side. :thumbup:

gopher7
30th May, 2012, 03:33 PM
Keep the chin up garry, it'll all be worth it. Give it time. :top: