PDA

View Full Version : help for sisters husband

leon632
4th April, 2012, 11:43 AM
My sisters husband saw my blade bm7000s in action over the weekend and was intrigued and has started searching for receivers himself.
He found this Dreambox 800 DM800 HD V82 PVR Satellite Receiver with SIM 2.01 NEW (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.co.uk/dreambox/dreambox-800s.htm)
and asked me if it was any good.
It seemed a bit cheap for a dreambox so I wasn't sure if it was a scam site or whether it was a crap box.
I thought i'd post it on here anyway to see if anybody can help me out advising him.

short360uk
4th April, 2012, 11:57 AM
I dont know much about dreambox, but may i suggest a openbox s10, i got 1as a second box for the bedroom and im very happy with it, u can pick up a non clone from ebay for about ?65 inc. delivery

dell_xps
4th April, 2012, 11:58 AM
Its a clone DB hence the price :-), as for the site I dont know, try google for reviews, or maybe someone on here will post up soon if they have purchased from there.
HTH

ramjet
4th April, 2012, 11:58 AM
My sisters husband saw my blade bm7000s in action over the weekend and was intrigued and has started searching for receivers himself.
He found this Dreambox 800 DM800 HD V82 PVR Satellite Receiver with SIM 2.01 NEW (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.co.uk/dreambox/dreambox-800s.htm)
and asked me if it was any good.
It seemed a bit cheap for a dreambox so I wasn't sure if it was a scam site or whether it was a crap box.
I thought i'd post it on here anyway to see if anybody can help me out advising him.

it will be a clone box for a start

and its not for newbies either , as a dreambox is more complicated to setup

the problem here is that anyone who knows nothing about it will ask others like yourself , and you will end up doing all the work and taking all the flak for it , especially if you allow him to get it or get it for him

if you want that challenge and want to be responsible for setting it up and maintaining it , then go ahead

but even if he gets a blade like yours you will be expected to provide the backup service and deal with it when it needs sorting out or fails or whatever

so you can expect midninght phone calls and many trips to sort things out for him

my advice for anyone in this position , ir to make sure that the prospective owner signs up to a forum like this , and deals with the issues themselves and that way they learn to get the job done same as you have done

good luck

Nutsandbolts
4th April, 2012, 12:57 PM
Totally agree with ramjet. I have never had a Dreambox or Blade and from what i have read they do sound a lot more technical and complex than basic receivers like TM5400 which are more user friendly and easier to setup. Regards.

Manic01
4th April, 2012, 01:08 PM
Dreambox or any enigma stb easy enough if you do a little reading.
Blade is same as TM5402 and easy box to use and both have 7 day epg on 28.2e.
If only sharing in, if you need 7 day epg then go for blade/tm5402 if no rew for epg other than now/next then Openbox S9 for ?55 is excellent hd stb for the money.

Nutsandbolts
4th April, 2012, 01:13 PM
I am thinking of buying a TM5402 as my next box i think cost is around 140 pounds. Are they a lot better than the TM5400 SUPER? Any useful comments appreciated. Regards.

Manic01
4th April, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have one, 7 day epg good.
Plays all media files.
Good sensitive tuner.
Has youtube + ~~~~tube built in.
Also google maps/weather too a point lol
Can't fault the box really.
Has a few little niggles but nothing severe and patches are frequent.
A spiderbox 9000 not much dearer and gives you many channels extra for 12 months and worth looking at as well.

leon632
4th April, 2012, 01:24 PM
Im going to advise him on the blade. He lives a distance away so its not something i can setup for him.
I think the reason i havent upgraded from blade is because i only need share in, the box is very simple, updates are good and often and the picture quality is fantastic.

ramjet
4th April, 2012, 02:05 PM
Im going to advise him on the blade. He lives a distance away so its not something i can setup for him.
I think the reason i havent upgraded from blade is because i only need share in, the box is very simple, updates are good and often and the picture quality is fantastic.

agreed

the tm5402 is basically the same as the blade , is closed source (they both are) and the blade bm7000s has better menus and better support

for anybody not wanting much involvement and to be up and running in 10 minutes then the blade is an excellent choice

for the hobbyist or keen amateur the dreambox is a better bet, but the owner should take responsibility for owing it and not expect relatives or friends to do all the work - that is my point here

so for simplicity get an openbox , or eagle , or tm5402 or blade , or a spiderbox

for the hobbyist or enthusiast or for somebody who likes tinkering , get a linux box

and if you are going to be expected to sort the box out for this person , get what you already own , so you know the basics and can use your own box as a source to fix theirs

Nutsandbolts
4th April, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your comments. I will make some comparisons between the Blade and TM5402 and see what catches my eye.Thanks once again.

Manic01
4th April, 2012, 04:30 PM
TM5402 has rf out if needed.
No rf on blade.

Nutsandbolts
4th April, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hi. What difference does the RF out make??. Regards.

potrobber
4th April, 2012, 11:22 PM
rf out means you can send signal thru tv coax to another room

if it was me i would go for the blade bm7000 as its got the online channel update feature thru menu which is a great feature

and controller is better laid out on blade also

the tm fav-group button is in a stupid place also epg button not so good the blade is hard to beat for simple 10 min setup and ease of use

Nutsandbolts
4th April, 2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for your comments. When you say blade which model are you refering to and what is the cost and where in London can you buy one. Regards.

ramjet
4th April, 2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your comments. When you say blade which model are you refering to and what is the cost and where in London can you buy one. Regards.

he means the blade bm7000s which is HD and apart from the rf out is similar to the tm5402

potrobber
5th April, 2012, 12:55 AM

ive had both boxs and now just stick to the bm7000s to me the bm7000 wins for menu layout controller layout and channel update online

its about 10 pounds more than tm but worth every penny you will find them in most good online satshops or maxking on ebay is a reliable seller

Nutsandbolts
5th April, 2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks again for your comments. You have convinced me to go for the Blade. I am not too bothered about the RF option. I have had TM boxes for over 10 years . They are good boxes, very reliable and easy to use and setup. I think its time for a change and go for the Blade. Thanks once again for your input. I am sure that when i get the Blade i will be asking for advice from yourselves. Take care.

potrobber
6th April, 2012, 06:32 PM
you made the right choice m8 you will not be dissapointed