PDA

View Full Version : New Vu+ Duo Owner....don't have a clue???

vuduo
5th April, 2012, 11:42 AM
hi guys,

i've just received my vu+ duo today. Other than the old cable dbox2 boxes with Neutrino, i have never messed with any other satellite box with linux, so i think i'll need a lot of help and advice to get me going.

The vu+ duo has blackhole installed. Here is what i have from the information:-

Black hole version: Jan 8 2012-vuplus_experimental
Image: Blackhole 1.7.0

Frontprocessor version: 0
Detected NIMs:
Tuner A: BCM7335 DVB-S2 NIM (internal) (DVB-S2)
Tuner B: BCM7335 DVB-S2 NIM (internal) (DVB-S2)

Detected HDD:
none

If the above info is okay, what is my next stage? i simply want to setup to get s-?-y u-k channels to work.

father ted
5th April, 2012, 11:44 AM
ok connect it to dish it has 2 tuners so if you have a dish with twin core cable you need to connect then, then you need to scan ,then the hard part ...do you have your own card? or are you hoping to use a sealion?

vuduo
5th April, 2012, 11:47 AM
thanks father ted. For now i want to use single tuner (1 cable).

I have a freeview card, if that is any good? Or i am willing to go with a reliable/highly recommended s-e-r-v-e-r.

What do you recommend?

PS. What is a sealion?

dell_xps
5th April, 2012, 12:02 PM
Is this a clone m8 ?, just curious thats all, BH is a tad complicated for a beginner, but thats just me.
If you only have one cable you can use the loopthrough :-)

vuduo
5th April, 2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry i forgot to mention, yes dell_xps mate, its a clone. For now i'm not too worried about the cabling as long as i can get the channels i want to watch....i'd be most grateful if someone could help me...maybe PM me if i'm too much trouble on here.

dell_xps
5th April, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sorry i forgot to mention, yes dell_xps mate, its a clone. For now i'm not too worried about the cabling as long as i can get the channels i want to watch....i'd be most grateful if someone could help me...maybe PM me if i'm too much trouble on here.

I've got a spare 30 mins m8, shoot me a pm.

vuduo
5th April, 2012, 01:23 PM
Dell your a star man! your the best! Thank you for all your help...appreciate it!

vuduo
6th April, 2012, 10:07 AM
Can i just say a BIG BIG THANK YOU to Dell_XPS, who spent a lot of time helping me with my first setup...mate your an absolute star!

I do like blackhole 1.7.0, but it's way too complicated. But my biggest issue is the fact that it's got a parental control feature, yet many advanced features are still available for kids to mess about.

What is Vix image like? Does it have better parental control features? Can you recommend a different image which is more child-friendly?

God i miss the good old days when dbox2 had images which allowed a user to hide almost every menu, other than the very basic...why can't we do that with these images?

benny/9
6th April, 2012, 10:52 AM
does the box have the v2 sticker on it?
if it does you can use any genuine image.
if not it will need the kernel updating first
with the null modem cable and rs232 board
you got with box to use the latest images.
next does your computer have a fixed 9 pin
serial port, you can only use a fixed port a
usb to serial converter wont work on a vu clone

vuduo
6th April, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks mate...theblackhole img allows me to lock channels and services,but why not settings?

Surely there must be an image (genuine vu or not) that protects or hides advanced settings...otherwise kids can everytime disable ccam or rescan or delete files

Also could I get any basic games to play?

dell_xps
6th April, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hi m8, Vix image wont you let lock down the menu either I'm afraid, best option is to get a hard drive installed, then create a backup image, so if the kids do press buttons and delete stuff, you can go back into the backup manager and reinstall back to how it was, or transfer the working image to your computers hard drive for safe keeping :-)
HTH

digicon
6th April, 2012, 01:20 PM
You cant lock any main menus on any E2 image on any receiver, if you had gone for something like a Closed source Receiver say a TM5402 this allows a Parental lock on all advance settings in the main menu structure so nothing can be changed without the pin.

Probably something for the image makers to look at in the future.

dell_xps
6th April, 2012, 01:29 PM
I shall ask over at the Vix forum how difficult it would be to put this on an image :-)

cactikid
6th April, 2012, 01:34 PM
or lock remote away for your own use lol

vuduo
6th April, 2012, 04:01 PM
it only makes sense to have a lock on any settings that could mess up. no point in putting parental lock/pin on channels, if kids can go into the settings and wipe out the whole image.

@ cactikid - then it beats the point of having the system for the whole family, if each time kids have to find me to watch their favourite movies.

vuduo
7th April, 2012, 04:11 PM
dell thanks for posting on the question on the other forum...i've replied on there and hope you can pm to let me know when you'll be online.

thanks mate

dell_xps
7th April, 2012, 04:44 PM
Im on just now m8, been on later on away for T :-), leave my skype on for ya ok !!

vuduo
7th April, 2012, 04:59 PM
i've been on skype, but its showing u as offline

vuduo
8th April, 2012, 09:49 PM
hi dell mate, send me a PM to let me know when you'll be online, today or tomorrow.

thanks buddy.

dell_xps
8th April, 2012, 10:09 PM
On skype now m8, just for 10 mins then off to bed for me, up early :-(