PDA

View Full Version : Sky Channels Maybe Coming Back

gav12345
6th May, 2008, 08:07 AM
Virgin Media and Sky have resumed talks on their dispute over basic channel carriage, according to reports.

Virgin stopped carrying Sky's basic channels in March last year after they fell out over charges. Virgin said Sky was asking too much for its basic channels, such as Sky One and Sky News, while not offering to pay enough for Virgin's wholly-owned television channels.

Reports this weekend said negotiations were thought to be taking place though a deal remained "some way off".

Virgin launched a legal challenge against Sky in April which is due to reach the High Court some time this year. It has been suggested talks are stepping up in an effort to avoid a legal showdown.

The cable company has maintained for several months that it is still discussing the issue with Sky and acting chief executive Neil Berkett spoke about the issue last week.

"We?ve got continued interest in securing Sky basics back on our platform, that?s been evident since the close of the first quarter,? he said after announcing fourth quarter results.

"It would be inappropriate for us to talk about where we?re at."

C64
6th May, 2008, 01:39 PM
Someone said that Sky will be desperately trying to mend bridges with subscribers and providers as they are worried over the release of the new Freesat service from the BBC and ITV.

They reckon that advertisers will jumpship from the over priced Sky channels and join the Freesat service, if Sky lose subscribers then they'll also lose advertisers which will mean multimillions of lost profits

I really like Sky TV, but they are bullies.

Jaffa
6th May, 2008, 01:42 PM
Can say truthfully that I havent missed there channels, at the start I did miss sky sports news but along came setanta sports news so I dont care if they never come back.

I think Sky need to get an agreement as the competition is getting stronger.

@witchy...bullies is just about the right word to describe them.

thommo
6th May, 2008, 01:44 PM
be good if freesat can be got on other receivers than the ones its sold with. more hd into the mix cant be bad. be nice to see sky one back on cable too.

jwiley
6th May, 2008, 03:30 PM
it would be nice to have sky one back on cable. how many channels will freesat be offering? is it the same freeview channels but in a hd format?

mmfarhan
8th May, 2008, 12:36 AM
what about movie on demand..? is it possible to watch movie on demand on dbox2

aftermath
8th May, 2008, 06:57 AM
what about movie on demand..? is it possible to watch movie on demand on dbox2

no,
movie on demand ( FRONT ROW ) i assume, requires a unique pin number , issued by your service provider. And as far as i know you can only get them on your subbed box.
Although you can get sky box office PPV. and some Pron.

ozfromcuba
12th May, 2008, 10:23 PM
best thing i ever did was get rid of sky,saved me self 40+ snots a month,and yes I welcome freesat with open arms,am getting freesat in for the wife,and i will stick with my beloved dreambox:D:D

Neil
13th May, 2008, 02:44 AM
Although you can get sky box office PPV. and some Pron.

There is no ~~~~ on cable. You need a dish pointing at 19.2E or 13E for ~~~~.

I hope freesat will be available on my Dreambox 7000.

C64
13th May, 2008, 12:24 PM
no,
movie on demand ( FRONT ROW ) i assume,

Where u been hiding mate, Front Row was replaced yonks ago :)

@ Neil - Some people call that UK based garbage ~~~~, they've never heard of Sexview, SCT, Dorcel, Redlight etc....

:)

thommo
13th May, 2008, 02:46 PM
speaking of freesat ive got itv hd on my technomate (as of today), part of freesat, nice addition to my hd sat box lol.

nothing on but a repeating filming of a city (london) and some country side oh and wembley stadium shots.

hope theres some programs to watch soon.

turion
14th May, 2008, 08:02 PM
Virgin Media and Sky have resumed talks on their dispute over basic channel carriage, according to reports.

Virgin stopped carrying Sky's basic channels in March last year after they fell out over charges. Virgin said Sky was asking too much for its basic channels, such as Sky One and Sky News, while not offering to pay enough for Virgin's wholly-owned television channels.

Reports this weekend said negotiations were thought to be taking place though a deal remained "some way off".

Virgin launched a legal challenge against Sky in April which is due to reach the High Court some time this year. It has been suggested talks are stepping up in an effort to avoid a legal showdown.

The cable company has maintained for several months that it is still discussing the issue with Sky and acting chief executive Neil Berkett spoke about the issue last week.

"We?ve got continued interest in securing Sky basics back on our platform, that?s been evident since the close of the first quarter,? he said after announcing fourth quarter results.

"It would be inappropriate for us to talk about where we?re at."

sounds good too me . heres hopeing as sky one was the only decent channel on virgin/