PDA

View Full Version : coax cable

ssttaagg
9th April, 2012, 11:43 AM
i have my aerial coax for the tv in the kitchen all pined at the back of the plasterboard's and to my aerial on the roof and want to connect the tv to my dish and use a small f/v box.
can i use the same coax to do this please.

nibblitz
9th April, 2012, 12:04 PM
Yep, you can use one coax to carry combined TV antenna & Satellite signal. You'll need to use a pair of diplexers, one on each end, or just one diplexer taking feed from dish and antenna, and then a diplexer wall outlet.. Like these..

Combiner, SAT/UHFVHF: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Outlet Plate TV, FM and Sat Diplexer Face Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

:)

Manic01
9th April, 2012, 12:04 PM
Aerial coax is inferior, so not relly mate.

seanmckeown
9th April, 2012, 12:55 PM
i bought a 50m roll of aerial coax and used it on my sky dish for a second box, using about 35m of it, and my sat signal is exact same as on my first box, high 90's

Manic01
9th April, 2012, 01:05 PM
Your sat signal will always be strong on a strong satellite like 28.2e
It's how long it will last, and also the loss that it can incurr.
Go ahead and use the old coax if it makes you feel better.

cactikid
9th April, 2012, 01:08 PM
ramjet has a nice saying i like " buy cheap buy twice"

ssttaagg
9th April, 2012, 02:31 PM
the coax is already in the wall and i cannot get it out or put a new one in, i just wondered if it was ok to use.

Manic01
9th April, 2012, 02:47 PM
You may be able to tape a new one to the old and pull it through.

dick b
9th April, 2012, 03:44 PM
the coax is already in the wall and i cannot get it out or put a new one in, i just wondered if it was ok to use.

check if the coax has a foil screen as well as braid if it does it will probably be ok.

digicon
9th April, 2012, 04:24 PM
I have not seen 'Aerial' cable for many years only the cheap crap that B&Q sell, anything half decent will have a Foam dialetric Foil shield and braid shield.

RG6 :tends to have Foam,Silver Foil, Silver Braid

TX100,WF100 : Foam, Copper coated Foil, Copper Braid

ramjet
9th April, 2012, 04:53 PM
I thought they were a different impedance too

I do know you can use sat cable for aerial feeds , so it acts as a dual purpose coax

I would not recommend "bog" standard aerial coax cable for satellite or cable use, I suspect that some frequencies will be badly attenuated and the screening isnt good enough either

as cacti says , buy cheap you buy twice

I just see problems down the line where some transponders may get poor signals due to excessive line attentuation

digicon
9th April, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sat cable is generally used for both these days my suppliers dont do anything but Sat cable, Both Freeview and Sat are now Digital signals so probably why Aerial only cable is hard to find

nonfractal
11th April, 2012, 05:25 PM
I have reused cables already in the walls as satellite feeds. My 1970's house is cinderblock internals and plaster (not plasterboard). I have not seems any appreciable difference in signal level or quality although I am only judging this by the levels shown by the decoder boxes. A professional meter would show this clearer. Suggest you try to feed the sat-feed through your old cables before you buy the diplexers, that way you can try before you buy.