PDA

View Full Version : from dm 800 to vu+ duo

damiensk
11th April, 2012, 12:37 AM
chaps, couple of questions if i may!!!!!!!!!!!!
want to update from my dm 800 to ??
was going to get a dm 8000 clone, ( duel tuner etc)but was recomended to look into get a vu+ duo.
having a quick look around and seen on flea bay, that they are going for about ?300, presume thats got to be for the an original, which if it is, is a good price, unless someone says or recomeneds anybody else??

do they run like a dm 800? i.e bouquets, cccams, epg's etc etc.
have noticed that you need a 9 pin 232 cable port, which i have on my pc, is this to flash new images etc, or can you do it via the web browser?
no doubt i will have a few more questions before i commit!!

up to now im about 70/30 in favour of the duo!!!

thanks in advance

dell_xps
11th April, 2012, 10:15 AM
Avoid Ebay m8, get ripped off with a clone,
google world of satellie, get a genuine 1 for ?300,
you dont use an rs 232 cable, thats for clones, flashing is done by usb.
Vu's rock !!

digicon
11th April, 2012, 12:18 PM
Get a Clone mate you will not notice the difference between it and the original, All these people saying avoid clones and get originals are talking shite.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a clone once flashed with the Latest Kernel 3.1.1 you can use any image you like, and to answer your question its exactly the same as the DM800

Put it this way do you spend ?300 original or at the current exchange rate around ?180 for clone

dell_xps
11th April, 2012, 12:24 PM
So Im talking shite now m8 ?

digicon
11th April, 2012, 12:28 PM
Did not mention you talking shite, i said that in a general sense of the word as it keeps cropping up all the time.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but one that is biased towards buying originals and from a certain e-retailer, When has already been proven there is Zero problem with Clones

benny/9
11th April, 2012, 01:23 PM
in the last few weeks i got a vu+duo clone to test
again'st the genuine vu duo model that i have.
and i have compared both with various images
and apart from having to update the clone with
the rs232 board and a null modem cable it works
every bit a good as the genuine model in every way.
and also loads the genuine images, the down side of the
clone models is you need a computer with a fixed 9 pin com port
to do the updates it needs to use the latest images. these boxes
will not update with any make of usb to serial converter cables
but having the genuine box i'm going to sell the clone on as i dont
need both boxes. i think i need to see if i can get a clone on the bay,lol
but i think there will always be different views on clone
models. but if the genuine models especially dreambox
prices were not so high i dont think we would consider
buying anything but a genuine model i have also tested
a clone 800se again'st my genuine model and find no
difference in there quality except the clock looses time
in standby on the se clone,

dell_xps
11th April, 2012, 01:28 PM
Tiz early days for clones Digi, saying that my power supply went on my original
vu after 6 months, luckily it got replaced under warranty.
What sort of warranty does the clones have ?,(and Im not trying to be a smart arse)

digicon
11th April, 2012, 01:44 PM
Tiz early days for clones Digi, saying that my power supply went on my original
vu after 6 months, luckily it got replaced under warranty.
What sort of warranty does the clones have ?,(and Im not trying to be a smart arse)

LOL i know what you mean but it does appear many forum members are sourcing these from UK suppliers at a little extra cost, Like you say if you buy from china then your warranty is with china and most suppliers there will replace with another one but ask you to send back at your own cost.

So yes there are pitfalls with buying from china but the same can be said from any e-retailer from the UK as well, many wont pay the postage for you to send it back for a replacement a truly good retailer is the one that stumps up all costs.

Fano
15th April, 2012, 05:50 PM
Put it this way do you spend ?300 original or at the current exchange rate around ?180 for clone

I've recently seen a few German retailers selling genuine Vu+ Duos for 300 euro plus 20 euro delivery.Thats less than ?270 .

damiensk
17th April, 2012, 11:21 PM
gents,
as previous i opted for the vu+ over the 8000dm.
thanks to benny/9, for everything.

got everything up and running, epg, picons, hdd, bouqets etc.

i have just one question,

i bought the box so i could record 1 channel and watch another that wasnt on the same tp. ( which i wasnt only able to do with my 800)

so i have got my tuner A working my motorised dish.
tuner B is not set up, so if i run another cable from my lnb to input 2 at the back, do i then just need to set tuner B like tuner A, or is there a better way of doing it, setting up!!! ( i understand that i wont be able to watch say 28 and record a channel on 13)
p.s think the vu+ is far better than my 800, should of done it ages ago.

thanks for any help.

dell_xps
18th April, 2012, 04:12 PM
If tuner B is set up to = tuner A you will just be able to watch one channel and record another channel from where the sat is pointing to m8, think you would need a static dish say pointing at 28.2 to do what you are asking.

RuberDuck
18th April, 2012, 05:10 PM
If your using a Twin LNB run the first cable from the motor to Tuner A then the other feed direct from the LNB to Tuner B and set tuner B to SAME AS. this will allow you to tune to any channel on the satellite your currently pointed at.

damiensk
18th April, 2012, 06:27 PM
thanks chaps, so a bit like having a sly box, where you can record and watch other channels. will run another cable from the lnb ( 4 way anyway, so got plenty of scope) to tuner B and set it as same as tuner A.
will that then just mirror A as the name suggets or do i have to scan the diffrent sats on tuner B??

also when i do pip ( pic in pic) will that be better once i have tuner B set like tuner A, because at the moment when i do pip, the smaller pic jumps a lot, or am i missing something?

thanks for any replys

digicon
18th April, 2012, 06:40 PM
It will Mirror Tuner A no need to rescan will act just like your sly box, PIP is so-so the hardware is not really up to it in the Duo

RuberDuck
18th April, 2012, 08:12 PM
thanks chaps, so a bit like having a sly box, where you can record and watch other channels. will run another cable from the lnb ( 4 way anyway, so got plenty of scope) to tuner B and set it as same as tuner A.
will that then just mirror A as the name suggets or do i have to scan the diffrent sats on tuner B??

also when i do pip ( pic in pic) will that be better once i have tuner B set like tuner A, because at the moment when i do pip, the smaller pic jumps a lot, or am i missing something?

thanks for any replys

PiP on the Duo is not fully supported by the hardware hence the staggering effect. there are a few plugins you can use to improve this but it's never going to be fully functioning PiP.

scoobyjones1
25th April, 2012, 08:17 AM
I've recently seen a few German retailers selling genuine Vu+ Duos for 300 euro plus 20 euro delivery.Thats less than ?270 .
Where? I dont want a clone because I cant do the null modem nonsense. Where can I find these retailers please mate?

gsmtech
25th April, 2012, 12:22 PM
All duo clones are now mostly v2 versions already updated so you dont have to use serial cable. Might have to for future updates though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

mdt
25th April, 2012, 06:23 PM
PiP on the Duo is not fully supported by the hardware hence the staggering effect. there are a few plugins you can use to improve this but it's never going to be fully functioning PiP.

the lack of functioning pip is a major let down in a twin tuner box and imho marusys dropped a major clanger with this omission, regards mdt

mdt
25th April, 2012, 06:25 PM
Where? I dont want a clone because I cant do the null modem nonsense.

its not brain surgery m8, takes about 5 to 10 mins usually, regards mdt

j1mjam
12th August, 2012, 03:37 PM
If your using a Twin LNB run the first cable from the motor to Tuner A then the other feed direct from the LNB to Tuner B and set tuner B to SAME AS. this will allow you to tune to any channel on the satellite your currently pointed at.

i have the above setup on my VU+ duo (original) but when i switch to another chanel whilst recording all i get is a black screen... (both feeds are working fine tested on a m8s sly box)

any help would be appreciated...
thanx