PDA

View Full Version : taxi

true grit
12th April, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi I?m thinking of taking up taxi driving any d.ks done this for a living? Can you make a decent living? Is it best to own your vehicle or use the firms?

I can think of a few negatives insurance, running costs, long hours and drunks, is there any positives?

cheers.

:viking:

smirnoff_rules
12th April, 2012, 09:36 PM
u and a thousand of people a week ,, l have m8's that have called it a day m8 ,, the money is shit and no one is out drinking in the towns now ,, very slow trade . the old hands get the school runs not newbies

DOUGALMCD
12th April, 2012, 09:37 PM
Do you have a family and are we talking private or public hire?

patkins
12th April, 2012, 09:47 PM
Done it years ago working for a firm.
Stress and aches.
Hated the winter and hanging around airports for delayed flights. I couldn't fault the customers I had over several years of doing it...the problem was other road users.

mast
12th April, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi

If you dont get any school runs you can forget it as smirnoff says not much trade out there and with all the hassle just not worth it.

Chances are youl end up losing your licence anyway as you may end up speeding around to make a living, I know drivers who have ended up with so many points resulting in higher insurances etc.

Regards

DOUGALMCD
12th April, 2012, 09:57 PM
You have to have a certain temperament. You need to be able to go to work with a clear mind and a big book. If you don't look for too much you won't be too disappointed when you have a crap day.

johnboy1974
12th April, 2012, 09:57 PM
Mate as you can see from my avatar im a cabbie working the streets of glasgow. Right now the taxi game is suffering just like every industry is suffering. Life is hard and right now im doing 5 12 hour shifts, thats mon-fri dayshift 6 till 6.
I can make a living but its hard. If you are thinking about coming in i suggest you rent a car or cab to try it out for a few months. You can always walk away if it dont pay or you simply dont like it. If you buy in from the start then thats a long term financial burden.

johnboy1974
12th April, 2012, 10:01 PM
u and a thousand of people a week ,, l have m8's that have called it a day m8 ,, the money is shit and no one is out drinking in the towns now ,, very slow trade . the old hands get the school runs not newbies

Very true smirnoff, but you soon find your feet and learn where the jobs are through luck or just word of mouth. A hard game right now but can be rewarding for those that put in the hours.

DOUGALMCD
12th April, 2012, 10:07 PM
Of course you have to put the hours in that's why I asked if he had family. You know especially in Glasgow the work isn't there the way it was years ago. It is a tough game.

clem58
13th April, 2012, 12:48 AM
You would be better off gettin a van and makin yourself available to ether delivery firms and puttin cards on notice boards that your available to transport goods , it could be house hold or building material. Always get paid up front.

Taxi drivin just destroys your faith in human nature. My worst memory was mothers day , that was a nightmare.