PDA

View Full Version : EPG is messed up

vuduo
14th April, 2012, 12:07 PM
hi guys,

all has been running smooth for a few days...But now, i've noticed that my perfectly working 7 day epg on the vu duo is messed up.

If i boot up the box, leave it on for a bit, no epg loads. The only way i can get epg is to manually change to a channel, then the epg ONLY FOR THAT CHANNEL will show, but only for now and next...weird, huh? :help:

cactikid
14th April, 2012, 12:47 PM
dont power off box as that erases your epg data and you need to download again.

vuduo
14th April, 2012, 01:05 PM
I never heard that before.. I've turned the box off many times before, but epg has always reloaded.

How do I now fix this?

RuberDuck
14th April, 2012, 01:20 PM
dont power off box as that erases your epg data and you need to download again.

not quite correct.

The EPG.dat file is only read from or saved to when the box reboots is shut down or during a daily update if one is set, the EPG data it self is held in live memory so technically yes powering down will indeed clear this live data but a re-download will sort that.

as for the original problem the EPG.dat file it self is very easily corrupted and in these cases it's best to delete it all together and re-download. as the EPG is held in live memory simply deleting the EPG.dat file will not work as the receiver will just re-write the file with the already compromised data from it's live memory. and doing a daily update again will just write ontop of already compromised data again resulting in a compromised EPG.

to delete it properly you need to do the following.

Start a telnet session
issue the init 4 command to kill enigma
FTP into the receiver and delete any and all EPG.dat files you can find.
go back to the telnet session and issue the init 3 command to wake enigma.

now re-download the epg with a clean EPG.dat and you should be fine.

lincsat
14th April, 2012, 02:00 PM
IMO, it's best to delete all the contents of the /media/usb/crossepg folder as the descroptors files don't purge properly and tend to get very big

vuduo
14th April, 2012, 02:12 PM
rubberduck and lincsat, thanks guys for your advice.

i'm very new to this and got help from dell_xps to setup the epg, so what you guys have just said does not make sense. The only access i have is on the network i can see the folders...can i edit the files from there?

which app do i need? what do i exactly need to do? is there a step-by-step guide?

thanks

digicon
15th April, 2012, 12:38 AM
Did you download it to an external USB drive if so as lincsat said just delete the whole EPG folder and then download again.

And just for good measure in the Crossepg setting - Configure change the 'force epg reload on boot' to yes.

vuduo
15th April, 2012, 12:44 PM
thanks for your reply digicon mate. The good news is that i fixed the problem. I simply kept the blue button on remote pressed, until i got a menu - i chose CrossEPG Downloader and redownloaded the epg...now works flawlessly!

Thank you again.

lincsat
15th April, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ah, sounds like you have not set CrossEPG to auto-update - or if you have, then the auto-update failed.

Go into configure and check you have set it to update daily and pick a suitable time for it to update.

cactikid
15th April, 2012, 02:26 PM
with all the upgrading of cable services in uk,might it have been possible internet was briefly off line when the download became faulty?