PDA

View Full Version : smart car remap

Mjolinor
15th April, 2012, 07:47 AM
I want to know about remapping, some questions to start.

smart 2003 pure, 700 cc and as far as I know it is standard.

Someone fitted a S-Mann air scoop on it and a foam filter but I think that is all. Maximum power I can get from it on my Android tablet over the OBD is about 54 HP. I think it should be a 50 HP engine but not sure.

Is it likely to show over 50HP with the 50 HP engine in it's unmapped state?

Anyway. Can the Mercedes Star stuff remap, if not then what do I need?

There are apparently a lot of maps that will give about 30% improvement without bothering with rolling road testing and a lot of people say they are good. Where can I get one of these for my car?

What can I look at the maps with, presumably some Windo$e software of some sort.

I would like to make it stop when I go into neutral and start when I put it in gear, is this the sort of thing I can do with remapping software?

A few links to reading that don't want me to empty my wallet maybe, sensible ones with some technical information.

ominimicu
15th April, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mercedes star wont remap.
In order to read the maps, you need toe extract the info of a flash inside the ECU: this is done by manually desoldering and using a programmer or VIA OBD connector using programming tools...cheapest for your car would be Galletto 1250

Afterwards you need map editing software(Winols or ECM or Swiftec)

-it can be made to start stop if your Automatic gearbox has its own electronic control module, but will also require cable modifications.

-And last once you have the file there are a lot of pro tuners here to gain you extra 30hp..more its not possible without mechanic modifications

Mjolinor
15th April, 2012, 03:46 PM
Will the Galletto 1250 remap over OBD? What about the KWP2000, they are cheap enough.

Gizbern
15th April, 2012, 07:03 PM
Will the Galletto 1250 remap over OBD? What about the KWP2000, they are cheap enough.

Galletto 1250 writes the ECU (without open ECU)
Galletto 1250 reads the ECU, but You must open ECU.

Mjolinor
15th April, 2012, 08:46 PM
So do I really need to read it as most people use standard maps is there information in my ECU that needs to be included in the map?

ominimicu
15th April, 2012, 09:19 PM
hmm..no, if you give us the ECu serial numbers. I can get you the original file, without you having to exctract it. from people that previosuly exctrated it on the same car

Mjolinor
15th April, 2012, 10:38 PM
So there is nothing specific to my ECU then?

All smarts with the same model have the same ECU file at the factory?

So the standard (non dyno) modified maps that people talk about will be the same too?

wiseman
16th April, 2012, 09:22 AM
Buy a galleto 1260, plug into obd port and On the software click ecu data. This will give you an ecu software number and hardware number. Take a note of this and someone who has access to an original file database will get your file without you having to remove the ecu to put into boot mode.

As gizbern said galletto will write to your ecu without the need to remove the ecu, it's a good tool, Mpps tool claims to write to your ecu but I did a smart last week and Mpps couldn't do it,ended up using galletto, it even reads the EEPROM well

Mjolinor
16th April, 2012, 05:48 PM
OK, none of you leave the country, I just bought one. Don't you wish you kept your mouth shut now :)

Mjolinor
18th April, 2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/33749-mjolinor/albums/pics/5817-info.jpg

What next?

audiomeca
18th April, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hello. send me a private message, with your email address, I send original file, and the best tune file in the world for your car

Not necesary serial number, all 006 units can run all 006 softwares versions, only diferents numbers are updates from smart factory.

regards

Mjolinor
18th April, 2012, 09:53 PM
Now the problems start. If I get these files I need to know a lot more about them before I consider putting them on my car so I need more information. I will look at them and maybe if I feel brave try teh unmodified one on the car :) Then when I have worked up to it I will try the modded one I suppose but I may find a spare ECU first

Mjolinor
19th April, 2012, 04:38 AM
Does the galleto 1260 use ISO 9141. The smart allegedly uses ISO 14230. Is this why it can't read the ECU Flash?

I can bring out the CAN and connect it to pins 6 and 15 on the OBD plug, would this allow the galleto 1260 to read the ECU properly?

filecloud
19th April, 2012, 07:27 AM
Does the galleto 1260 use ISO 9141. The smart allegedly uses ISO 14230. Is this why it can't read the ECU Flash?

I can bring out the CAN and connect it to pins 6 and 15 on the OBD plug, would this allow the galleto 1260 to read the ECU properly?

No.
Reading of flash is not supported on old smart ecus. This has nothing to do with K-Line or CAN or the toool you use.
The number you posted is enough for the tuner which will do the car.
greetings,
filecloud

Mjolinor
20th April, 2012, 07:48 AM
So does anyone have some files for this serial number?
It is not a roadster, it is a Pure. I don't know if that information is in the screenshot.

maglaras
20th April, 2012, 09:11 AM

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL FILE THAT YOU NEED

audiomeca
20th April, 2012, 02:50 PM
No.
Reading of flash is not supported on old smart ecus. This has nothing to do with K-Line or CAN or the toool you use.
The number you posted is enough for the tuner which will do the car.
greetings,
filecloud
Reading ecu is posible with galleto in boot mode

regards

audiomeca
20th April, 2012, 02:52 PM
It is not a roadster, it is a Pure. I don't know if that information is in the screenshot.

not necesary, already I send to you the original file from your car, and a tunned file, the tunned file is the best tunning file in the world for this car.

Try with galleto, load file in galleto and program.

Regards

filecloud
20th April, 2012, 03:15 PM
This file is not original!

Mjolinor
20th April, 2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the input fmor everyone. Do not for a minute believe that you have finished :) I am sure I will be back with more questions when I have perused this new input.

I stuck winols on and it just seems to me to be a bit of fancy software for viewing, comparing and editing hex files, maybe I am missing something there. I can find no way for it to help me "remapping" the original file or learning what has been done n a modified file.

How do I find things like clutch operating speed and gear change speed, auto change down revs etc. etc. That information is certainly in this file somewhere.

Mjolinor
21st April, 2012, 08:19 AM

This file has thousands of differences from the other "original" file I was sent.

It all makes me very nervous as it is so easy to trash the ECU or worse burn holes in pistons and stuff.

I realise that there is risk involved when you don't know what you are doing and for sure I don't know what I am doing.

I now have 3 files, this one, another that is supposed to be original and a third with 90 in the filename. I am assuming the 90 refers to the power. 90 seems an awful big jump from 50 (I think it's 50) without any hardware mods, I think I would have been happier with a smaller increase as it is really economy I am looking for anyway, let's face it, it's never going to be an F1 machine, it's a smart car.

I need to satisfy myself that these files will not trash the ECU and will not damage the car. Comparisons between the original (not this one) and the 90 file seems to make sense, I can see the increases in the maps being what I would expect to see mostly.

filecloud
21st April, 2012, 09:54 AM
Conclusion:
- Read your own file from the car in bootmode or solder the chip and use programmer to read it. So you have a backup when you decide to play.
- If you really want to learn then try to learn with another car wich is easier to understand like an old E30 BMW. And take your time for it!!!! Smart is a small car but not easy to understand and not easy to tune good either.
- If you only want to tune your car then go to a tuner in person, have him tune the car, make a good testdrive afterwards and when you are happy then pay him.

Tuning cars is no product as many people think. It is a service! And the service starts with a full car diagnosis of an experienced person, goes over to a test drive before and after tuning and a final check of all values and maybe a dyno run. And finally the payment.

You will not learn how to tune a car by chatting in a forum!
greetings,
filecloud

gmb45
21st April, 2012, 09:59 AM
Conclusion:
- Read your own file from the car in bootmode or solder the chip and use programmer to read it. So you have a backup when you decide to play.
- If you really want to learn then try to learn with another car wich is easier to understand like an old E30 BMW. And take your time for it!!!! Smart is a small car but not easy to understand and not easy to tune good either.
- If you only want to tune your car then go to a tuner in person, have him tune the car, make a good testdrive afterwards and when you are happy then pay him.

Tuning cars is no product as many people think. It is a service! And the service starts with a full car diagnosis of an experienced person, goes over to a test drive before and after tuning and a final check of all values and maybe a dyno run. And finally the payment.

You will not learn how to tune a car by chatting in a forum!
greetings,
filecloud

consider yourself told mj lol

Mjolinor
21st April, 2012, 05:02 PM
consider yourself told mj lol

But I don't listen anyway. :) Bigger fish to fry right now anyway, it started spewing oil out.

So how do I put the ECU in boot mode?

smirnoff_rules
21st April, 2012, 05:03 PM
But I don't listen anyway. :)

u ever driven one of these in the snow .. lol there a laugh , un drivable is the word

furnata
23rd April, 2012, 06:36 AM
But I don't listen anyway. :) Bigger fish to fry right now anyway, it started spewing oil out.

So how do I put the ECU in boot mode?

Hi for boot mode you'll need to open ECU then solder one wire to pin 24 on the flash chip 29f400. Connect the ECU to car put wire from 24 pin to mass go to contact without start engine when Galleto recognise ECU start Galletto read , and remove the mass pin 24. So that is
Writing same way- I do that with Galletto 1250
BR

donesko
23rd April, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hi for boot mode you'll need to open ECU then solder one wire to pin 24 on the flash chip 29f400. Connect the ECU to car put wire from 24 pin to mass go to contact without start engine when Galleto recognise ECU start Galletto read , and remove the mass pin 24. So that is
Writing same way- I do that with Galletto 1250
BR

you connect to the ground with or without resistor

furnata
23rd April, 2012, 07:38 AM
Without resistor

Mjolinor
26th April, 2012, 08:13 AM
-it can be made to start stop if your Automatic gearbox has its own electronic control module, but will also require cable modifications.

I can't see why it will need any wiring mods. I am pretty sure it is software only and I would not be surprised to find a disabled routine in there to do it already.

Start is ECU controlled already, you can tell that because you can flick the key to start and let go before the engine starts turning, it still starts on its own.

filecloud
26th April, 2012, 09:00 AM
... and I would not be surprised to find a disabled routine in there to do it already.

:-)
Where you want to find it? Please keep us updated about your efforts.
The smart program has been disassembled almost complete. No hidden tricks anymore. No start/stop.
But there are several security functions that you would have to disable if you could write your start/stop program and flick it into the software.
1) You can stall the engine in any mode if you are unlucky but engine start is only possible if you switch to neutral. How to solve that without driver interaction?
2) On the smart brabus you can code automatic light switch on when you drive. Light goes out when engine stalls. How to override this in BSI?
3) If you stop uphill the brake automaticly holds the car from rolling backwards. This is done with the help of the ABS pump. If engine stalls you suddenly roll backwards. No funny thing.

greetings,
filecloud

Mjolinor
26th April, 2012, 09:39 PM
:-)
Where you want to find it? Please keep us updated about your efforts.
The smart program has been disassembled almost complete. No hidden tricks anymore. No start/stop.
But there are several security functions that you would have to disable if you could write your start/stop program and flick it into the software.
1) You can stall the engine in any mode if you are unlucky but engine start is only possible if you switch to neutral. How to solve that without driver interaction?
2) On the smart brabus you can code automatic light switch on when you drive. Light goes out when engine stalls. How to override this in BSI?
3) If you stop uphill the brake automaticly holds the car from rolling backwards. This is done with the help of the ABS pump. If engine stalls you suddenly roll backwards. No funny thing.

greetings,
filecloud

That bloody uphill start shite would have to be one of the first things I would remove :)

So where can I get the disassembled listings then?

filecloud
27th April, 2012, 08:31 AM
So where can I get the disassembled listings then?
Nowhere. I suggest you make your own efforts to do your disassembly. This is long time hard work of a handful of people and no open source project!
greetings,
filecloud

BigPerformance
27th April, 2012, 08:39 PM
The ABS doesnt let you over ride it, I have tried.

Chris at MySmart in Athens can help you MJ, tell him that

Ian from BigPerformance.Co.Uk (Ian@BigPerformance.Co.Uk) sent you

Mjolinor
27th April, 2012, 08:54 PM
The ABS doesnt let you over ride it, I have tried.

Chris at MySmart in Athens can help you MJ, tell him that

Ian from BigPerformance.Co.Uk (Ian@BigPerformance.Co.Uk) sent you

Not in Athens anymore :( back in the UK. May be there next week though.

Bazil_mb
28th April, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi,
It's possible to download in your EDG a Brabus flash if you have a star diagnosis and a tan code, in control module programing.

Mjolinor
28th April, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hi,
It's possible to download in your EDG a Brabus flash if you have a star diagnosis and a tan code, in control module programing.

From reading and looking into it there are problems with it and once installed you cannot remove it with the DAS software.

Mjolinor
2nd May, 2012, 09:59 AM
Can anyone tell me what flavour the microprocessor is in the ECU please?

audiomeca
2nd May, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hi,
not posible if not make scn post to reflash, the car not run without scn and brabus tunning file

regards

Mjolinor
2nd May, 2012, 04:28 PM
OK, ECU off and read. I read it 4 times, 2, 3 and 4 were identical, 1 was different and gave checksum errors in winols so I scrapped that one and figured the others were correct.

It is not the same as any of the files posted in this thread.
Here is the file.

Please can someone confirm that it is correct and explain why the difference from the two original files in this thread.

Moved 2 posts down and zipped.

maglaras
2nd May, 2012, 04:43 PM
i dont now why but i can not open your file??????????

Mjolinor
2nd May, 2012, 04:44 PM
i dont now why but i can not open your file??????????

It is not rar, it is just a bin file. DK won't let you upload bin files so I changed the extension.

Are you trying to unrar it?

I will delete the first one and leave this zip, save space on DK :)

This one is zipped.

Mjolinor
3rd May, 2012, 12:33 PM
Been and gone and done it :)

Used a file from audiomeca marked "90" so presumably 90 hp. The car does not feel any different at all but to be fair I am not driving it hard for a few more miles yet as I just re-ringed it and ground the crank and valves as well as rebuilding the turbo.

Bit concerned that my max boost only seems ot be about 6.5 psi which is certainly low, I think I need to look for air leaks or something.

Mjolinor
30th May, 2012, 02:25 PM
Making my way up this steep learning curve.

Why will the Gallieto not let me write the EE.

I read hte Flash in boot mode, I wrote the Flash in normal mode, I can read hte EE in normal mode but I cannot write the EE, the software says the file is the "WRONG FILE DIMENSION" and it will not even open it.

I got a faulty 5005 ECU and to me the hardware is exactly the same as the 5006, having mended it I wanted to stick my 5006 files on and try it but I can't write the EE and without that the VIN won't match. I can't really be bothered removing the EE as to me I should be able to write it in situ.

It's powered up on the bench, not in a car.